D&D 5E Little Worshipped Deities (Forgotten Realms)

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
Good morning to all (since it is where I am at when posting this),

I was looking at doing some different stuff, but through playing a class I know and love, the Cleric. I mainly play Adventurers League and, as such, play mainly in the Forgotten Realms. As such, I ask that the answers be cognitive of this fact. I am looking for deities that you have seen rarely played as either players or DM's. While having a Death Domain Deity as the answer is fine, I do not currently have the certificate that allows me to play one, so even if that is the main choice, I will not be able to try that out. Otherwise, which deities do you rarely see players choose to follow or pick as their dedicated deity in the Forgotten Realms? Thank you in advance for any information.

Irennan

Explorer
I've only experienced first hand a single campaign up to now, so I'll toss some ideas for deities that, according to what I've seen reading forums, come up quite rarely.

-A cleric of knowledge devoted to Savras. Could be some kind of seer or oracle.

-A cleric of trickery, devoted to Leira. Someone who tries to alter how others perceive reality, spreading mistruths and manipulating informations to achieve their goal. Could be quite hard to RP, though.

-A cleric of knowledge, devoted to the Red Knight. A strategist who uses their divine spells to devise the best path to victory.

-A prophet of doom devoted to Beshaba. Could be very fitting, given that the Realms get an apocalypse every other year...

-A complete pacifist devoted to Eldath. Only uses healing or protective spells on their allies, refusing to harm anyone. Could be tricky (or boring, depending on your taste) to RP.

-A dancer, or a musician devoted to Lliira (or Eilistraee, if you decide to go for elf/drow. But Eilistraee doesn't seem to be a rarely chosen goddess, to me), perhaps multiclassing as a bard or a paladin (oath of the ancients). A character who uses their art to spread joy and bring hope to people. Could be quite irritating, if done wrong.

-A cleric of trickery, devoted to Mask. Mask is a common choice, but a character inspired to Robin Hood might be a concept that is rarely used.

-A cleric of knowledge, devoted to Waukeen. A merchant who uses divination spells to ensure success in their activity.

-A bounty hunter devoted to Malar. They could be hunting for the pleasure of it, but be decent enough to not be a danger to innocent people (since AL doesn't allow for Evil character, AFAIK).

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The ones have never seen are too numerous. The ones I've seen a lot are easier to name. I've seen a lot clerics of Mystra, Azuth, Tempus, Tyr and Helm. Lots of Druids of Sylvanus and rangers of Mielikki.

The rarest would probably a half-orc cleric of Eldath for that community of peaceful orcs she fostered or some elven forgotten deity of Yuirwood found in 2e's Spellbound box.

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
While the idea of a pacifist Cleric of Eldath seems fun, I have tried it before and had some difficulty with it in AL play. However, a Half-Orc Druid of Eldath with Ondonti origins might work better. While not taking damaging spells would limit things, the buffs and battlefield control that they have might work out well. It might also work as a Neutral Good Wizard with buffs and battlefield control. Thank you for the ideas so far. Any others would be greatly welcomed.

gyor

Legend
Good morning to all (since it is where I am at when posting this),

I was looking at doing some different stuff, but through playing a class I know and love, the Cleric. I mainly play Adventurers League and, as such, play mainly in the Forgotten Realms. As such, I ask that the answers be cognitive of this fact. I am looking for deities that you have seen rarely played as either players or DM's. While having a Death Domain Deity as the answer is fine, I do not currently have the certificate that allows me to play one, so even if that is the main choice, I will not be able to try that out. Otherwise, which deities do you rarely see players choose to follow or pick as their dedicated deity in the Forgotten Realms? Thank you in advance for any information.

All clerics can choose the life domain, even ones that worship gods that don't have access to the life domain, so if you wish to play a cleric of a deity who only has the death domain, then you can do so by choosing the life domain.

The life domain is for gods with the life domain, but its also treated as the default cleric.

Phantarch

First Post
I really thought this was going to be a thread about Deities of short stature ...

Yeah, my initial thought was Yondalla. hehe

For a serious answer though...umm, how about Kossuth, god of fire? If I recall, he has some odd cults and some interesting dogma that could be fun to roleplay. You could also pick any number of the minor racial deities that don't get a lot of focus.

Remove ads