Longest Board Game You Ever Played

dm4hire

Explorer
Waxing nostalgic I started thinking about when I gamed back in my navy days and the many off the wall things we did. One of our escapades was tinkering with the rules for Axis & Allies, creating our own home rules and playing free for all games. One of those free for all games found us playing in teams with each team controlling one of the countries and there were about 10 – 15 of us playing. Thanks to our dedication in gaming and such a large number of people playing the game lasted almost a week non-stop as each member of a team took turns controlling our country. No one could get the upper hand as alliances shifted between players striving to make sure no one team actually got the better of the rest. So what’s the longest you’ve ever played a board game and why?

Dire Bare

Legend
Talisman 2nd Edition with ALL of the supplements, including the little ones from White Dwarf magazine. Just over a dozen people were playing, and everybody had a unique character as there were so many in the game. It took an entire day!

I've had some long Axis & Allies games as well, but never with more of the standard five.

My attention span is much shorter these days and I prefer games with relatively quick resolutions.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
We broke off our 9-person Advanced Civilization after 14 hours due common weariness.

We have had several gaming weekends with 4 or 5 hours of sleep in three days, but for various games, not a single one.

Those days are over, now, but in September we'll make another attempt with 20 adults and some 20 children. Maybe I dust off Pax Britannica? :erm:

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Civilization (not Sid Meier). My ex-girlfriend loved the game, but a game could take 12 hours easy. We would play and I would cook for everyone which irritated her because it took away from the game (she had Aspergers and didn't understand why everyone just didn't pack some easy to eat food knowing it was an all day game).

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
In college we had a stock-trading game called Maxi-Bourse. I don't recall exactly how many hours the game lasted, but we played all day Saturday, most of the day Sunday, and then came back to it in the evenings throughout the next week, until the next Saturday when we finally gave up because nobody could manage to win.

In the end we came to the conclusion we had misinterpreted some of the rules, thereby making the game near impossible to win.

Nebten

First Post
Back in high school we had a 3 day session of Axis & Allies. It was 4 of us, maybe the full 5. That was over 10 years ago and I haven't had the urge to play that game again since.

Edgewood

First Post
Last weekend, my friend and I started a new game of World in Flames. We decided to do a marathon weekend, playing both Saturday and Sunday. We started at the Sept/Oct 1939 turn and played both days for 12 hours each. We ended at the Jan/Feb turn of 1941. That's 24 hours of play and we managed 8 turns only. We still have the rest of the war to play!! If we were to play the whole game straight, we figure it would take nearly 200-250 hrs to play the whole thing.

mattcolville

Adventurer
We started a game of Avalon Hill's DUNE at 8pm and didn't finish until around 4am. Maybe 5am.

Some of the players hadn't played before, but one of the nice things about the game is after about 3 rounds, you've got it all figured out and then everyone was on a level playing field.

Remove ads