Living Forgotten Realms: So what's the East Rift?

Mortellan

Explorer
Imagine if a massive earthquake shook the US Pacific coast and it fell into the sea. Well this was probably X10. That's kinda what happened to the Shaar region. Quite clever of them in that LFR choice. ;)

Green Knight

First Post
Yeah, but if that's it, then why's it called "the East Rift"? That hole's gonna be to the west of the Great Rift. If you're going to call it "the East Rift", then shouldn't it be east of another rift? Otherwise it should be called "the West Rift".

Besides, if the west coast shook off and fell into the sea, it wouldn't create a rift. Just a new coastline. Not the same as a great big hole in the ground forming.

Green Knight

First Post
Anyway, from the RPGA boards, it appears that the East Rift is just the Great Rift renamed, with the hole in the ground in the Shar being named the West Rift. So that settles that, I suppose.

Badkarmaboy

First Post
What's the East Rift? Well, I'm glad you asked!

FWIW, you guys are on it. It's what's left of the Great Rift after the Spellplague. From Countdown to the Realms:

In many places, the Spellplague wrought drastic changes to the very shape of the world. The vast Underdark system beneath the western Shaar suffered a calamitous collapse, leaving a miles-deep pit the size of a country where the Landrise once ran.

This event formed the East Rift. There's much more to it, I'm just not at liberty to discuss it (yet) but I really wish I could. I'm in charge of making sure cool bully adventures get written for the area in Living Forgotten Realms.

Once more becomes available to share, I'll certainly share it.

Bill Benham
LFR Pacific US (East Rift) Writing Director

Remove ads