Longest Board Game You Ever Played

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Oh yes, it has to be Twilight Imperium 3e + Shattered Empires expansion. An 8 player game @ 12 hours with a collective food break. Good times!!

Merkuri

Explorer
Back in high school my church youth group had a really silly fundraiser called a "rockathon". It was like a walkathon except instead of people pledging money per mile you walk they pledge money for number of hours you're willing to spend in a rocking chair. (We were allowed a 5-minute break every hour for things like using the facilities.) The one year I did it we "rocked" for 24 hours straight.

We started really early in the morning (like, 6AM, I think) and early on five of us started a game of Risk before the sun came up. Two people got bored with it and dropped out within the first hour (their territories became neutral) and I think we wiped the third person within the second hour, then me and the other remaining player continued to play until after the sun went down. The entire game was somewhere between 10-12 hours long.

We were both fans of what we called the "slug maneuver" where you mass up a whole lot of armies on one territory and use that mass to blast through your enemy's territory, leaving a single army behind on each territory in your wake (the slime trail), but we never seemed to be able to build up enough mass to completely take out the other person, and from the handful of territories left unconquered the opponent would turn in all of their risk cards to build up a similar "slug" and would blast you back. It was kinda like a slowmo ping-pong ball tournament. :)

The other really long game we had was Settlers of Catan. I'd often bring this came to Cape weekends (when a bunch of us got together in a cabin on Cape Cod for a weekend) but because there were only four players usually somebody had to team up or get left out, so I purchased the expansion that lets six people play. We started soon after we had brunch and before we knew it it was dark and we were all hungry for dinner, then I think we got back from dinner and played some more. That was at least an 8 hour game, but could've been closer to 10 hours. I was actually surprised everybody in our group was willing to sit still for that long!

We all like Settlers, but I'm not sure everyone'd be willing to spend an entire day playing it again. I wish the game could be shorter but still allow six people. :p

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Would Battletech count as a board game?

Because back in high school we went crazy and devised a battalion on battalion battle. Lead figures for every single piece. A table tennis table covered in every single hex map we could find.

Started in spring, 6-10 hours each Saturday and Sunday, lasted until the next school year started in September.

We never did anything that dumb again, never fighting a battle larger than a couple lances at a time.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Would Battletech count as a board game?

Because back in high school we went crazy and devised a battalion on battalion battle. Lead figures for every single piece. A table tennis table covered in every single hex map we could find.

Started in spring, 6-10 hours each Saturday and Sunday, lasted until the next school year started in September.

We never did anything that dumb again, never fighting a battle larger than a couple lances at a time.

Yes, it certainly counts as a boardgame. :)

Cheers!

mandarific

First Post
Risk for me, I think we went for six hours? I get really antsy if I have to sit in one place for too long, though I've had some monster D&D sessions that went way longer than that.

dvvega

Explorer
World of Warcraft Boardgame: 6 hours

Arkham Horror (base set only): 2 players, 8-10 hours (it is fuzzy - I had a migraine). A 2 player game when one of you is geared up to kill monsters, the other is geared to shut down gates and the monster slayer has the "Paddy Wagon". It just kept going back and forth - I'd kill the monsters to clear the way for my wife to go for gates and keep out horror level down then we'd draw a new gate appearance. Was just endless!!

D

Magesmiley

Explorer
Over the years, I've done a number of long games (the longest being back in high school when I had a lot more time). Some of the more memorably long:

(all of these are with all of the expansions)
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition: 10 hours
Twilight imperium 2nd Edition: 12 hours
Talisman 2nd Edition: I had one which ran 14 hours, with Pandora's Box at the end and no one able to kill anyone using it. The end game took forever.
Axis & Allies: Longest here was at a game convention, we played for 12 hours the first day (with Japan and Russia taken out at the end of that day), then the three surviving players returned for the second and played another 6 before finally ending with a German victory.

But by far the longest I've game I've played was Supremacy. My siblings and a couple of my friends played a game one Summer during high school that ran on and off (playing 3-6 hours a session) over the course of a month. It probably cleared 40 hours in total. I was fortunate that we had a basement that I could leave the game set up that long.

Hejdun

First Post
I came in here to comment that old school Avalon Hill games are easily the longest games you'll ever play, and saw indeed lots of those answers.

My personal longest is probably Avalon Hill's Caesar (Battle of Alesia). One really long game lasted about 25 hours spread over a week or so. It has hundreds of finicky cardboard squares that can each conceivably move during each of the 20 turns.

Hugely interesting tactical situation as Rome though. Besieged and besieging at the same time. Lots of feints and misdirection and gut calls make it a very fun game. Now that I think about it, it'd probably be better to play on Maptool to avoid the whole cardboard piece insanity...

Remove ads