D&D 5E Long Rests vs Short Rests

Would you rather have all abilities recover on a:

• Short Rest

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Long Rest

Votes: 47 67.1%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That's why it's a gamble! You might make the wrong choice some time and it will matter!
Sure, and in small doses that’s fine. But when all of your resources are daily, it gets far more difficult (and less fun) to try and manage them all.
Again, that just sounds like playing D&D to me!
It’s been a common part of the D&D experience for a long time, and generally not a part of it I’ve enjoyed.

Charlaquin

No, as long as people feel like that unused slot or slots kept them from burning a nonrecovering resource like potions scrolls or old style wand charges.
How could not using a recoverable resource save you from burning a nonrecoverable one?
edit: some people enjoy threading that needle of restraint vrs running dry when they need it most too
Of course some people do. Lots of people do. I don’t, and I was sharing my opinion, as I was asked to do.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
How could not using a recoverable resource save you from burning a nonrecoverable one?

Of course some people do. Lots of people do. I don’t, and I was sharing my opinion, as I was asked to do.
Peace of mind. Spells used to pack a lot of punch & as a result had significant ability to reverse a cascade of bad if things went bad all of a sudden. Knowing that the caster still has an ace in their pocket to do that if things get bad can make the scroll/wand charge/potion something a player can confidently hold off on. That holding off could have taken place on the last fight or any other fight too because it was still providing reassurance even if there wasn't reason to think abour pulling the cord on that nonrecovering charge/item

Charlaquin

Peace of mind. Spells used to pack a lot of punch & as a result had significant ability to reverse a cascade of bad if things went bad all of a sudden. Knowing that the caster still has an ace in their pocket to do that if things get bad can make the scroll/wand charge/potion something a player can confidently hold off on.
Right, but if the need to use the spell never arose, neither did the need to use the scroll/wand charge/potion/etc. Using a spell could certainly save you the use of a non-reusable resource, but not using a spell doesn’t.
That holding off could have taken place on the last fight or any other fight too because it was still providing reassurance even if there wasn't reason to think abour pulling the cord on that nonrecovering charge/item
But had you used that spell earlier to end a fight, you could have saved more of your other resources (such as HP) and the last fight might not have needed to be the last one.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Right, but if the need to use the spell never arose, neither did the need to use the scroll/wand charge/potion/etc. Using a spell could certainly save you the use of a non-reusable resource, but not using a spell doesn’t.

But had you used that spell earlier to end a fight, you could have saved more of your other resources (such as HP) and the last fight might not have needed to be the last one.
Your assuming the same spell. Take some kind of meningful control, save or suck, save and suck or whatever spell. Th fact that the caster can use it to reverse things if needed means that the point where some other spell potion scroll or wand charge is needed has a wider safety margin.

Charlaquin

Your assuming the same spell.
No, I’m not.
Take some kind of meningful control, save or suck, save and suck or whatever spell. Th fact that the caster can use it to reverse things if needed means that the point where some other spell potion scroll or wand charge is needed has a wider safety margin.
Right, but only if you use the spell to obviate the need for the other expendable resource. You use the save or suck spell to end a fight quickly so you don’t need to use the healing potion. You use the charm or illusion spell to avoid a fight do you don’t need to use the fireball scroll. Whatever. Point is, using one resource can eliminate the need to use another, but not using it won’t. Maybe having the resource in reserve makes you feel more comfortable taking risks, that’s a meaningful benefit. But if you never actually use the resource, that piece of mind was an illusion. You never meaningfully took advantage of that resource.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No, I’m not.

Right, but only if you use the spell to obviate the need for the other expendable resource. You use the save or suck spell to end a fight quickly so you don’t need to use the healing potion. You use the charm or illusion spell to avoid a fight do you don’t need to use the fireball scroll. Whatever. Point is, using one resource can eliminate the need to use another, but not using it won’t. Maybe having the resource in reserve makes you feel more comfortable taking risks, that’s a meaningful benefit. But if you never actually use the resource, that piece of mind was an illusion. You never meaningfully took advantage of that resource.
not at all. "I can cast x if we need to pull back & regroup", "I can block off the hall with Y if the guards come running while we are dealing with these here", "I've got these guys with x for now but can cast z to make them harmless if they break out while your dealing with the little guys", etc. 5e's double burden of unimpressive spells overused concentration & excessive saves cuts off a lot of this type of play but it was there in past editions when we didn't have uinverted LFQW made into QFLW.

Charlaquin

not at all. "I can cast x if we need to pull back & regroup", "I can block off the hall with Y if the guards come running while we are dealing with these here", "I've got these guys with x for now but can cast z to make them harmless if they break out while your dealing with the little guys",
Yes, but if none of that happens and you go to bed with unused spells, they go to waste.

Charlaquin

it is extremely rare that players use all class abilities all spell slots and all hp before resting,likely something bordering on never.
Well, yeah, because the vast majority of PC resources are daily, which as I said, makes it very difficult to predict when you’ll need to use them. But it’s quite easy as a warlock to consistently use all of your spell slots, mystic arcana, and limited-use invocations each adventuring day. Because they have a nice mix of at-will, short rest, and long rest abilities. That’s my point.

Remove ads