Long campaigns, Besides D&D and Pathfinder

What systems put out long campaigns besides D&D and Pathfinder? War Hammer has the undying Death on the Riek/Power Behind The Throne, which is sort of long.

What other systems produce a product or series of products which potentially take you from beginner all the way to 'I'm too old for this sh*t'?

GuyBoy

Hero
Good question.
One answer I can give is the one you already know: I’m currently a player in the Enemy Within campaign, using WFRP4, which is great. The other would be A5e, which is the system for the Scorpion Age campaign, run by @Steampunkette , which is also fantastic.
Many of the other games I have played have been great fun but not really lending themselves to long (6 months +) campaigns. Namely Gamma World, Runequest, Bifrost, Traveller and Chivalry & Sorcery.

MGibster

Legend
What other systems produce a product or series of products which potentially take you from beginner all the way to 'I'm too old for this sh*t'?
There are a few for Call of Cthulhu

Mask of Nyarlathotep takes the PCs on a globetrotting campaign dealing with the threat of, uh, Nyarlathotep.
Horror on the Orient Express takes the PCs on...well...the Orient Express.
The Shadow of Yog-Sothtoth involves taking down the cult of, uh, Yog-Sothoth (they aren't imaginative with these names, are they?).
The Two Headed Serpent (Pulp Ctulhu technically) sees the PCs as membesr of Caduceus, a globetrotting organization of dogooders.

Pendragon has The Great Pendragon Campaign where players startout in the era of Uther Pendragon and end with the death of Arthur.

Deadlands has several:

1. The Last Sons has the PCs involved in the ongoing war between Native Americans and the USA/CSA. The PCs do battle with one of the Four Horseman, War in this case.
  2. Stone and a Hard Place has the PCs going after another Horseman, death this time.
  3. The Flood is another campaign that involves the PCs destroying a Horseman, Famine this time.
  4. Good Intentions where the PCs take on yet another Horseman, Pestilence
  5. The Horror at Headstone Hill doesn't have any of the Horsemen, but it does involve the PCs investigating the disappearance of a Pinkerton Agent in Wyoming.

Down to the players. Just about any RPG can go the distance if every puts in effort and keeps the energy alive
Not really. There is at least 1 RPG I know whose system "forces" the conclusion of a character. Redemption in this case.

I suspect it's not the only RPG out there whose system works against the long campaign style.

harunmushod

Explorer
Many of the other games I have played have been great fun but not really lending themselves to long (6 months +) campaigns. Namely Gamma World, Runequest, Bifrost, Traveller and Chivalry & Sorcery.
Traveller has Pirates of Drinax and is about to release the 2nd and 3rd parts of The Ancients campaign (a prequel and sequel to Secrets of the Ancients).

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Good question.
One answer I can give is the one you already know: I’m currently a player in the Enemy Within campaign, using WFRP4, which is great. The other would be A5e, which is the system for the Scorpion Age campaign, run by @Steampunkette , which is also fantastic.
Speaking of: You've got that camp of barbaric bandits drifting towards becoming aberrations due to their worship of a dark and fallen god to deal with, tonight.

You gonna be good to go for a late night sesh? I know the vineyards have gotta be a mess of work these days.

Remove ads