• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) List of O5E spells that have been changed in some way?

Stalker0

Legend
I've been house-ruling O5e Hypnotic Pattern as allowing a save w/disadvantage at the end of each target's turn. I think going forward, I will adjust the A5e version (I like the reduced cube size) either to do the same or maybe just allow a regular save at the end of the creature's turn (will do the same with Polymorph--I hate low/mid-level encounter ending spells). Hypnotic Pattern should be on par with upcast Hold Person but as an AOE, IMO.
So Hypnotic Pattern is weaker than hold person. Paralysis is a stronger condition than incapacitated, and hypnotic pattern immediately fails with the use of damage or actions.

That said, its the area that has generally been the problem. In "really large fights", HP often is a speed bump, you cast it, some people get held up, their buddies can get them out. Still quite nasty, but not that OP.

But where it really stings is that 5ish monster fight, one HP can often knock out most of the them, and once there is only 1-2 monsters the fight becomes somewhat trivial.

Now the LU change here is a big deal, a 20 feet cube is a good bit smaller than a 30 foot one, so the enemies have to be pretty tightly packed in to get that same big effect. It still looks quite powerful, but it may be worth trying it out before a houserule.

The other idea is to allow hypnotic pattern to only work on humanoids at first, upgrading it to all creatures at a higher level. This keeps it in a similar sphere to hold person.

jadxq

Explorer
So Hypnotic Pattern is weaker than hold person. Paralysis is a stronger condition than incapacitated, and hypnotic pattern immediately fails with the use of damage or actions.

That said, its the area that has generally been the problem. In "really large fights", HP often is a speed bump, you cast it, some people get held up, their buddies can get them out. Still quite nasty, but not that OP.

But where it really stings is that 5ish monster fight, one HP can often knock out most of the them, and once there is only 1-2 monsters the fight becomes somewhat trivial.

Now the LU change here is a big deal, a 20 feet cube is a good bit smaller than a 30 foot one, so the enemies have to be pretty tightly packed in to get that same big effect. It still looks quite powerful, but it may be worth trying it out before a houserule.

The other idea is to allow hypnotic pattern to only work on humanoids at first, upgrading it to all creatures at a higher level. This keeps it in a similar sphere to hold person.
I like the idea of restricting it to humanoids. With that and the AOE size reduction, it may be effectively all that is needed. Perhaps I will try it with the creature type tweak and see how it goes.

Hmm... this humanoid restriction might be what I do with Polymorph as well.

Remove ads