• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

limits on leadership?

Runestar

First Post
And then your cohorts take leadership as well, and their cohorts...

Throw in the draconic leadership feat as well and that is quite a merry band of forces you can get there...;):lol:

prospero63

First Post

IMO that interpretation is one of the ways that DM's allow leadership to be abused. For example, the XP rules don't seem to have a mechanism for dealing with a cohort of a cohort since it's dependent upon the PC XP (which can't apply to a cohort). I know there is all sorts of debate on this, which is why I house rule it to end debate, much like any other rule interpretation that can be game unbalancing...

Drowbane

First Post

Throw in the draconic leadership feat as well and that is quite a merry band of forces you can get there...;):lol:

And lets not forget the forces of undeath (vampire PC or cohort with vampire master prc lvl... HD +cha x2 in vampiric HD for minions... each of which have a base of HD x2 in thier own minions). :D

concerro

Explorer
would you, as a DM limit the number of times that a group could take the 'leadership' feat?

i currently game a group of 4, and two have already taken it. the other two are one level behind the others due to death and i'm wondering if they may also take it - would you limit this manner of thing, or welcome it?

frankly, i'm undecided and could go either way. your thoughts, sages of enworld?

I would allow if the player had a good reason to have it, but I would not give him all the followers in the book. He/she might get one cohort, and two higher level followers. He would only get the others as fluff. They would not have a mechanical affect in the game without my approval.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Leadership is the only core player-available feat that I, as DM, have to approve.

Yes, I'd limit it, probably to one PC, and whoever wants it needs to do a pretty good job convincing me. I'm pretty much anti-"NPC-with-group," and always have been.

BluWolf

Explorer
I don't allow the Leadership feat at all. Not that the feat as written is inherantly broken I have always felt that this is more of a story/roleplaying aspect of the game. Breaking it down to a feat was just way too limiting in my opinion.

I use a template system that grants bonuses based on certain in game assumptions. Most of them predicated on holdfasts and granted boons with in a certain framework. A framework can be titular like a king granting title and lands to a PC, or it can be guild based.

Mechanics wise I still use a rule of thumb on the followers and cohorts being lower level but it is more gut feel than hard and fast.

Remove ads