List of TTRPG settings which originated in other media

I added a third category at the bottom of the list: IPs which are confirmed to have been proposed as RPGs by a publisher, but which weren't actually produced...such as Fallout, Magic: the Gathering, and Middle-earth d20.

What else? What's missing?

aramis erak

Legend
I added a third category at the bottom of the list: IPs which are confirmed to have been proposed as RPGs by a publisher, but which weren't actually produced...such as Fallout, Magic: the Gathering, and Middle-earth d20.

What else? What's missing?

Last Unicorn's Dune d20. (Was announced by LUG.)
Dark Crystal RPG - announced by Luke Crane, to be released by Archaia, but then Archaia had issues. Mechanics supposed to be similar to Mouse Guard.
FASA's Masters of the Universe RPG - the released version was pure board game, and an addon to make it a full RPG was promised but never delivered.
RTG's translation of Gundam Senkai. License expired before translation completed.

Mongoose STRONGLY hinted at Traveller Star Wars - And then announced that while they didn't get it, a big company had. Few guessed correctly that it was FFG.

Oh, and two more treks:
Prime Directive d6 and Traveller Prime Directive are both, as yet, vaporware. AFAIK, d6 has been cancelled - last I read, SVC was under the sorely mistaken impression that the two games fanbases overlap heavily.

oh, yeah - almost forgot:
Webber's Honorverse and Ringo's Aldenata settings were both promised from QLI. Neither was completed. Both were intended to be variations on Traveller d20... (the playtest fora for both are still hidden in the works at COTI.)

Last edited:

Dark Crystal RPG etc

Thanks a bunch! I added those to the list.

Also added John Carr's War World RPG, SM Sterling's The Change RPG, and Fred Saberhagen's Swords RPG. These three are by Final Sword Productions, for the D6 system.

Don't you think my list is the most complete of its kind?

What else? What am I missing?

Last edited:

I added Santiago from EN Publishing:

Santiago Adventure Path (2013) by EN Publishing. Available in two versions: Pathfinder or D&D4E. Was slated for 11 adventures, but was cancelled after the fourth adventure, due to having 7 customers in total. Based on the novel Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (1986) by Mike Resnick.

Has EN Publishing done any other licensed IPs?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I added Santiago from EN Publishing:

Santiago Adventure Path (2013) by EN Publishing. Available in two versions: Pathfinder or D&D4E. Was slated for 11 adventures, but was cancelled after the fourth adventure, due to having 7 customers in total. Based on the novel Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (1986) by Mike Resnick.

Has EN Publishing done any other licensed IPs?

Nope.

I still have the RPG rights to Santiago, and it would be nice to make that investment back. Right now, there's a possibility it will appear as a WOIN setting.

Yoh-01

Explorer
I might have missed it in one of the posts here but Glorantha first appeared as a boardgame (White Bear Red Moon) before being a roleplaying game (RuneQuest).
Greg Stafford did create Chaosium to publish his boardgame, and afterwards he discovered D&D. Then he created RuneQuest to develop the world of Glorantha as a tabletop RPG.

aramis erak

Legend
I might have missed it in one of the posts here but Glorantha first appeared as a boardgame (White Bear Red Moon) before being a roleplaying game (RuneQuest).
Greg Stafford did create Chaosium to publish his boardgame, and afterwards he discovered D&D. Then he created RuneQuest to develop the world of Glorantha as a tabletop RPG.

Steve Perrin & Ray Turney created the RPG rules, not Greg, at least according to the 2E rulebook. Greg is listed in the "Playtesters and critics" list of 2E, so he definitely had input...

Yoh-01

Explorer
Steve Perrin & Ray Turney created the RPG rules, not Greg, at least according to the 2E rulebook. Greg is listed in the "Playtesters and critics" list of 2E, so he definitely had input...
You're right about that indeed.
Anyhow, RuneQuest got created after a boardgame, so it should belong to this list.

Remove ads