Loki! (spoiler thread)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Something confuses me.

The TVA maintains a single timeline, and prevents a multiverse. Under its control, there are no other timelines, just one sacred timeline.

Where do all these dozens of alternate Loki come from, if there is no multiverse?

I’m assuming that the result of this series is that at the end there will be a multiverse, which leads into the next Doctor Strange movie. And that will probably be Loki’s doing.

But right now there’s just the one sacred timeline right? So where do all those other Loki’s come from?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Something confuses me.

The TVA maintains a single timeline, and prevents a multiverse. Under its control, there are no other timelines, just one sacred timeline.

Where do all these dozens of alternate Loki come from, if there is no multiverse?

I’m assuming that the result of this series is that at the end there will be a multiverse, which leads into the next Doctor Strange movie. And that will probably be Loki’s doing.

But right now there’s just the one sacred timeline right? So where do all those other Loki’s come from?
Looking at the images in the show and from what we have seen regarding timelines, I think the sacred timeline is like a great river and like most great rivers, it has tributaries which are minor alternate timelines that don't mess up the sacred timeline or diverge into another major alternate. The other Loki's would be from those.

MarkB

Legend
Something confuses me.

Yeah, that's weird to me too. These variants aren't just versions of the main-timeline Loki who went a different path at some point - some of them were clearly different right from birth, and some would seem to have had entirely different origins. Can they truly be considered variants of this Loki? Do they share anything with him beyond a name?

Something confuses me.

Maybe since the TVA exists outside of the standard time flow, the other Lokis are all from the alternate timelines that were just created at the end of episode 2? But because time travel is weird, the TVA did not realize those Lokis had been spawned by an event they did not know had not happened yet? While the past and present are set by the Sacred Timeline, the future is still a big tangle of possibilities that they are still trying to straighten out and make into the Sacred Timeline.

JEB

Legend
Presumably if a branch timeline is created and passes the "red line", it's harder to erase and lasts longer. If it happened far enough back and lasted long enough, I could see it generating some of the very different variant Lokis we saw. They're just not necessarily the cause of the divergence, but a result of it, perhaps spawning additional branch timelines of their own.

I assume we'll learn more whenever they explain the Variant's origins...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Something confuses me.

Pretty much the question I've been asking.....

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Something confuses me.

The TVA is in the process of moving to a single sacred timeline. We already know they aren't finished with it. These are likely Lokis from various timelines they are pruning. It is just that Loki is the most successful being at evading their attempts to prune a timeline and therefore become a Variant.

MarkB

Legend
The TVA is in the process of moving to a single sacred timeline. We already know they aren't finished with it. These are likely Lokis from various timelines they are pruning. It is just that Loki is the most successful being at evading their attempts to prune a timeline and therefore become a Variant.
That's not quite how it was presented. The sacred timeline is indicated to be a fait accompli at this point, it's just that they don't yet know how it will end, because supposedly the Timekeepers are still working on that.

None of the TVA activities we've been shown are about pruning away already-existing independent timelines. They're all about nipping newly-branching timelines in the bud.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Hmm. This isn’t indicated anywhere. But the alternate Loki’s could explain if the sacred timeline was more of a sacred braid of nearly equivalent timelines. Branches having inconsequential changes that eventually merge back.
TomB

Remove ads