D&D 5E Long-Term Downtime Activities?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I've been coming up with a campaign idea in which years will pass between adventures. I'm a big fan of Downtime Activities, so I thought it would be fun to generate Downtime Activities that are measured in years instead of weeks.

The big idea is that characters are doing things during this time that is not adventuring, but does give opportunities for world-building and character growth.

(Note: I know this could all be hand-waved through roleplaying and player declarations... but as I said, I really like Downtime Activities! So bear with me here.)

Here are some ideas for Long-Term Downtime Activities I've come up with so far. I'll be writing out the actual rules for each one in later posts. I'd love help coming up with more!
  • Service in an Organization (like a church, order of knights, or school of magic)
  • Treasure Hunting
  • Ruling
  • Fighting in a War
  • Practicing a Profession
  • Artistry
What other activities would be good for years-long Downtime?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
What other activities would be good for years-long Downtime?
Hmmm...

Starting/raising a family leaps to mind.

Also, IMO the magic items crafting rules are much to fast time-wise for the more powerful items, so for anything rare and definitely very rare, I could see that take more years instead of weeks.

That's all I have for now, but if I think of others I'll add them.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Here's what I came up with for Service in an Organization.

Service in an Organization

Your character spends a year or more at service in an organization: a church, thieves' guild, order of knights, school of magic, etc. Your character may rise in the ranks, access magic resources, or gain the favor of a powerful ally.

Creating Your Organization: You are a member of an organization. This organization has a size and ideal, both of which you can choose or roll for on the following tables. The size of your organization effects its reach and the number of ranks; it is easier to earn a position of power in a smaller organization, but the geographic reach of its influence will be smaller as well.

The size of your organization also affects the number of ranks, or positions of power. For example, a tiny guard outpost would have three ranks (perhaps Infantry, Captain, and Commander). On the other hand, a gargantuan network of monasteries that stretches across the planes would have 18 ranks (novice, monk, master of novices, cantor, steward, prior, abbot, etc.).

You start at the lowest rank in your organization, unless a higher rank makes sense based on your background or the events of the campaign. As you rise in ranking, those loyal to your organization recognize your authority and influence, and defer to you if they are of a lower rank.

Size (1d6)
  1. Tiny. Reach: one settlement. Ranks: 3.
  2. Small. Reach: one region. Ranks: 6.
  3. Medium. Reach: three adjacent regions. Ranks: 9.
  4. Large. Reach: five adjacent regions. Ranks: 12.
  5. Huge. Reach: continental. Ranks: 15.
  6. Gargantuan. Reach: worldwide (or extraplanar). Ranks: 18.
Ideal (1d8)
  1. Wealth. The members of our organization seek gold, treasure, or a dragon's hoard.
  2. Power. The desire for political, arcane, or martial power drives the members of our organization.
  3. Worship. Our organization works to further the interests of a powerful deity, fiend, or other extraplanar presence.
  4. Loyalty. An oath is sworn by every member of our organization to a single ruler, cause, or people.
  5. Glory. The members of our organization wish to achieve the impossible, and to be known across the realm.
  6. Knowledge. Forbidden knowledge, explorations of new places, or inventive innovations drive the work of our organization.
  7. Destiny. Our organization is founded upon a prophesy; we seek to fulfill, prevent, or witness its fated events.
  8. Vendetta. The members of our organization work to eliminate a single threat, enemy, or organization.
Resources: Being at service to an organization requires your character to have access to a location belonging to that organization, such as a temple, guild hall, or academy. You must also be a member of that organization, either through your background or events in the campaign.

Your character's service either includes free boarding, or pays enough to afford modest lifestyle expenses. By paying into the organization, you gain a bonus on ability checks made to gain benefits.

For every 100 gold pieces you give to the organization during the year of downtime, you gain a +1 to the ability check made to determine benefits. You may not gain more than +10 to this check.

Resolution: At the end of each year, make a Charisma (Persuasion) check, or an ability check using a skill or tool appropriate to your organization, such as the ones in the following table.

Organization - Ability Check
Temple - Intelligence (Religion)
School of Magic - Intelligence (Arcana)
Guild Hall - Intelligence (Artisan's Tools or Thieves' Tools)
Druid's Circle - Intelligence (Nature)

The total of the check determines the number of benefits you gain after the year of service.

Check Total - Result
1 - 10: You earn one benefit.
11 - 20: You earn one benefit, and rise in rank.
21+: You earn two benefits, and rise in rank.

Benefits (1d8)
  1. You gain the favor of a powerful NPC in your organization.
  2. You make contact with an ally in another location: when you arrive at a new settlement, you may choose for this ally to be present.
  3. You earn 1d10 x 100 gold pieces.
  4. You earn a special title within the organization. When brandishing this title, you may gain advantage on appropriate ability checks, or access to new locations, within the organization.
  5. You are given an uncommon magic item as recognition of your service.
  6. You gain an assistant, a skilled NPC who can help with your work (though does not willingly enter combat).
  7. You are given ownership of new property.
  8. Your organization grows in size.
Complications: At the end of a year of service, there is a 10% chance a complication occurred. These complications may open opportunities for further roleplaying and adventures.

Complications (1d6)
  1. A faction of your organization splits into a rival group with its own ideal. This group may be neutral to your cause, or may be hostile.
  2. A member of your organization becomes your rival.
  3. Your organization discovers the location of an important treasure, magic item, or ruin, but it is guarded by a powerful enemy.
  4. You lose the leader of your organization due to death, arrest, or a dramatic loss of faith.
  5. Through a shift in leadership, population, or outside influences, the ideal of your organization changes.
  6. An unhappy ruler, jealous rival, or mischievous bard spreads false rumors about your organization, earning it a false reputation (for example: piracy, zealotry, or rebellion).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Starting a business or enterprise.

I’ve noticed that most of the time that this ends up being a brewery of some sort. But it could also be a larger import/export entity, shipping, some kind of guild.
Caution here: in the past I've had characters - an entire party of them - do just this; and DMing what quickly became their massive business enterprise wasn't all that much fun. If you're into business and economics as a DM then more power to ya, but I'm not, and it became a chore.

Treasure hunting and fighting in a war are generally no for me. Dangerous activities should be in character.

Anyway, one could spend time researching history, or legends of a missing treasure or artifact. Which could lead to a future adventure.

War is a tough one. imo should be something everyone is involved in. You can have long downtimes during training, between military campaigns and even between battles. But, then when the fights happen, isn't that key to the roleplaying? Lot of other issues here to, but not going to try to unpack them.

other ideas; research new spells, or class features (new ways of fighting etc)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Caution here: in the past I've had characters - an entire party of them - do just this; and DMing what quickly became their massive business enterprise wasn't all that much fun. If you're into business and economics as a DM then more power to ya, but I'm not, and it became a chore.
That's why I think the Downtime Activities structure works well for this... You roll once at the end of the year and see the results, and can describe what happened in reflection without spending too much spotlight time on one character.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases