Longbow & Composite Longbow

thundershot

Adventurer
This is going to sound stupid, but are you supposed to have separate proficiencies for bows and their composite counterparts? If not, what about weapon focus?

I've been under the assumption that you only need one proficiency until I recently questioned myself because I couldn't find it in the book...

Thanks!
Chris

Tiefling

First Post
Page 69 of Sword and Fist suggests that DMs allow Weapon Focus to apply to both normal an composite versions of the weapon, but it doesn't say anything about proficiencies. Personally I would allow proficiencies to apply to both too, but that's just me. :)

hong

WotC's bitch
They are listed as separate weapons, and hence need separate proficiencies.

It wouldn't be incredibly unbalancing to allow prof in (long/short) bow also apply to composite (long/short) bow, though.

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
I treat "composite" as a modifier. Increases range increment by 10 ft., Increases how mighty a bow can be, and increases cost. But this is probably not the official way to handle it. Given the number of slight variations represented by the various swords (E.g. Bastard Sword and Katana), however, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
Also according to the S&F, there is precedent for ruling that way in that if you are proficient with a whip you are also proficient with a whip dagger, although they are seperate weapons.

I cannot see any reason why that should not apply to longbows and composite longbows (and the shortbows as well).

In any case, you are proficient with the mighty version of the bow, though.

Wolf72

Explorer
Sir Hawkeye said:
I treat "composite" as a modifier. Increases range increment by 10 ft., Increases how mighty a bow can be, and increases cost. But this is probably not the official way to handle it. Given the number of slight variations represented by the various swords (E.g. Longsword and Katana), however, I don't think it's unreasonable.

Actually I think Katana and Bastard sword are the same exotic weapon feat, so prof in one is prof in the other.

graydoom

First Post
I'd certainly allow this. It's logical, and doesn't cause any real problems.

Also, the precedent set by a couple other thing makes this a logical extension. Most of those other things have already been mentioned.

dcollins

Explorer
Tiefling said:
Page 69 of Sword and Fist suggests that DMs allow Weapon Focus to apply to both normal an composite versions of the weapon, but it doesn't say anything about proficiencies. Personally I would allow proficiencies to apply to both too, but that's just me. :)

No, Sword and Fist p. 69 says exactly the opposite; that a person cannot use Weapon Focus (longbow) with a mighty composite longbow.

What it DOES suggest is a "rule variant" in which kindly DM's allow a PC to SWAP Weapon Focus in the former for weapon focus in the latter, and only at the moment of a level increase for the PC.

thundershot

Adventurer
<reads the section in S&F>

Right... Well, I'm going to leave it the way I've been doing it, since they're so similar. The proficiency part is moot anyway, since the character in question is an elf, but it got me curious... If it works for whip dagger, it works for composite!

Thanks!
Chris

(keeps hitting "POST NEW" instead of REPLY.. argh.)

dvvega

Explorer
Actually a longbow and a composite longbow are not similar enough to make Weapon Focus the same for both.

Yes I would agree the proficiency could remain the same (the composite bow needs more pull), however to be accurate with the bows requires different training.

Example: give an olympic archer a bow. They use compound bows. They're extremely accurate. Then toss them a longbow, without the pull, and see how accurate they can be. And before I get posts regarding this, I have already done the test. Although my friend is an amateur archer, he isn't too bad at the accuracy with his compound, but the normal longbow sucked miserably.

Remove ads