List of TTRPG settings which originated in other media

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Maybe it's listed under something else, but there is a Terran Trade Authority RPG which was based on a series of art books from the '70s and early '80s with really fantastic paintings of starships (many of which were later re-used for covers of novels and magazines)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Trade_Authority

There was also a Role Aids module, Beneath Two Suns, based on the Drey Prescott sword & planet novels
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dray_Prescot_series

edit: And I'm not sure if this counts, but Charles Rice wrote an d20 adaption of the Two Worlds computer RPG that I believe was included on the disc. (Think it was Two Worlds, some CRPG)

Last edited:

Terra Primate explicitly states that it's based off of the Planet of the Apes series, but isn't licensed to use the trademarks.

Close, but I deem it to not make the list. Because there are lots of examples of settings which mimic an IP (Shadow Chasers for d20Mod = Buffy), or even explicitly mention an IP as source material (Appendix N in AD&D), but these don't make the list.

Updates to the OP:

Darksword Adventures. Based on the Margaret Weis novels.
DemonWars RPG - two iterations (d20 and the custom system from the 2013 kickstarter). Based on the R.A. Salvatore novels.
Dragon Brigade adventure. Based on the Margaret Weis novels.
Starshield RPG (vaporware). Based on the Hickman and Weis novels.

Started adding the settings which were featured in DRAGON magazine's "Giants in the Earth" article series, which gave 1E (later 2E) stats to characters from fiction. Presumably these were licensed by TSR for the magazine articles.

More updates:

Paolo Parente’s DUST Adventures. Based on the miniatures game.
Cubicle 7's two Cthulhu settings: Cthulhu Britannica and World War Cthulhu.
The three iterations of Lone World rpgs.
The Laundry RPG by Cubicle 7. Based on the Laundry Files novels.
Primeval RPG by Cubicle 7. Based on the television show.
Corvus Belli's INFINITY Roleplaying Game by Modiphius. Based on the miniatures game.

Remove ads