Lizard Folk

Fisk

First Post
It seems to me that some of you play a far more liberal society than the one I have pictured in those worlds.

I can not picture (except in rare occasion and those being isolated at that) when a lizard man, (consumer of human flesh)would ever fit in or be accepted. In a campaign from town to town this would a disaster of mistrust of the party by all who can in contact with it.

Example... hanging out in town.... little kid turns up missing.. you know what I am doing as the DM? Burning the Lizardman at the stake. Why because he is a Lizardman.

I think that if your view of fantasy culture is one of all creature types living in an openly gay or not gay society where no ill will is felt by any race is pushing the envelope of fantasy into absurdity.

Grendel

First Post
Since none of you appear to possess a DMG I will tell you that Lizard Folk are
+2 ECL

this infromation is listed on page 22 of the DMG

and for further reference NO creature.
Correct, not a single one. Has an ECL less than their HD. This is why Hill Giants are +12 ECL, not because of their high str or reach ability, which an ogre also possesses.

Also note that creatures with a single Hit Die or less use class levels only (they do not recieve any additional hit dice). That includes all the standard PC races, plus Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs, Hobgoblins, Aasimar, Tiefling, and others.

CR = Challenge Rating (how tough a single opponent is relative to a party)

EL = Encounter Level (how difficult a situation is, either due to multiple creatures, or unusual circumstances)

ECL = Equivelant Class Levels (how a PC of a specific race stacks up to the standard races, this is only used when describing Player Characters, not NPC's or monsters that are not player characters).

APL = ? (Average Party Level I am guessing, although it would not be used for anything except determining what level the new PCs come in).

Last edited:

pontus

First Post
Grendel said:
Since none of you appear to possess a DMG I will tell you that Lizard Folk are
+2 ECL

this infromation is listed on page 22 of the DM
Unless you're playing in the Forgotten Realms, as the FRCS errata states that lizardfolk do in fact have an ECL of +4

Grendel

First Post
Unless you're playing in the Forgotten Realms, as the FRCS errata states that lizardfolk do in fact have an ECL of +4

You are right. According to the errata. The same Errata that states that Ogres are +8 ECL, same as Trolls.

Xeovke

First Post
Fisk said:
How many people are playing creature/characters? I have always had a problem with them and feel that a creature PC would have major social issues in a campaign.
I once played a Grig (a tiny Sprite from the MM) Sorcerer, who was "wielding a mighty sword" (tiny greatsword). It was not a very "effective" character (spellcasting and ECL is not a very wise choice), but it gave a funny mood to the whole game. The campaign was in a elf city, so Grig had a particular reputation: everybody knew sprites to be good creatures but Grig being tricksters, what they say is never taken seriously into account.

I suppose if you choose your creature PC accordingly with the type of campaign, the social issues can be rather minor. Furthermore, creatures with (very) bad reputation (which may or may not have something to do with alignment) should have a some sort of magic item that changes your appearance with them, if they want to have normal social interactions.

Xeovke

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Grendel said:
You are right. According to the errata. The same Errata that states that Ogres are +8 ECL, same as Trolls.

No, it doesn't - it also changes the ECL for trolls (a Good Thing, IMO) to 11.

Xarlen

First Post
I think it just depends on how it's done.

Lizardman, obviously armed, glaring at the locals, and acting all savage is not going to be taken well.

However, a Lizardman who is unarmed, is peacebound (Tie his thumbs to his belt, if he has a belt), and keeps his eyes on the ground is going to be left alone.

Sure it's humiliating, but if it allows him into the town, I think if I had half a lizard's brain I'd hand over my weapons and look like a 'pet' to one of the adventurers.

And, Yes, I've played a monster character: My Kobold Wizard had quite a lot of fun. Of course, he wasn't looked at very seriously, but he either A) Didn't go into the cities, B) Cast 'Change Self', or C) Was thought to be a servant and being taught to 'act civilized' and thus return with this knowledge to his nest.

Remove ads