D&D 5E Limited Wish - Money Maker?

FarBeyondC

Explorer
The easiest (guaranteed) way to make money would be to offer spellcasting services to other people. Heroes' Feast, Raise Dead, Reincarnate, and Awaken are some good choices for immediate money.

So what I'm saying is, none of us should mistake our own path to satisfaction for a universal thing. What makes D&D 5e our game of choice over PF 2e or 13th Age is that it does have the Champion Fighter for the guy who really just wants to make two attacks per round and nothing else. That range of character complexity is a major selling point.

Sure, but i think this point is a tangent from the original issue. I was merely arguing that a larger toolbox doesn't necessarily lead to less creativity, not that a larger toolbox is, or should be, a universal preference of players.

The easiest (guaranteed) way to make money would be to offer spellcasting services to other people. Heroes' Feast, Raise Dead, Reincarnate, and Awaken are some good choices for immediate money.

Heroes' Feast has been brought up a few times and it at least sounds like a fun business opportunity, if not a get-rich-fast exploit. We'll see if there's room in the campaign for a Mediterranean restaurant.

I went back to double check and noticed:

"As an action, you can speak your desire to your Genie’s Vessel, requesting the effect of one spell that is 6th level or lower and has a casting time of 1 action. The spell can be from any class’s spell list, and you don’t need to meet the requirements in that spell, including costly components; the spell simply takes effect as part of this action."

I guess heroes' feast is out. Definitely not as strong as I thought at a glance.

One of the spells that I would feel would be a game changer in a campaign is teleportation circle. You can make it permanent by casting it every day for a year but that is time consuming and expensive. Being able to cast it without the components (even just one of a two-way travel) would be cost saving. The time factor is limiting though. One year is a lot of down time and makes such endeavours for a PC almost impossible. In any case, if it could be done, you could open a transit way or a shipping company. Even a link between two major cities could net you lots of money.

edit. One action limit makes it impossible.

One of the spells that I would feel would be a game changer in a campaign is teleportation circle. You can make it permanent by casting it every day for a year but that is time consuming and expensive. Being able to cast it without the components (even just one of a two-way travel) would be cost saving. The time factor is limiting though. One year is a lot of down time and makes such endeavours for a PC almost impossible. In any case, if it could be done, you could open a transit way or a shipping company. Even a link between two major cities could net you lots of money.

edit. One action limit makes it impossible.

One cool thing about the genie warlock is that you can get Wish at level 17. That's going to to open up a lot of opportunities that Limited doesn't.

Zuzomatyi

First Post
Leomunds secret chest is 5050gold of component that u can keep at the end of the spell wich can be when you cast it again. Thats a lot of gold. Other than that casting time 1 action kills lot of good spells sadly. Still nice skill

At level 14, challenge should be of Kingdom or Empire level.
Money should not be a concern for day to day life.
You would need money to raise armies, build fleet, hire thousand of skilled researchers, abusing for 10 000 gold is worthless.

Zuzomatyi

First Post
At level 14, challenge should be of Kingdom or Empire level.
Money should not be a concern for day to day life.
You would need money to raise armies, build fleet, hire thousand of skilled researchers, abusing for 10 000 gold is worthless.
With this skill alone u can keep a 1010member 2gp skilled hireling/day all year long (365day) is a start :D

Zuzomatyi

First Post
My queetion is what is the spell save dc this on this thing. I would say infintie since the genie casting it. And what if you can modify the spell while the duration still ongoing like move earth?

Genny_Claire

First Post
If your DM is ok with the scheme, it might be fun to make money by creating a bunch of Leomund's Secret Chests then selling the chests and replicas as non-magic items. Limited wish says "you don't need to meet the requirements in that spell, including costly components", the costly components of Secret Chest are "an exquisite chest, 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet, constructed from rare materials worth at least 5,000 gp, and a Tiny replica made from the same materials worth at least 50 gp". According to the wording of the spell you could technically use this spell to establish the chest in the Ethereal Plane then you could summon it with an action using the replica which your wish also grants, you may then "choose to end the spell as an action". If you do this every few days you would end up with quite a few 5,000 gp chests to pedal. Have fun and don't use the loophole too much! :)

Remove ads