Living Forgotten Realms ....... Virginia gets Aglarond? Yeesh.....

Sijan

First Post
I'm also pretty bummed about this and also live in NoVA. What's the point of playing in the Forgotten Realms if we're stuck in some far-off region that is only known because its wizard leader slept with Elminster?? The reaction of many, many gamers at D&D Experience was: "Where's Aglarond?"

Seems like with the exemplary performance of the Mid-Atlantic Region in running Geoff - which became the global default region - we deserve a little better than being stuck on the far side of the world from the most well-known locations in the Realms. And seeing another region get Waterdeep all to itself makes it sting even more.

Of course, we will see what the penalties are for playing out of region.

Also, FR region assignment aside, the geographic division of MD and DC from VA does stink. It shows a complete disregard for the strong gaming community of MD, DC and VA by splitting us up into two regions. Are the organizers really unaware of how closely linked gamers are in the DC metro area?

I heard at D&D Experience that The Simbul is no longer in power in Aglarond...?

Cyronax

Explorer
Sijan said:
I'm also pretty bummed about this and also live in NoVA. What's the point of playing in the Forgotten Realms if we're stuck in some far-off region that is only known because its wizard leader slept with Elminster?? The reaction of many, many gamers at D&D Experience was: "Where's Aglarond?"

Seems like with the exemplary performance of the Mid-Atlantic Region in running Geoff - which became the global default region - we deserve a little better than being stuck on the far side of the world from the most well-known locations in the Realms. And seeing another region get Waterdeep all to itself makes it sting even more.

Of course, we will see what the penalties are for playing out of region.

Also, FR region assignment aside, the geographic division of MD and DC from VA does stink. It shows a complete disregard for the strong gaming community of MD, DC and VA by splitting us up into two regions. Are the organizers really unaware of how closely linked gamers are in the DC metro area?

I heard at D&D Experience that The Simbul is no longer in power in Aglarond...?

I hate the Simbul and the Seven Sisters predominance throughout 2E-3E. I hope 4E will be better. Oh .... same to you Elminster and Drizzt.

Anyway ... bile aside, I think DelMarVa and DC should have been allocated together.

It seems like they just looked at a map of the ole' Confederacy and that was that.

Cyronax

Explorer
pedr said:
Canada is now one region as regions in LFR are larger than they were in LG.

I've not seen formal confirmation of the assignments, but the following list was posted on the Yahoo! Group for the South-East USA region.

Pacific US=East Rift
Western US=Moonshae Isles
Southwest US=Tymanther (returned Abeir place)
North Central US=Waterdeep
Northeast US=Cormyr
Southeast US=Aglarond

Canada=Akanul (returned Abeir place…genasi)
Latin America=Baldur's Gate
UK/Ireland/South Africa=Luruar (Silverymoon)
Northern Europe/Russia=Dalelands
Southern Europe/Turkey=Impilitur
Australia/New Zealand/Pacific=Dragon Coast

I'll repeat, I've only seen this in one place so far and it might not be confirmed/accurate!

The specific borders of the regions are detailed here, along with the bios of the campaign staff: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20071116a

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see a (real) world map showing the regions: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20070905a

If memory serves from the sheet passed around at the con, those are indeed accurate.

Aglarond isn't as bad as being in the dragonborn area (Tymanther). That would be cheese, IMO.

pedr

Explorer
On the other hand, with the new 'it doesn't matter which region you're in' rules, it could be seen as an advantage to be close to a regional border - you can get involved in either of the two regions by playing special/one-off events either side of the border.

ferratus

Adventurer
Ankul? Geeze, warm that nation up a bit so people are interested in it first. I mean, I'm still steamed that the figured they needed a genesai nation when they already had Calimport.

When I was living in Saskatchewan, we had the Duchy of Urnst at first. However, after a couple of years we were switched to the Sultanate of Zeif. I wasn't particularly interested in playing an Arabian Knights campaign, so I dropped out. What regions you get can really determine how interested you are in the campaign.

The Realms is fairly large. Why don't they just allow each region to have 2 FR regions, which are not near each other. So give one region say.... Scardale and Damara. Or Turmish and Evereska. Get at least 20% more people I'd say with more options of places to play.

pedr

Explorer
Except that with LFR you have the option to play anywhere in the Realms.

Where you live does not prevent you from playing any region's ordinary modules.

Sijan

First Post
pedr said:
On the other hand, with the new 'it doesn't matter which region you're in' rules

Sorry if these rules are already well known, but do you have any add'l information or a link?

Nymrohd

First Post
Hehe I really love this though I have to do some research on how switching regions works. I divide my year between Northern and Southern Europe and both the Dalelands and Impiltur are among my favorites. I'll miss Luruar though. Maybe I can extend my vacation in Scotland and play there as well:)

pedr

Explorer
Sijan said:
Sorry if these rules are already well known, but do you have any add'l information or a link?
From http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20070905a
Players create characters and assign them to a specific region. Characters can be played in any LFR adventure that supports their levels of play, anywhere. All non-special LFR adventures will be available for play no matter where you live in the world.
Considerably more information on the RPGA boards (http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=457) and the Living Forgotten Realms Yahoo! Group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/LivingFR/) as well as www.rpga.com and the Yahoo! Group for your region (though that might not have been set up yet. There should be links from the LFR group).

Remove ads