• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Location of White Plume Mountain

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In the original module, White Plume Mountain was set in the World of Greyhawk™ in the Northeastern part of the Shield Lands, near the Bandit Kingdoms and the Great Rift.

Where would you put it in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

grodog

Hero
In the original module, White Plume Mountain was set in the World of Greyhawk™ in the Northeastern part of the Shield Lands, near the Bandit Kingdoms and the Great Rift.

Where would you put it in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron?

I guess that depends at least in part on how much credence you want to lend Erol Otus' map/illustration of the environs around WPM: i.e., do you want WPM to be a volcano near a big swamp (in addition to sitting in mountainous (?) badlands in/around the Rift Canyon, or an equivalent to that):

white%2Bplume%2Bmountain.gif

I know that the 2e Return to WPM supplemental adventure "Dragotha's Lair" (part of the Adventurer's Guild series) did in fact expand on and detail the various locations/NPCs listed in EO's map.

I can't speak for Eberron at all, but in the FR I can definitely see placing WPM near any of these locations:

- the edges of Anauroch, or in some of the mountainous areas within it
- in/near the Endless Wastes
- Smoking Mountain/Black Ash Plain*
- near Mulhorand (or the Plains of Purple Dust)
- Thay
- Peaks of Flame in Chult*

* There really don't seem to be too many volcanoes in the FR, as far as I can tell from a cursory scan of the 3e FRCS map....

TarionzCousin

I am leaning toward putting it in the Eastern stretch of the Greenfields, actually--as a lone mountain not too far from the Troll Mountains. It's an isolated stretch of land, not very developed, and relatively close to civilization (Iriaebor, Easting, Berdusk).

I can squeeze in a swamp if I extend the river that runs through the Snakewood futher North.

Westheart.jpg

TarionzCousin

I am leaning toward putting it in the Eastern stretch of the Greenfields, actually--as a lone mountain not too far from the Troll Mountains. It's an isolated stretch of land, not very developed, and relatively close to civilization (Iriaebor, Easting, Berdusk).

I can squeeze in a swamp if I extend the river that runs through the Snakewood futher North.
My modified 3E FR map with White Plume Mountain and other notable places added:

attachment.php

A

amerigoV

For Eberron, I propose something unconventional - set it in Sharn in a cursed Tower that constantly bellows white smoke up from the Cogs. Then you can adjust the descriptions a bit to make them more like someone converted a factory into a dungeon.

Now you can show off something very Eberron-y with a classic module.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
For the Realms, what do you think about the Arnrock in the Lake of Steam?

Alternately, it could be hidden in the Smoking Mountains near the Black Ash Plain and Unther

Remove ads