• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Likely poison mechanics

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Li Shenron said:
I hate it.

I hated how poison was done in 3ed... REAL poisons are substances that affect you gradually and often slowly. Poisons in tales and stories are scary when you don't see them coming (e.g. hidden in food, delivered with a barely noticeable scratch), when their effects become relevant later so that it takes a while to understand you're poisoned, and when they drag you down slowly before killing you if you don't find a way to stop it.
"Oh, Londo, you are a fool. You walk away from the greatest power I have even seen, and now you expect me to do the same. They are the key to my eventual rise to the throne. Why would I abandon them?"
"Because I have asked you. And because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink."

:cool:

Li Shenron

Legend
Kahuna Burger said:
"Oh, Londo, you are a fool. You walk away from the greatest power I have even seen, and now you expect me to do the same. They are the key to my eventual rise to the throne. Why would I abandon them?"
"Because I have asked you. And because your loyalty to our people should be greater than your ambition. And because I have poisoned your drink."

:cool:

Please please do NOT tell me how it goes on! I'm in the middle of B5 series just now :D And I'm already collecting lots of ideas to port to D&D!

Oldtimer said:
A thing about the Spined Devil stats, though. There's no Fortitude attack bonus listed for the poison. Sure, you could be poisoned automatically if hit, but how do you "save"?

Unless you read that as:
Spine Rain Standard;
Type: ranged
Increment: 10'
Attack: +9 Dex vs Ref
Damage 1d6+2 +2d6 fire AND secondary attack:

Secondary atttack, Poisoned
Attack: 5
Damage: Slowed while Poisoned.
{made with the assumption that Poison attacks are always vs Fort....
... and yes, that means really poor layout, but makes sense with the limited information we have.}

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Primitive Screwhead said:
Unless you read that as:
Spine Rain Standard;
Type: ranged
Increment: 10'
Attack: +9 Dex vs Ref
Damage 1d6+2 +2d6 fire AND secondary attack:

Secondary atttack, Poisoned
Attack: 5
Damage: Slowed while Poisoned.
{made with the assumption that Poison attacks are always vs Fort....
... and yes, that means really poor layout, but makes sense with the limited information we have.}
Not so likely. Look at the Doomspore - its poison is a Fortitude attack at +10, but it still says Poison 5 on the effect. So I doubt that the Poison 5 notation on Spined Devil actually means "Fortitude attack at +5, effect Poison". We don't really know what the "5" means, but since Doomspore had its Fortitude attack listed separately, I don't think the "5" is the attack bonus.

Jhaelen

First Post
Oldtimer said:
We don't really know what the "5" means, but since Doomspore had its Fortitude attack listed separately, I don't think the "5" is the attack bonus.
Doesn't DDM use that notation? I'd say poison 5 simply means 5 points of (poison) damage per round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads