Life After People

ssampier

First Post
I am torn. I think the visuals and the science behind the show is great. The message of the show I am not so sure.

I almost feel the same about Earth Abides. Okay, the world does not need humans. Now what?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, having seen several episodes of it, I'm going to stop now.

I like the science and the extrapolation, but there is just too much focus- especially visually- on the fate of our pets and other animals in captivity.

I'm just tired of having my heartstrings plucked.

Who says were hidden. Someday you may have a chance to sue the aliens who abducted your ancestors.

IIRC there was a subplot about that in an episode of Babylon 5. It's where it was established that the Vree are the "Grey Aliens." I thought it was one of the more subtle ironies of the show that the main human concept of extraterrestrial life for decades is a minor player, at best, on the galactic scene.

Then again, what SETI said about reception is the answer to the Fermi Paradox. Even though most answers to the Drake Equation state that extraterrestrial life should be fairly common, we might not hear it because frankly we can't hear their comn chatter over the background noise.

As for the show (Life After People), I found it very depressing. Seeing cities crumble, monuments collapse, and almost every sign of everything humans have ever done on Earth be erased after only a few centuries isn't exactly "feel good" TV. I stumbled across an episode while channel surfing with my wife while we were looking for "cuddle up and relax" type TV, since I'm a big History Channel fan I thought this would be good, comfy TV. Uh, no. After about 15 minutes of watching cities crumble and the remains of civilization turn to dust we changed the channel with extreme rapidity.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
IIRC there was a subplot about that in an episode of Babylon 5. It's where it was established that the Vree are the "Grey Aliens." I thought it was one of the more subtle ironies of the show that the main human concept of extraterrestrial life for decades is a minor player, at best, on the galactic scene.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that reference.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Then again, what SETI said about reception is the answer to the Fermi Paradox. Even though most answers to the Drake Equation state that extraterrestrial life should be fairly common, we might not hear it because frankly we can't hear their comn chatter over the background noise.

That is assuming the Drake Equation is correct and sufficient to model the existence of extraterrestrial life. That point is debatable.

That is assuming the Drake Equation is correct and sufficient to model the existence of extraterrestrial life. That point is debatable.
Well, it's really just a product of several likelihoods, as such it's not really very much in need of proof or anything. It's basically useless, since we don't know any of the likelihoods described in the product, and we would need to know them all before it gives us any usable information. It would probably just confirm what we already know.

As for the show (Life After People), I found it very depressing. Seeing cities crumble, monuments collapse, and almost every sign of everything humans have ever done on Earth be erased after only a few centuries isn't exactly "feel good" TV. I stumbled across an episode while channel surfing with my wife while we were looking for "cuddle up and relax" type TV, since I'm a big History Channel fan I thought this would be good, comfy TV. Uh, no. After about 15 minutes of watching cities crumble and the remains of civilization turn to dust we changed the channel with extreme rapidity.
What we can take from that is that the only way to leave a heritage and memories of our existence is to keep humanity alive. ;) If you want to gain "immortality" by people remembering you forever, ensure that there are still humans around in the future. Because there will be no aliens digging up your biography or tombstone 5 Million years from now, thinking about who you were and what you might have done.

Last edited:

Remove ads