• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lingering innocence...

Terraism

Explorer
We'll be starting up a new campaign soon, after a long hiatus on my (the only one willing to DM) part, and the direction's going to be a bit different than normal. We're thinking somewhat 'reluctant heroes' - not morally ambiguous ones, but, rather, common village people thrown into doing what they need. Now, I'm not thinking too common, but more the type that'd be in the backwoods town for their entire life - someone who might, at sixty, finally make it to a sixth-level mage, or cleric, or... you get the idea? Not people who adventure, really, but just stay around town and help out with odd things. The village cleric, the hedge wizard, a minor pickpocket, that sort of thing. Of course, seeing as they'll be starting around their youth, plans for the future are going to be a little disrupted... heheh [Evil DM laugh.]
What this boils down to is starting the campaign with the PC's from the littlest part of the world, where not much goes on, and slowly moving them out into the broader reality - opening their eyes, so to speak. My question, then, is twofold - does anyone have any suggestions for realistically prodding the characters into taking action? Please note that the players are understanding - but we're trying to keep that backwoods feel to the characters; that sense of innocence that they wouldn't have growing up in the big, harsh, world. Now, the next part would be - how would you suggest classing the characters at first? I'm thinking apprentice levels of a NPC-class and a PC class would work in some cases - like and Expert/Wizard for the eventual mage, but the others... I'm not too sure. Should I just let them start at first level? My problem is, I guess, the ambiguity of 'first level.' They're not really wide-eyed with wonder at that point, but, at the same time... understand my problem? It's not one that I'm finding easy to explain, which is probably why I'm not coming up with a ready answer to it. Anyway, suggestions and advice would be useful.
Oh, by the way - the eventual goal of the players/characters is to approach the high levels, so this won't be a 'low level' campaign, but, at the same time, they'd like to retain that sense of concern for the 'little people.' At 20th level, I can still see them being motivated by concern for their home village - even after seeing the planes in all their glory, or some such.

Last edited:

Limper

First Post
Might I suggest (and this is something I'm still working on having been originaly inspired by a comment from SHARK)...... ECL them at +2 or +3. +2 equates to either 3 NPC class levels with the perks (4 levels if commoner) +3 I've been putting for 4 levels of NPC classes with perks (except Commoner as stated above). As for feats create a limited list (mostly background [+2/+2 2 skill feats]) to choose from.

You could modify this down if you wanted. But I'm seeing it as a good tool to add background (with appropriate skills and talents) and not penalize the PCs.... heck I'd love this as a PC. Also using this would slow down the lower levels without making them to boring ( Your character has some ability).

Example combo: Town Militiaman Commoner 2 / Warrior 1 ECL+2

For the ECL you get commoner skillpoints x2 and warrior point x1 two feats (from the DMs list) some HPs and save bonuses. AND a splendid stepping off point into the Fighter class.

I know this is VERY rough.... as I said I'm still writing on it myself (as well as being at work with no notebook).... but I hope it helps.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
One thing occurs to me; don't have them be apprentice level, make them a little older. Kind of a life passed them by, they've forgotten their dreams, kinda settled into a humdrum existence, and BOOM! something happens to kick them into gear.

For example, the hedge wizard might be a Wiz 1 who makes 1st level potions for the locals, he's maybe 30 years old, possily has a hut, possessions, things that he'll miss when whatever the life altering event takes place.

You can RP that event, or let it be detailed in their background. Maybe its the same thing for everyone - the village is attacked, a village elder is kidnapped while the local ruler and his retinue are out of town and they have to bring in the B-team, etc.

Or it could be different things for each. The wizard blew up his cottage making burning hands potions, the village priest is falsely accused of an impropriety and must clear his name, the fighter got kicked out of the town guard for sleeping on the night shift.

If they start young, they'll still be thinking of themselves as future "great heros" or great somethings. Let 'em be a little beaten down.

Limper

First Post
Kid Charlemagne: 30 is not defeated! Hell it's young. Kids these days...... why I remember when I was young walking uphill both ways in the snow........... we were happy just to have shoes......

Terraism

Explorer
Limper - I like the idea... it'd give them the skills and stuff life at home would probably do... the only problem is keeping them young and still giving them levels. That builds off of 'Lil Charlemagne's suggestion - while the idea'd probably work better with older, more 'burnt-out' people, the players have their eyes set on younger characters - for the humans, somewhere between 16 and 19. Now, they don't have an objection to a year or so gap (game time) between a few of the adventures, and at first, that'd probably be a better idea - after all, not like a lot happens to the backwater towns, after all. ;) That'd give them some time to mature, and maybe a taste of what there is aside from life at home. Maybe after two or three crisis', they'd decide to start looking for more. Good ideas, though - thanks, to both. Oh, and one more thing - I'd rather not waste their town early on... we'll see what comes out, though.

Limper

First Post
If you interpret Xps as comming from overcoming situations.... each time they pull the wool over the lvl 2 Aristocrat Mayor at some risk to self (aka Jail, caneing) they have overcome a CR 1 encounter I believe. Thats 300 xps for each such event.... depending on how much they get into in town they could have a few levels by age 19... not trying to change your mind..... just throwing out ideas. If that same mayor was lvl 6, the sherif was lvl 4 a few lvl 2-4 local merchants..... rescue sheep from wolves (not nessessrily through killing the wolves).... help your town beat off a rogue bear, and latter some humanoids.... defeat the quarter staff champion of the neighboring town at the fair (these are full of chances to overcome stuff).... this kinda stuff. These amount to very droll and mundane but could add up to something over a life..... even a short one.

As I said just spinnin options.

Jesse Decker

First Post
One of the games that I play in, Andy Collins' "Bloodlines" campaign, had a similar feel when it first started out. The characters were all young, from the same village, and very inexperienced. He used a couple of simple techniques to help preserve the small-town feel for awhile. We started below 1st level, we advanced relatively slowly (reduced xp awards), and the "adventures" started on a really small scale. Those things all helped, but the campaign really kept its feel because the adventurers dealt with problems that really would plague a small town from time to time, and dealing with those problems led the group into a wider world in a really natural progression.

Another important element involved keeping careful track of time passing -- we often went months (of game time) between adventures in the early days of the campaign. After one fairly successful adventure, we took the winter off, spending several months just "living in the big city" for a while.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
Another important element involved keeping careful track of time passing -- we often went months (of game time) between adventures in the early days of the campaign. After one fairly successful adventure, we took the winter off, spending several months just "living in the big city" for a while.
This also helps avoid the phenomenon of PCs going from 1st to 20th level in under a year, game time...

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
An alternative is to have each of them start out as 1st level NPC classed PCs. That rogue is actually just 1 1st level thug. The Fighter is a 1st level warrior and so on. Then force them to advance in the original NPC class until they find a 'real' teacher/mentor who will take them under wing after which point they can advance in the PC class.

I bet they will really then appreciate the benefits of the PC class more and actually feel like they made an important advancement.

Remove ads