D&D 5E Long-Term Downtime Activities?

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
Caution here: in the past I've had characters - an entire party of them - do just this; and DMing what quickly became their massive business enterprise wasn't all that much fun. If you're into business and economics as a DM then more power to ya, but I'm not, and it became a chore.
I’m with you and have no interest. I let them work on it as part of their adventure-planning and what not. We found a balance. I was just trying to add to the OP’s idea with some additional considerations.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's why I think the Downtime Activities structure works well for this... You roll once at the end of the year and see the results, and can describe what happened in reflection without spending too much spotlight time on one character.
Which would be fine if they didn't want to go into more detail, but they did; and as it was a party thing rather than just one or two characters I kinda didn't have a choice in that regard.

Alby87

Adventurer
For managing a business, I think that the Acquisitions Incorporated is quiete a nice book: you can easily remove the whole "franchise" theme if you don't like it from the rules, but for managing a business via downtime it seems pretty good (I've read the rules but not used in my campaings right now, so I can not speak by first hand experience).

I have always liked the idea of downtime activities happening through email or text, then crafting, as a DM, a short synopsis for the PCs. The synopsis contains new information not revealed in text, which is kind of like the memory piecing things together with hindsight. It might also include a few surprises, which the players seem to like - the philanderer getting someone pregnant, the blacksmith being asked to make the horseshoes for the queen's horse, a brewer making it into a now popular tavern song, etc. Not too many, but enough to keep them listening.

Also, from a story perspective, I particularly downtime activities for the passing of time: wounds healing fully, learning new spells, tactical training, etc.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I had fun creating this one. I definitely don't think it would be appropriate for every table, but I'd have a hoot running a player through it at mine!

Finding Treasure
Your character spends a year or more searching through ruins, distant lands, or the archives of academies for hidden treasure. You spent part of the year researching where the treasure is located, and part of the year traveling and exploring to find the treasure, all while trying to avoid danger.

Resources: Searching for treasure takes time and money. You must hire guides, purchase maps, and maintain a steady supply of rations, torches, and sturdy ropes. Each year of finding treasure costs 100 gold pieces.

Resolution: When you first start to find treasure, choose a treasure rarity. This will determine the DC of all ability checks made. At the end of each year, make three ability checks: one to locate treasure, one to travel to the treasure, and one to avoid danger. Then, check the Finding Treasure Results table to determine your boons and banes. With your DM's permission, you may use another skill or tool for any of these checks, if it makes sense in your campaign world.

Treasure RarityDCTreasure Worth
Uncommon1210 x Character Level
Rare1550 x Character Level
Very Rare20100 x Character Level
Legendary25200 x Character Level

Locate Treasure Checks
Intelligence (Cartographer's Tools)
Intelligence (History)
Intelligence (Investigation)

Travel Checks
Dexterity (Vehicles)
Intelligence (Navigator's Tools)
Wisdom (Survival)

Avoid Danger Checks
Charisma (Persuasion)
Dexterity (Acrobatics)
Dexterity (Acrobatics)

Number of Successes - Results
0 - No treasure found. Roll one boon, one bane.
1 - You find coins, gems, and art pieces equal to half the Treasure Worth. Roll one boon, one bane.
2 - You find coins, gems, and art pieces equal to the Treasure Worth. Roll two boons, one bane.
3 - You find coins, gems, and art pieces equal to double the Treasure Worth. Roll two boons.

