• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Line of effect" question

Palskane

First Post
I am currently running a game where a mage wants to cast a "Sleep" spell through a window. The window is closed. Does this mean that he does not have a line of effect to those inside the room, even though he can see them clearly and there is no actual spell mechanic going through the window, such as a ray, cone, etc?

This could set precedence for the rest of the game, so I'd like to make sure I rule consistently.

Goolpsy

First Post
I would say no. Take this as an example: Jade wants to cast a sleep on Jane, jane is within a house of bricks and with no windows whatsoever..
So jade reach inside her backpack for a crystal ball.. and sees Jane.. Could Jade cast Sleep on Jane?

If yes.. then you can cast it through a window too.. if no.. Then u can't.

If you went ethereal first i might allow it.. but:p

Corsair

First Post
Wall of force, wall of ice both will stop line of effect as well (though on second thought wall of ice might be opaque).

Basically: Anything which would keep out solid matter will stop line of effect (for the most part)

Palskane

First Post
Corsair said:
Wall of force, wall of ice both will stop line of effect as well (though on second thought wall of ice might be opaque).

Basically: Anything which would keep out solid matter will stop line of effect (for the most part)

Yeah, now that I read the line of effect rules, it states that any solid object blocks line of effect. So, even though the window is transparent, it still blocks the LoE. Even though they could throw a brick through the window, it stops the spell cold. Odd in a way, but still RAW.

RigaMortus

Explorer
But can't the magic find it's way in? Surely there are some cracks and creaves that the "magic" could weave it's way around to take effect.

What about this scenario... T = Target; W = Wizard; and the lines are walls made of glass:

....___T___
...|
...|
W|

Wizard can see through the glass walls and see target. The glass walls meets at a corner, but neither the target nor Wizard are at the corner. Still, they are within range of Sleep spell, they have line of sight and line of effect. If the Wizard casts Sleep, could he target the enemy? Would the Sleep spell travel around the corner to get to the target? What if it was Magic Missile?

Silveras

First Post
Goolpsy said:
I would say no. Take this as an example: Jade wants to cast a sleep on Jane, jane is within a house of bricks and with no windows whatsoever..
So jade reach inside her backpack for a crystal ball.. and sees Jane.. Could Jade cast Sleep on Jane?

If yes.. then you can cast it through a window too.. if no.. Then u can't.

If you went ethereal first i might allow it.. but:p

Actually, that is a bad example, as you can cast some[/B ] spells though a scrying sensor (which includes a crystal ball).

Goolpsy

First Post
my example was with Sleep... but ye it might have been.. but its likely that those spells would work through the window too .. if aren't limited by the normal range and solid block bounderies

Silveras

First Post
RigaMortus said:
But can't the magic find it's way in? Surely there are some cracks and creaves that the "magic" could weave it's way around to take effect.

What about this scenario... T = Target; W = Wizard; and the lines are walls made of glass:

....___T___
...|
...|
W|

Wizard can see through the glass walls and see target. The glass walls meets at a corner, but neither the target nor Wizard are at the corner. Still, they are within range of Sleep spell, they have line of sight and line of effect. If the Wizard casts Sleep, could he target the enemy? Would the Sleep spell travel around the corner to get to the target? What if it was Magic Missile?

Line of Effect requires a straight line.

Player's Handbook said:
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier.

Sleep is a burst, though, so you need Line of Effect to where the burst is located. After that, the center point can have a different Line of Effect to the creature you actually wish to affect.

The Wizard in this example coult target the "corner" for the origin point of the sleep spell. IF the Target were within the area of the sleep spell from the corner, the Target could be affected that way.

However, magic missile aims for the target directly, and so would not work.

Palskane

First Post
RigaMortus, in the example you gave, then yeah, I can see how the spell would be put into effect. My example is a bit different though.

There is no way for the spell to be cast around or through the wall or window, since the target is inside of a room. Even though the wizard can see the target, the target is well within range, and the spell has no physical necessity to to go through the window since it has no ray, cone, missile, etc... it appears by the RAW that the spell is stopped.

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
RigaMortus said:

....___T___
...|
...|
W|

I'd say no across the board. The magic isn't a homing missile. It's a paintball. You fling it at the bad guy and when it hits him, some effect takes place. Even Magic Missile requires a straight line for its "tracer magic" to hit the target, and thus guide the force effect unerringly to its destination.

At least, that's how I'd rule it, based on the Line of Effect rules and my own inclination. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads