Loki! (spoiler thread)

Mostly it's illusion powers. He can change his appearance, anything from a new outfit to a perfect mimicry of another person - good enough that he spent months or years ruling Asgard as Odin. And the changes of appearance seem to be more than merely visual - they have physical form.

He can also become completely invisible, and project a false image of himself elsewhere. Quite some distance elsewhere, it seems - he was able to appear to be in the gladiators' quarters during Thor Ragnarok while he was still partying outside. That also implicitly includes the ability to perceive areas at a distance.

When he was incarcerated in the second Thor movie, he was able to alter the appearance of his entire cell, projecting an appearance of himself calm and collected, to disguise the ruin and despair he'd wrought after learning of his mother's death.

He probably has a few more miscellaneous tricks of magic that he learned from his mother.
He is actually pretty close to a D&D wizard(illusionist) in terms of powers (with some transmutation spells preped as well).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I suspect the Kablooie gum is also hinting at future explosions of some kind.
Yeah the bubblegum confused me

Ka-Bluey is an actual candy with gum centers sold here that Makes your tongue blue, is it sold in the US too? - was it an explosive onamatopoeia or was the scene just product placement?

MarkB

Legend
Yeah the bubblegum confused me

Ka-Bluey is an actual candy with gum centers sold here that Makes your tongue blue, is it sold in the US too? - was it an explosive onamatopoeia or was the scene just product placement?
It seems a little much to include it in the end credits sequence if it's just a throwaway reference. Time will tell.

Staffan

Legend
Very rough theory here: what we're seeing is Loki's second time around in the TVA.

We see that Loki is clearly resourceful enough that he can evade the hunters within the TVA. They have a lot of muscle, but they're not omnipotent. So what I think happens is this:

1. The Loki variant, which we'll call Loki-A, is taken to the TVA. He is brought before the judge, and sentenced to be pruned.
2. At this point, he somehow manages to escape, and learns some stuff about the TVA similar to what we see on the show.
3. Loki-A decides to either destroy or conquer the TVA, and starts his campaign of ambushing their outside teams.
4. Mobius figures out that the threat is Loki-A, and decides to interfere. The name Mobius is almost certainly a hint, as a Mobius strip is kind of a loop that only has one side and one edge.
5. Mobius interference in the court room spins off a second variant, Loki-B (who is the one we'll be following on the show).
6. Mobius seeks to both understand what makes Loki-B tick (and possibly tock), and to recruit him into fighting Loki-A (possibly by tempting him with being inside this supremely powerful organization instead of outside).
7. As for how that works out, I guess that what we'll see on the show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, what is the point of ANY of the rest of the marvel universe is the TVA is just going to make sure what should happens happens?

That, of course, is the entire point. The TVA has to go.

My money is that...the "other Loki" is not a different variant Loki. It is the same Loki from further down his own timestream. I suspect Mobius is also that same Loki. It is a very tricksterish thing to do, and also explains why Mobius takes all that effort talking to Loki about hos he's causing pain, not being a trickster. . I can even see a reason for picking up all the resets...

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Mainly offscreen though. I'd like to see him using this superior intellect onscreen.
A big problem is that it's really hard to show superior intellect on-screen without either having super-smart writers, or by having everyone else be really dumb. This particularly applies to social intelligence, which is supposed to be Loki's forte - it's easier to show Tony being smart by building a Cool Thing than to show Loki being smart by taking over Asgard, particularly on an action movie scale.

I suspect the Kablooie gum is also hinting at future explosions of some kind.

According to some spoiler articles, the gum is a hint at the villain Nightmare. I think one article claimed his symbol/logo is on the gum pack. Same as the joking where Loki says this place is a nightmare, and Mobius says that is another department.

Remove ads