Boons (1d10)
  1. You find an Uncommon Magic Item.
  2. You find a unique piece of art worth 1d10 x 10 gold pieces. However, to the right collector, it is worth much, much more.
  3. You find a map to a unique ruin, lost city, or dungeon. Checks made to find your way around this new area are made with advantage.
  4. You find an ancient tome detailing the history of a ruin, lost city, or dungeon. Checks made to find out knowledge about this new area are made with advantage.
  5. On your travels to distant lands, you gain proficiency in a new language.
  6. During your travels you made a connection with an ally who owns a ship, caravan, or other vehicle. This ally will give you free passage to locations along their normal route.
  7. You find a wizard's spellbook with 1 cantrip, 1d6 1st-level spells, 1d4 2nd-level spells, 1d2 3rd-level spells, and one 4th-level spell.
  8. You find a bejeweled ring, necklace, or crown worth 2d10 x 10 gold pieces. It bears the marking of a noble house, who may trade the treasure for a favor, title, or property.
  9. An academic writes of your exploits, earning you a reputation as a (1d4: 1- fearless; 2- brilliant; 3- indomitable; 4- lucky) treasure hunter. This reputation may help you make new connections, access forbidden maps, or gain the attention of wealthy patrons.
  10. You find a reliquary worth 3d10 x 10 gold pieces. If you return it to an appropriate place of worship, they will reward you with free spellcasting services.
Banes (1d10)
  1. You receive a lingering injury. During the next opportunity for long-term downtime, you cannot choose Finding Treasure as an activity.
  2. You gain the attention of a rival treasure hunter.
  3. You receive a terrible scar, limp, or other lasting malady.
  4. Due to poor luck on your exploits, your treasure total is halved.
  5. You gain an Uncommon Magic Item... that is cursed!
  6. The treasure you found was idolized by a temple, noble household, or cult, whose malice you have now earned.
  7. You have been cursed! Your Hit Point Maximum is reduced by a number equal to your Proficiency Bonus. This curse can only be lifted by Greater Restoration, or a more powerful spell.
  8. Due to misinformation, miscommunication, or bad luck, you have earned a poor reputation in a community, who thinks of you as a (1d4: 1- graverobber; 2- heathen; 3- common thief; 4- liar). Charisma ability checks in this community are made at disadvantage while the reputation lasts.
  9. You have been cursed! You age 5d4 years (double if playing as a dwarf, elf, or gnome).
  10. The treasure you found was counterfeit! You may still try to sell it with a successful Charisma (Deception) check equal to the Treasure Rarity DC. If you fail by 5 or more, you will attract the attention of the authorities.

Downtime for a year or two... Normally I would say that treasure hunting should be standard adventuring, but if it's a "side quest" while other PCs are doing something involved I guess I could see it.

As to actual activities:
  • Working with an Organization; time at the Temple, Training Grounds, Thief's Guild, &c.
  • Research; complex magic items, rituals, lost fighting techniques, &c. (Gandalf at Minas Tirith)
  • Extreme Training or Meditations; looking to gain a bonus to attributes.
  • Administration of Holdings; Ruling your Barony, Guild
  • Courting and/or Securing an Heir
  • Negotiating Contracts / Treaties with Hostile Powers

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Downtime for a year or two... Normally I would say that treasure hunting should be standard adventuring, but if it's a "side quest" while other PCs are doing something involved I guess I could see it.

As to actual activities:
  • Working with an Organization; time at the Temple, Training Grounds, Thief's Guild, &c.
  • Research; complex magic items, rituals, lost fighting techniques, &c. (Gandalf at Minas Tirith)
  • Extreme Training or Meditations; looking to gain a bonus to attributes.
  • Administration of Holdings; Ruling your Barony, Guild
  • Courting and/or Securing an Heir
  • Negotiating Contracts / Treaties with Hostile Powers
Good list but I'd also add:

--- Travel and exploration of distant lands/places/cultures (in other words, tourism)
--- Doing Nothing, i.e. long-term rest and-or recovery of health, lost stat points, etc.

Banes (1d10)
  1. You receive a lingering injury. During the next opportunity for long-term downtime, you cannot choose Finding Treasure as an activity.
  2. You gain the attention of a rival treasure hunter.
  3. You receive a terrible scar, limp, or other lasting malady.
  4. Due to poor luck on your exploits, your treasure total is halved.
  5. You gain an Uncommon Magic Item... that is cursed!
  6. The treasure you found was idolized by a temple, noble household, or cult, whose malice you have now earned.
  7. You have been cursed! Your Hit Point Maximum is reduced by a number equal to your Proficiency Bonus. This curse can only be lifted by Greater Restoration, or a more powerful spell.
  8. Due to misinformation, miscommunication, or bad luck, you have earned a poor reputation in a community, who thinks of you as a (1d4: 1- graverobber; 2- heathen; 3- common thief; 4- liar). Charisma ability checks in this community are made at disadvantage while the reputation lasts.
  9. You have been cursed! You age 5d4 years (double if playing as a dwarf, elf, or gnome).
  10. The treasure you found was counterfeit! You may still try to sell it with a successful Charisma (Deception) check equal to the Treasure Rarity DC. If you fail by 5 or more, you will attract the attention of the authorities.
Replace #8 with this and you're golden.

Remove ads