• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Lightning Bolt 3.0/3.5 vs older editions

Centaur

First Post
In 3rd edition D&D, lightning bolt originates from the casters hand and travels out to its range. this is great and easy to interpret, however it is also a huge departure from earlier editions of the spell.

In earlier editions (IIRC), the caster was able to pick two points within range that the bold would arc between. often this was the caster and some distanat target, but was not required to be.

This made it a great spell fro attacking lines of soldiers or defenders on a wall etc.

Has anyone in their campaigns re-instated the old decription and if so, did they find it a problem?

slwoyach

First Post
That's not exactly how it worked. In 2e the caster picked a point within 40 yards +10 yards per level. The lighting bolt originates at that point and goes in a straight line "away from the caster." The bolt was either 10 feet wide and 40 feet long or it was 5 feet wide and 80 feet long; no more and no less. So the caster couldn't simply pick two points and have a bolt arc between them. It sounds like a good spell though, but it would need to either do less damage or be 4th level.

p.s.

I like the 3e version better.

rgard

Adventurer
I haven't changed the 3x version in my campaigns.

What I did like about the 1e version was that you could fork the bolt. Also, the bolt could richochet back at the caster if it hit something it couldn't punch through.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I used to run into players who tried the "shoot around corners" idea with 1E/2E Lightning Bolt. They liked to overlook that part that says it goes directly away from the caster.

We also used to see a lot of people who wanted to play pinball with it, bouncing it around a room at odd angles. Again, reading only the parts of the spell they wanted to. It seems to be a common trait among gamers. (I've been found guilty of it myself on occasion.)

I ran a tournament game at a convention many years ago, one of those where the same module is being played at eight or ten tables at the same time with different DMs. My usual opening was to emphasize that we have to play by the book rules, not anyone's house rules, since not everyone played by or even knew the various house rules. I gave the specific example that Lightning Bolt rebounds directly back at the caster when it strikes a wall or other "non conducting" surface it can't blast through.

And what happens? One of the players tries to do a bank shot with a lightning bolt, and then gets upset when I tell him it doubles straight back at him instead of bouncing around the room.

Question regarding 3e Lightning Bolt: Normally you plot spells like this from a line junction on the mat to another line junction. Presume that we're throwing it straight north-south, meaning straight along that dividing line.

According to the SRD: "A line-shaped spell shoots away from you in a line in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and extends to the limit of its range or until it strikes a barrier that blocks line of effect. A line-shaped spell affects all creatures in squares that the line passes through."

I've heard people argue that the "120 ft line" of the area is effectively a 5 foot wide path, either on one side of that divider or the other. Others argue that it affects squares to either side of the dividing line. As written, the case I gave would affect nothing unless it straddled that line, since it doesn't "pass through" any of those squares.

How do you play it?

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
I've always heard it was a 5ft wide path, but that it could affect both sides under certain geometric conditions.

Vegepygmy

First Post
According to the SRD: "A line-shaped spell shoots away from you in a line in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and extends to the limit of its range or until it strikes a barrier that blocks line of effect. A line-shaped spell affects all creatures in squares that the line passes through."

I've heard people argue that the "120 ft line" of the area is effectively a 5 foot wide path, either on one side of that divider or the other. Others argue that it affects squares to either side of the dividing line.
The "others" are correct.

Greenfield said:
As written, the case I gave would affect nothing unless it straddled that line, since it doesn't "pass through" any of those squares.

How do you play it?
I play it by the book. I don't know if the SRD includes it or not, but the illustration on page 176 of the PHB says: "All squares through which the line passes or touches are affected by the attack."

sjmiller

Explorer
I just read the 3.5 SRD and compared it to my 3.0 SRD and PH. After having done so I see where WotC created more trouble then they needed to with this spell. Here is what the 3.0 SRD says:
3.0 SRD said:
Lightning Bolt
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) or 50 ft. + 5 ft./level
Area: 5 ft. wide to medium range (100 ft. + 10 ft./level); or 10 ft. wide to 50 ft. + 5 ft./level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
The character releases a powerful stroke of electrical energy that deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to each creature within its area. The bolt begins at the character's fingertips.
The lightning bolt sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in its path. It can melt metals with a low melting point, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, or bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the bolt may continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s range permits; otherwise, it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.
Notice that the area is either a 5-foot wide path or a 10-foot wide path. It's not a line, cone, or anything potentially confusing. The 3.5 SRD says it is a line, and that is where the trouble begins. I think I am going to continue using my 3.0 rules on that one. Saves me a lot of hassle as a DM.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Notice that the area is either a 5-foot wide path or a 10-foot wide path.
Where does it say it is a "path"?

EDIT: Never mind, I see it. Still not sure how that is any better or less confusing than the 3.5 version, though.

sjmiller said:
It's not a line, cone, or anything potentially confusing.
I don't see what's confusing about a line or a cone. I do see a lot of potential confusion with a 5-ft. wide ______ or a 10-ft. wide ______. Maybe it's just me.

sjmiller said:
The 3.5 SRD says it is a line, and that is where the trouble begins.
What trouble? I'm not being snarky; I really have no idea what problem you're perceiving with a 120-ft. line.

Remove ads