D&D (2024) Lifetime boycott of D&D-branded products?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Today is January 13.

Do I understand correctly that the Anti-OGL (1.1) is now officially in effect?

It doesnt matter if anyone signed on to it.

The "de-authorization" would be now already in place.

Hasbro-WotC can at a later date try claim a precedent, the OGL 1.0a would have been dead since as of today.

Hasbro-WotC never retracted this January 13 deadline.
The latest leak suggested that the adjusted license is going out on 1/16.

Yaarel

He Mage
Thats fine. Thats the wonder of morality, reasonable people can disagree.

They certainly failed in my view, but I dont see value in crushing small businesses when you are a megacorp, personally.
Not to mention actually violating terms of contract in order to crush those small businesses − and the many DMs who freely contributed their creativity to the Open Gaming Content.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thats fine. Thats the wonder of morality, reasonable people can disagree.

They certainly failed in my view, but I dont see value in crushing small businesses when you are a megacorp, personally.
I doubt they thiught they were "crushing" anyone, at least.

Scribe

Legend
I doubt they thiught they were "crushing" anyone, at least.

You are free to hold that view. When looking at the money they were looking to extract, I doubt they had anything in mind but suppression of competition.

Personally, when many many creative folks said 'this is a huge issue for me' I'm going to take their word for it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You are free to hold that view. When looking at the money they were looking to extract, I doubt they had anything in mind but suppression of competition.

Personally, when many many creative folks said 'this is a huge issue for me' I'm going to take their word for it.
Hoping to get royalties is a different thing than "crushing," and it is hardly abnormal let alone immoral to pursue that. Doesn't bother me.

Remove ads