• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Liz Schuh on Dragon/Dungeon moving to the web

Glyfair

Explorer
Saw this interview on the ICV2 website from Liz Schuh, Wizards of the Coast Brand Director for Dungeons and Dragons Publishing :

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/10496.html

One thing stands out to me from the interviewer:

I'm sure there are probably five or 10 people out there who are Luddites who prefer the portability or the experience of reading a print rather than on the Web, what do you say to them?

5 or 10? I think the interviewer sadly underestimates those who prefer reading in print, and they all aren't "Luddites." Preferring to read things in print doesn't mean you are against electronic options. Certainly not a question coming from an unbiased interviewer.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The interviewer may be unaware of how hasturlinking and the Intraweb co-connects even the pseudo-Luddites to intreviews on other webbedsites.

Last edited:

GSHamster

Adventurer
You may want to make absolutely clear that the whole Luddite thing comes from the interviewer and NOT from the WoTC person.

After all, even Mark CMG didn't catch the difference. (at first ;) )

It may be a stupid question to have been asked, but you certainly cannot fault Ms. Schuh for that.

Once again the 'Why not produce the web-based content and the print magazines at the same time?' question is sidestepped with an irrelevant non-answer. It's beginning to look undeniably like it's WotC policy not to give a genuine response to this one.

Glyfair

Explorer
GSHamster said:
It may be a stupid question to have been asked, but you certainly cannot fault Ms. Schuh for that.

Actually, I think it's a fine question. It's just the wording and slant that isn't fine.

I'm not too fond of the answer, personally, but it's the same company response we've been getting. "If you prefer print, buy some of our other products then."

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
humble minion said:
Once again the 'Why not produce the web-based content and the print magazines at the same time?' question is sidestepped with an irrelevant non-answer. It's beginning to look undeniably like it's WotC policy not to give a genuine response to this one.
I think it more than likely comes down to cutting out your competition. WotC guarantees a larger profit that way.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
GSHamster said:
You may want to make absolutely clear that the whole Luddite thing comes from the interviewer and NOT from the WoTC person.

After all, even Mark CMG didn't catch the difference. (at first ;) )

Nothing a blush and a quick edit couldn't fix. ;) :eek:

Mercule

Adventurer
Mark CMG said:
We will see if advertising space on the DI is sold to outside companies.

Erg. Advertising space. Talk about something that'll get me to avoid DI.

Then again, I'm practically immune to everything but those infernal layer ads, anyway, and those just make me never freaking return to the site.

Twowolves

Explorer
Interview? Maybe they interviewed a press release, because that's how it read. Kinda like those old schticks where one person makes a recording of themselves saying "uh-huh..., yeah..., that's right..., very interesting....., uh-huh" and plays it so they can be somewhere else while pretending to pay attention to someone else.

Q: "Why did you decide to cancel both magazines as well has adding the new Digital Initiative?"
A: "We are very excited about the future!"

Q: "Umm, ok. So will the DI be updated monthly or more often?"
A: "We are still going to sell items in print!"

Q: "Riiiight. Will subscribers still have access to materials they spent their money on after their subscription runs out?"
A: "We will be releasing compilations in print on a regular basis!"

Remove ads