• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Construct Template

Shade

Monster Junkie
We discussed the need for this in the Monsters of Rock thread while trying to create Iron Man. Here's a stab at it. I'll need some help determining the CR and LA adjustments. Let me know what you think.

Living Construct (template)

A living construct is a a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Living constructs combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures.

Living constructs gain the ability to speak if they could not do so already. Most speak Common, and those with high Intelligence scores gain bonus languages based equal to their Intelligence modifier.

Creating A Living Construct

"Living construct" is an acquired template that can be added to any construct (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A living construct uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type does not change, but it gains the living construct subtype. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saving throws. Recalculate feats and skills only if the base creature was mindless (see Skills and Feats, below).

Hit Dice: Drop any bonus hit points based on its size. The creature may gain bonus hit points for its newly acquired Constitution score (see Abilities).

Special Attacks: A living construct retains any special attacks of the base creature. It gains immunity to its own special attacks (for example, it can't poison itself with a poison breath attack). Adjust the save DCs for any abilities that are Constitution-based for the living constructs new Constitution modifier.

Special Qualities: A living construct loses all of the following special qualities of the base creature:

• Darkvision
  • Low-light vision
  • Immunity to mind-influencing effects.
  • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.
  • Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
  • Immunity to magic.

A living construct gains the following special quality.

Living Construct Traits: A living construct cannot heal damage naturally. Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action. Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs.

Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct. A living construct can be raised or resurrected. It does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions, and must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. It can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When its hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, and it cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to it, as with a living creature that is stable.

Abilities: A living construct gains a Constitution score based on its size (see the table below). Mindless constructs gain an Intelligence score of 3, and their Charisma scores are raised to 3.

Construct Size / Constitution Score
Fine / 6
Diminutive / 8
Tiny / 10
Small / 12
Medium / 14
Large / 16
Huge / 20
Gargantuan / 24
Colossal / 28

Saves: Adjust the creature's Fortitude saves based on its new Constitution modifier.

Skills and Feats: Mindless constructs gain skills and feats as appropriate for a construct of their Hit Dice. Most take ranks in Listen and Spot, and common feat choices include Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Overrun, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, and Weapon Focus.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature -1 (if the creature had an Intelligence score) or +0 (if base creature was mindless). Assess an additional -1 if the construct loses immunity to magic.
Alignment: Any.
Advancement: By character class.
Level Adjustment: As base creature. If the base creature was previously mindless, use the following modifiers:

-1 if size Small or smaller.
+1 for every 5 feet of reach over 5 feet.
+1 for every 5 points of natural armor.
+1 for having an ability that deals ability score damage (+2 if it affects Con).
+1 for blindsight.
+1 for a poison special attack (+2 if it affects Con).
+1 for spell resistance.
+1/2 (round up) per type of energy resistance less than 20. +1 per type of 20 or more.
+1 for damage reduction x/magic; +2 for any other kind of damage reduction.

Sample Living Construct
Living Iron Golem
Large Construct (Living Construct)
Hit Dice: 18d10+54 (153 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (–1 size, –1 Dex, +22 natural) touch 8, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+28
Attack: Slam +24 melee (2d10+11)
Full Attack: 2 slams +24 melee (2d10+11)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/adamantine, living construct traits
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 3
Skills: Listen +10, Spot +11
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +10

This metallic automaton is twice the height of a normal human and resembles an armored giant.

This sample living construct uses an iron golem as the base creature.

A living iron golem is 12 feet tall and weighs about 5,000 pounds.

A living iron golem speaks Common.

Combat

Living iron golems are mighty combatants. They strike with deadly accuracy and incredible force, using their great strength and Improved Bull Rush and Improved Overrun feats to mow adversaries down.

Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cube, cloud of poisonous gas lasting 1 round, free action once every 1d4+1 rounds; initial damage 1d4 Con, secondary damage 3d4 Con, Fortitude DC 22 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based. A living iron golem is immune to the effects of its own breath weapon.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think the net CR should be +0, or maybe even -1. A few gains, and a few significant losses. I don't know about changing the construct's LA, but it should allow mindless constructs to be played as characters, so I don't know how that'd work out...

