Lightfoot Halfling Naturally Stealthy Trait

redkobold

Explorer
I find the Lightfoot Halfling trait, "Naturally Stealthy", sort of useless. "You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you." I think I will house rule this to be "You have advantage when attempting to hide or move without being noticed". Thoughts?

I'm with the group on this one. Being capable of moving about the battlefield unnoticed is awesome, and if they're able to keep up with their cover, they're probably going to be as good as invisible. And the best part is that you can actually sneak up and slip into a target's shadow and stab them, something most other rogues struggle with. This ability makes melee rogues viable in this edition without the use of spells.

Sadrik

First Post
It basically gives you a special case where being in a special type of half cover can grant you the ability to make a Dexterity (Stealth) check to hide. As soon as you leave that cover or that cover leaves you though you are discovered. The DM can however, at their option, allow you to leave the cover and make a Dexterity (Stealth) check to remain unseen. I think the skulker feat would allow you to do this same thing too - hide in a lightly obscured area of which half cover could be.

For the halfling trait to be better it might be better to allow them to hide in all instances of half cover and not just cover provided by another creature. At nothing else it is a weird trait. Nix it, I approve, instead give them proficiency in stealth. This would be more useful in many more circumstances.

Remove ads