• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

light and chalk = neons?

PrinceZane

First Post
Just a simple little thread, but unsure of the complexity of the answer/result.

So our sorc/wizard (forget which he is) casts Light on a piece of chalk. Now chalk is a bunch of chalk dust particles that separate upon contact (hense how it spreads/writes).

If you write with the chalk with light cast on it, would it leave a light "trail" if you drag it along a wall? (obviously only for the duration of the spell etc). As far as I can think of I would rule yes, but just curious what you guys thought.

We were transporting a wagon of food from a city to a castle outside of town, and a running joke of the cleric just sitting in the wagon eating sandwiches while we were busting our tails with the random encounters/bandits/rogues/etc. The sorc/wizard decided to write "Homage's Hogies" (Homage being the cleric's name) on the side, just as a "Eat at Joes" parody. Ironically, the quest we started with the journey had a band of 50-ish orcs to capture us in the 4th night of travel, which is the night they decided to write the "neon" sign. Naturally several comments/jokes were made about the orcs just "being hungry" and a diplomacy check by the cleric/soc to try to make a sale.

the Jester

Legend
Oh dear, this goes right back to the ol' "what if I cast light on the water in a bottle and then pour it into two bottles" question. :heh: :]

I like the idea, but I would argue that the writing left behind is no longer part of the piece of chalk that is affected by the light spell.

Krelios

First Post
I too like the idea from a flavor standpoint, but I agree that this opens a can of worms that is best left closed. Unless you really want to make rulings on how much fluid/gas counts as an object, etc... in which case, you're a braver man than I.

I always rule that the spell only affects the largest portion of a deformable object and that evenly dividing anything into exact halves is impossible at a molecular level (random which piece has the effect if they're all the same size). Of course, if the object were solid at the beginning of the spell, then breaking/destroying it ruins the magic, just as with any other magic item.

shilsen

Adventurer
Krelios said:
I always rule that the spell only affects the largest portion of a deformable object and that evenly dividing anything into exact halves is impossible at a molecular level (random which piece has the effect if they're all the same size).

That's how I'd do it. Also, I have the light emanate from a point on the object. So no casting light on a 100 ft coil of rope and having all of it glow.

Of course, if the object were solid at the beginning of the spell, then breaking/destroying it ruins the magic, just as with any other magic item.

I think that rule counts for actual magical items, not an object with a temporary spell on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads