Spelljammer Light of Xaryxis Experiences?

at a minimum you can (and should) also write in several scenarios in which the players can earn this
You are talking about adding a substantial chunk of narrative for each major NPC, much of which won't be used. Not really a starter in a limited page count adventure.

And, unless the author pulls a Dragonlance and expects the players to play a pregenerated character, they have no idea who the PCs are, and what their connection to characters in the story is. They don't know which of the NPCs is a PC's ex-wife, or second cousin once removed. That's the sort of stuff the DM and players need to put into an adventure to make it meaningful.

mamba

Legend
You are talking about adding a substantial chunk of narrative for each major NPC, much of which won't be used. Not really a starter in a limited page count adventure.
It sounded like there was one NPC destined for this, if it can be any of 10 or so, then yes, there is no way

It sounded like there was one NPC destined for this, if it can be any of 10 or so, then yes, there is no way
As I said, I haven't read it, but if there is only one, then it should at least suggest what the PCs need to have done/said in order for them to be willing to sacrifice themselves.

And one would assume a "bad" ending in which no one is up for sacrificing themselves and disaster happens is also a possibility. I would say bad endings in which the heroes fail to save the day are more common in comedy than they are in drama.

OB1

Jedi Master
Ran this in the fall for my group as a break from my homebrew campaign and everyone had a blast. We typically play 4 hours a session, and with the episodic structure, I spent roughly half of each session making things up on the fly as they pushed outside the details provided. Never found it difficult to get them back on track to lead into the next episode. I also found I had the PCs on the ropes in almost every fight, and that was even playtesting the 'monsters don't crit' rule from the playtest. They did get 2 friendly NPCs killed, and another they pissed off enough to leave, so I had to do some creative work on the final chapter to make it all fit.

Best advice I can give is to make sure your players on on board for a railroad-y adventure, and that they create characters who are going to be dedicated to the save the world plot. Also, start each session with the theme song to Flash Gordon. Set's the right mood for the kind of insanity they'll be getting into.

Has anyone prefaced LoX with something other than Spelljammer Academy? Personally I'm thinking of having the PCs start as Captain Fel Ardra's crew (unknowingly helping her uphold her end of an Infernal contract) and doing some short adventures for her before the main plot kicks in and Commodore Krux gets involved. This could possibly inject some divided loyalties between Ardra and Krux. I'm also thinking of agents of the devil Ardra made a deal with coming to collect at some point.

I also think I want to build up Hastain as a recurring villain, if possible, who was part of the reason Krux lost in their previous altercations with the Xaryxians.

Also Space clowns have to become relevant at some point.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I played it to completion in 6 sessions of 4 hours each. This was within Adventurer's League, so each session it was a different DM, and a different group of players, because of this I'd say it's not hard to stick those cliffhanger landings. Granted AL is a bit more railroady that regular games, you have to play game.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

Remove ads