It looks good, though. Simple, yet effective.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks for the feedback. The big issue I'm seeing is mindless vs. nonmindless constructs. A formerly mindless construct can potentially pick up a significant number of feats, while an construct that already had an Int score gains far less. So maybe -1 for Intelligent constructs, +0 for mindless constructs?

Also, golems tend to lose alot more than other constructs. Losing immunity to magic is a huge detriment. So maybe an additional -1 adjustment if the construct loses immunity to magic?

LA is a real pain, because every construct is potentially different. Varying natural armor and reach almost demands that it be dynamic. Perhaps I should just include the pertinent modifiers and let the DM add them up?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I agree with the mindless - nonmindless and immunity to magic issues. I don't know that level adjustment should be dealt with, but if you want to bring it up, your solution, by including the appropriate modifiers for a variety of possibilities, sounds like it would be best.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cool. I updated it, listing the LA modifiers that would most commonly apply to a construct. How does it look now?

Krishnath

First Post
You need to list damage reduction among the things that increase LA. Any type of damage reduction automatically gives a +1 LA, the adjustment is increased by an additional +1 if it's not easily bypassed (I.e. DR/Epic, unusual substances, and unusual magic). For example, your above Iron Golem would get an +1 LA increase due to it's DR, but a creature with DR 10/good and cold iron, such as a demon, would get a +2 LA. A lich on the other hand only get a +1 LA due to its DR, because it is not that hard to get a hold of a magical mace to bypass its DR 10/magic and bludgeonig.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Where'd you find that? I don't see damage reduction as an indicator for LA increase in Savage Species. Most of the monsters in the Monster Manual don't seem to take it into account. Just curious.

zalgar07

First Post
I was working on this too...

Yours is much better than mine (and more complete), but here's some additional things you could consider adding; based on what the Living Construct was made out of...

• Does not eat to eat, sleep or breathe but can benefit from consumable magic such as heroes’ feast and potions.
• Prepared spellcasters must have 8 hours of rest before spell preparation.

• Spell Vulnerability: Depending on the living construct’s material, it has specific weaknesses.

Clay: Move Earth drives back 5 feet/caster level (Reflex DC 16+ability mod. for half distance) and does 3d12 damage (Fortitude DC 16+ability mod. for half damage.); directly-cast Earthquake stops movement on the living construct’s next turn (Will DC 18+ability mod. to negate) and does 5d10 damage (Fortitude DC 18+ability mod. for half damage.)

Flesh: Fire/Cold damage slows for 3 rounds (Original Save DC).

Metal: Electricity damage slows for 3 rounds (Original Save DC); 2d6 damage from Rusting Grasp (Reflex DC 14+ability mod. for half) or a Rust Monster (Reflex DC 17 half); Heat Metal & Chill Metal damage as if wearing metal armor. Repel Metal as normal.

Stone: Stone to Flesh negates any natural damage reduction or magic resistance (Fort. DC 16+ability mod.); Transmute Rock to Mud slows for 2d6 rounds (Fort. DC 15+ability mod.). Repel Stone as normal.

Wood: Repel Wood as normal.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Those are excellent suggestions, but I'm trying to keep this more generic and inline with the current living constructs (warforged). The warforged don't suffer any ill effects from electrciity due to being made of metal, for example.

You could easily add what you've suggested, plus let them retain some of the positive spell effects (like limited healing from fire for iron golems, transmute rock to mud for stone golems, etc.) That would probably even out the CR adjustment.

Feel free to use anything from mine in yours.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Where'd you find that? I don't see damage reduction as an indicator for LA increase in Savage Species. Most of the monsters in the Monster Manual don't seem to take it into account. Just curious.
Page 17 under intermediate monsters.

Remove ads