• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Live Dungeons & Dragons Q&A Friday, June 6 Question Thread

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I realize it may be just me.

But at one point Mike referred to the plural of "staff", and he used "staves" instead of "staffs".

I so want this to be the plural they use in the final books. In the playtest it went back and forth.

Thaumaturge.

Outing myself as an English nerd today.
I like "Staffs" myself. "Staves" are what barrels are made of.

More relevant English nerdery: longsword or long sword? That also oscillated in the playtest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Has D&D ever said "staffs"? Has anyone ever said "staffs"? If so, I managed to not notice.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like "Staffs" myself. "Staves" are what barrels are made of.

More relevant English nerdery: longsword or long sword? That also oscillated in the playtest.

Dunno why, but "long sword" resonates with me more. Longsword is like thunderbite goblins and fastclaw wolves and all that other compound noun tomfoolery.

Talath

Explorer
Personally I prefer rouge to rogue. At first it was a mistake, but now I think I like it. It has that sexy "oojh" sound.

Remathilis

Legend
Dunno why, but "long sword" resonates with me more. Longsword is like thunderbite goblins and fastclaw wolves and all that other compound noun tomfoolery.

Pshaw! We need Normal Swords

kotblist.jpg

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Has D&D ever said "staffs"? Has anyone ever said "staffs"? If so, I managed to not notice.

I never bothered to look or pay attention on 2e books, but I'm sure 4e and the srd spell it as "staffs", both are practically indistinguishable from each other when spoken out loud anyway.

Dausuul

Legend
Pshaw! We need Normal Swords
You can have 'em. I'm going to play a warlock with a Far Realms patron, pick up whatever feat lets me use martial weapons, and fight with an Abnormal Sword. It does 1d13 damage, uses negative Comeliness modifier for its attack stat, and has the Grognardic property: Every hit drains 1 edition from the target. (Pro tip: Do not use it on undead.)

Talath

Explorer
You can have 'em. I'm going to play a warlock with a Far Realms patron, pick up whatever feat lets me use martial weapons, and fight with an Abnormal Sword. It does 1d13 damage, uses negative Comeliness modifier for its attack stat, and has the Grognardic property: Every hit drains 1 edition from the target. (Pro tip: Do not use it on undead.)

This sword killed my father and burned my 1e books

Remove ads