D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I made styling improvements on the XSLT which (if you clear cache or havent been to it you can now see -browsers seem very very tenacious of XSLT ) link is in the original post.

Now has links at the top allowing jumping to each practice and each practice in its own half page box

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Could you elaborate... i actually am also thinking of revising rituals because of things I have run into while addressing the obvious underdevelopment of Practices.

And interesting rituals too have been popping to mind like the wolf pack transportation and the forces of nature or zombie hoard summoning rituals.
I think you could have added a lot of the summoning, animating, conjuring, etc. which have long durations in D&D 3.5 and earlier editions (some emerged towards the end of 4th Edition, such as summoning gargoyles or creating scarecrows, but they should have done it earlier). Basically, any spell who has a duration of 10 minutes or longer usually fits quite well as a ritual. Even spells such as charm person and invisibility could with some modification have fitted as a ritual, but then as a means to get past guards or into castles (more roleplaying focus, vs. combat focus). If any battle happens (character loose focus/concentration, i.e. takes a standard action) the ritual immediately ends and the player have a surprise round.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think you could have added a lot of the summoning, animating, conjuring, etc. which have long durations in D&D 3.5 and earlier editions (some emerged towards the end of 4th Edition, such as summoning gargoyles or creating scarecrows, but they should have done it earlier). Basically, any spell who has a duration of 10 minutes or longer usually fits quite well as a ritual. Even spells such as charm person and invisibility could with some modification have fitted as a ritual, but then as a means to get past guards or into castles (more roleplaying focus, vs. combat focus). If any battle happens (character loose focus/concentration, i.e. takes a standard action) the ritual immediately ends and the player have a surprise round.
I am actually not that familiar with 3e, are you using Character Builder or interested in having your compendium be an expansion for it.
this is what the XML for a ritual or practice looks like.

<RulesElement name="Forge Weapon" type="Ritual" internal-id="ID_FMP_RITUAL_308" source="Martial Power III" revision-date="8/27/2017 12:37:50 PM" >
<Flavor> While a great deal of magic is invested in an item as it is forged, the users own magic and that of its enemies may truly make it complete. </Flavor>
<specific name="Category"> Creation </specific>
<specific name="Key Skill"> Athletics (no check) </specific>
<specific name="Component Cost"> Special </specific>
<specific name="Duration"> Permanent </specific>
<specific name="Level"> 4 </specific>
<specific name="Time"> 1 hour </specific>
<specific name="Market Price"> 50 gp </specific>
<specific name="Prerequisite" />
<specific name="type"> Martial Practice </specific>
You can create magic weaponry or armor or actually just about any tool of war. Your level determines the level the magic item can have . The component cost is equal to the price of the magic item which you forge although additional effect price beyond the original bonus quality generally require a bit more (and may be paid in the coin of charity). The war tools can be seeded in such a way as to leave them open to gaining additional more magical empowerment often featuring a quest involving the slaying of magical beast ... in some cases usage over time will gradually enhance these opened items (see weapon gifts).
</RulesElement>

Last edited:

Myrhdraak

Explorer
I am actually not that familiar with 3e, are you using Character Builder or interested in having your compendium be an expansion for it.
this is what the XML for a ritual or practice looks like.

<RulesElement name="Forge Weapon" type="Ritual" internal-id="ID_FMP_RITUAL_308" source="Martial Power III" revision-date="8/27/2017 12:37:50 PM" >
<Flavor> While a great deal of magic is invested in an item as it is forged, the users own magic and that of its enemies may truly make it complete. </Flavor>
<specific name="Category"> Creation </specific>
<specific name="Key Skill"> Athletics (no check) </specific>
<specific name="Component Cost"> Special </specific>
<specific name="Duration"> Permanent </specific>
<specific name="Level"> 4 </specific>
<specific name="Time"> 1 hour </specific>
<specific name="Market Price"> 50 gp </specific>
<specific name="Prerequisite" />
<specific name="type"> Martial Practice </specific>
You can create magic weaponry or armor or actually just about any tool of war. Your level determines the level the magic item can have . The component cost is equal to the price of the magic item which you forge although additional effect price beyond the original bonus quality generally require a bit more (and may be paid in the coin of charity). The war tools can be seeded in such a way as to leave them open to gaining additional more magical empowerment often featuring a quest involving the slaying of magical beast ... in some cases usage over time will gradually enhance these opened items (see weapon gifts).
</RulesElement>

I am actually not using the Character Builder, we used it in the beginning but I thought it was to restrictive in the formatting for my taste. I want to be able to customize the character sheet experience much more. Today I just copy and past the material from Word over to Power Point which we use to manage the characters. Below you will find a pdf version of the power point file - in this case an example druid character in our ongoing game. Just to show an example.
/Myrhdraak

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Environmental Trap
Key Skill Engineering (*Dungeoneering) or Athletics
Time 4 hours
You create a temporary exploitable environmental hazard which you can trigger on an enemy at a later time. These eventually tend to either collapse on their own or become unreliably sticky if left for beyond a certain duration without use.

Effects:
Damage
Hazardous Terrain
Obscuring

Marshal Power is a complex practice this one has many possible effects too.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I really liked the formatting. It was much easier to see all your work.
Its definitely not ALL my work some of the concepts are well beyond what I have in the Character Builder and may be too much for the format.

Like Martial Troops

or Reincarnative Dream

The character builder entries will perhaps be a summary.

Remove ads