D&D 5E List of 5E powered RPGs?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So as a follow up to this:

Do these books skip writing the 5e rules altogether, or do they reprint them (with the necessary modifications) for the sake of being thorough?

I'm very curious what the standard formatting for such a book would be.
It's a case of definitions. It depends on what they intend to be.

If they include the game rules, they're a game.

If they don't, they're a setting or a supplement.

I wanted to put together a little list, as it's a conversation which seems to happen to me a lot! Today's launch of The Spy Game on Kickstarter spurred me to do it.

Is there already such a list? I'm talking standalone games (not settings) which use 5E is their core. I tried searching for OGL core rulebooks on DTRPG, but it seems everybody who makes a setting, monster book, or adventure checks the "core rulebook" category there. Off the top of my head:

• Adventures in Middle Earth
  • Esper Genesis (sci-fi)
  • The Spy Game (espionage)
  • Stargate (coming later this year)
  • Monarchies of Mau (cats)
  • Godbound (greek?)
  • Pugmire (dogs)
I didn't know Monarchies of Mau existed and now I think I have to buy Monarchies of Mau. I'm not sure whether to thank you or shake a fist, @Morrus!

If you're including videogames Solasta uses an OGL implementation of 5E, but it's pretty close to the actual (just different subclasses, subraces, etc.), so I suspect you'd regard it more as a setting.
Odyssey of the Dragonlords
Dragonlords is absolutely rockin' but it's a 5E setting with a campaign and some races/subclasses, and intended to be used with the normal 5E rules. Though I guess you could play it with just the basic rules - it's certainly not standalone though.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I wanted to put together a little list, as it's a conversation which seems to happen to me a lot! Today's launch of The Spy Game on Kickstarter spurred me to do it.

Is there already such a list? I'm talking standalone games (not settings) which use 5E is their core. I tried searching for OGL core rulebooks on DTRPG, but it seems everybody who makes a setting, monster book, or adventure checks the "core rulebook" category there. Off the top of my head:

• Adventures in Middle Earth
  • Esper Genesis (sci-fi)
  • The Spy Game (espionage)
  • Stargate (coming later this year)
  • Monarchies of Mau (cats)
  • Godbound (greek?)
  • Pugmire (dogs)

Godbound is not 5e powered. It uses a version of the Sine Nomine house system which is based off a highly modified version of B/X. It's a game where you play demigods on their ascent to Godhood. It's a really awesome game.

damianfox

First Post
It's a case of definitions. It depends on what they intend to be.

If they include the game rules, they're a game.

If they don't, they're a setting or a supplement.
Yeah that makes sense. What I mean is, do the writers of a standalone print the 5E WOTC standard rules -in addition- to any modifications they made on it.

For example: it extremely likely your average tabletop player is going to know what dexterity is or how movement works. Do they write this in excruciating detail anyway, risking a few pages of redundancy/overlap with the main 5e rulebook?

Or do they skip such things because using 5e has the implication you should already be familiar with the core terms. The whole point in piggybacking on the existing ruleset being to streamline the players into familiar controls.

Like if I release a first person shooter on PC I dont need to spend a whole lot of time explaining how WASD makes you move, that will be covered very succinctly, if at all, because I can assume most of my players will know that.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Yeah that makes sense. What I mean is, do the writers of a standalone print the 5E WOTC standard rules -in addition- to any modifications they made on it.

For example: it extremely likely your average tabletop player is going to know what dexterity is or how movement works. Do they write this in excruciating detail anyway, risking a few pages of redundancy/overlap with the main 5e rulebook?

Or do they skip such things because using 5e has the implication you should already be familiar with the core terms. The whole point in piggybacking on the existing ruleset being to streamline the players into familiar controls.

Like if I release a first person shooter on PC I dont need to spend a whole lot of time explaining how WASD makes you move, that will be covered very succinctly, if at all, because I can assume most of my players will know that.
They reprint the everything you need to play. You don't even need a PHB/DMG/MM to play Fateforge or Into the Unknown (for example).

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Whereas with BEOWULF: Age of Heroes or Ruins of Symbaroum, the general assumption is that you have access to the basic rules anyways (from the free PDF on WotC's website, the free rules on D&D Beyond, or actually having the three core rulebooks because if you're playing 5e, you probably have the 5e rules). So that things that are different (e.g. origins, classes, backgrounds, feats, new magic spells for Symbaroum, Followers for BEOWULF) are included and if something isn't included, it works just like the regular 5e system. That way, lots of things are familiar and the players can concentrate on the new stuff that's appropriate for the setting/gameplay style.

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Aetaltis
Farland,
Grim Hollow
Kisarta
Fateforged
Theros
Arkadia
Eberron
Midgard & Southlands
Black Iron
Nightfell
Esper Genesis
Iron Kingdoms
Ravnica
Raveloft
Svilland
Symbaroum
Wildermount
Tales of Arcana: This is apparently gold at DTRPG.
Superhero: Capes & Crooks, Supers and Sorcery, S5E
Cyberpunk: Carbon 2185, Genfunk 2090, World of Cyberpunk 2077
Space: Esper Genesis, Dark Energy, Dark Matter, Hyperlanes, Spaceships & Starwyrms, Blades and Blasters

Kickstarters
Sparksun
Shintiara
Talisanta
Exalted Vales
Blackstorm Realms (may be Spelljammer ish)
Eldritch
Farsight
Crystalpunk
Crimson Chains (SCP Horror)
Eldritch Sands
Red Sky
Bloodsword
Lost Lights
Historica Arcanum

Last edited:

Remove ads