Look upon my works, ye mighty... (my players stay out, please)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The PCs ended last night's game by using a "pass through trees" ritual for teleporting to the lowest island in the aforementioned hanging gardens (earthburgs ripped from an island and set floating over the city, with a sparkling river flowing from one to another until the water turns to light mist and rainbows.)

What do you suppose is there? Guarded by the iron blade swordmages? Monsters set there to keep everyone off? Exotic plants? Some poor bastard who was living on the island when it was ripped into the sky? Young daredevil nobels with access to fly spells?

One thing I'm going to start doing: passing out these 2-3 paragraph history/backstory pieces you've been giving me as written history of the city, like small epigraphs. They're too good not to.

If you are running with my original idea that each earth burg would have a different climate then and go with the Hunting preserve, then some of them should have iconic monsters of D&D lore in the enviroment.

The Hunting Lodges incorporate circles of protection from the monsters in the perimeter wall and have a viewing rooms that used large mirrors and scrying rituals to allow the emperor and his guests to view the hunt.

WizarDru

Adventurer
What do you suppose is there? Guarded by the iron blade swordmages? Monsters set there to keep everyone off? Exotic plants? Some poor bastard who was living on the island when it was ripped into the sky? Young daredevil nobels with access to fly spells?

Notes from the Handbook to the Imperial Gardens:

When the young emperor Pelsidion laid eyes upon the Five Fold Field of the Tormenghast, he fell in love with it. The Tormenghast people, far less so. It was decided that this perfect vista, so exemplary in it's preserved state, should be added to the gardens, that the ermperor might gaze upon it at his whim. The Tormen War was brief and unfortunate. Those not killed for daring to resist the emperor's decree found themselves indoctrinated as slaves or concubines. And so it came to pass that great magics were wielded so that choicest section of the Five Fold Field should be transported and imposed. It was, to everyone's great embarrasment, discovered why, in fact, the land looked so beautiful. The Tormenghast considered the Five Fold Field their holy site of burial, wherein they had tended to its appearance for hundreds of years. Within three days of installing the Five Fold Field in the gardens, spirits would randomly arise to rip the flesh off of a guard or rend the soul of a wizard. It was generally decided that the Five Fold Field was best seen from behind a magical barrier, with only provisions for water to pass freely through it as part of the waterfall installation. This was not explained to the emperor until the sixth eunuch was put to death, though truthfully the emperor paid little attention to the screams of the first five. In a classic example of Imperial ingenuity, the emperor would turn leisurely boat rides through the garden into a bloodsport used to punish subordiantes and for his own amusement.

Few can argue that the Iothian Tribute is not a thing of natural beauty, a true wonder to behold. Fewer still would dare walk it without the proper protections, inhabited as it is by the natural denizens of the Iothian Jungle. The Tribute was offered to the Imperial Gardens as a peace offering after the Third Iothian Subjugation. Featuring a tribute to the emperor carved in delicate patterns of intricate subtlety, the stone-work of it's plaza resembles natural scenery. It is attended by the giant and abnormally intelligent Ver'a'sta birds, raised from birth to fanatically obey the emperor and preserve the Tribute. A pity then that a well-meaning scholar eunuch noticed that a carefully hidden cipher in the Old Script was worked into the intricate stone patterns, an ancient verse that insulted the Emperor's sexual practices, his likewise physicality and his uncertain parentage. It is uncertain whether this was the work of a single Iothian or many. It will never been known, given that the now-enlightened emperor dispatch two of his titans to eradicate the Iothian nation. Eunuch scholars also quickly learned the lesson that ignorance can be a good thing, when the emperor had him tortured and executed for forever ruining his enjoyment of the Tribute.

Our Benevolent Emperor has provided yet another sign of his magnimacity! Next time you come to the Imperial Gardens, you must visit the Skimstone Islands! First board your Skimcraft with your Captain, Ernesto Bloodwind! He'll take you to the SKimstone Upper Island. From there you can enjoy many entertainments and thrills, popular with all the nobility and financially secure! Dare you brave...the Phantom Bridges? Take a Leap of Faith on the criss-crossing beams connecting the upper and lower islands...No, you're not struck blind by the plague! They're invisible! (Imperial Warning: Only half of the bridges have safety nets, walk at your own peril). Want something for the whole family? You'll Amaze at the Skimstone Imperial Pleasure Yacht! A lovingly built replica of our own Glorious Emperor's personal sailing vessel (used only on the Imperila LakeSea), everyone can climb aboard and ride the magical rivers of the gardens (Imperial Warning: not responsible for any danger to passengers, craft only seats four, do not exit vehicle or put hands outside the vehicle at any time). For the true thrill seekers, we have the Skimstone Drop! Grab your Drop-Bag and grab your rope. Let the old folk ride the boat, while you jump right off the upper island! Rip open your bag and let the contained air elemental slow your descent to the lower island. What a Rush! Every survivor of the ride claims it was the most exciting thing they've ever done. (Imperial Warning: Do not taunt captive air elemental. Not responsible for loss of life, magic items, currency or personal effects. The dead surrender all personal property to the Empire. Damage to Imperial Property can result in summary execution. On rare occasions, elemental may deposit rider on another island; if this happens, wait for rescue.[/i]) While you're there, make sure to visit the Empire's only captive tame Githyanki! Once an invading marauder, now he's hell-bent to entertain as the garden's favorite busker! ([i[Imperial Warning: Any attempts to fulfill Githyanki's desire to end his life will result in death by execution for treason.[/i]). Come one, come all to the Imperial Gardens and Skimstone Resort! All Hail the Emperor!!

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
to WizarDru:
' .. .. .. .. given out too much xp in 24 hours"

Sorry man, loved the ideas and story line though.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I don't know if this would fit in with the floating islands, but as I was reading through these, I thought of a chess game(or its fantasy equivalent) where the pieces are all criminals, traitors, slaves, etc.

The game is played with the emperor and foreign diplomats(if there are any), his favorites in the court, etc. Just like in the old Battlechess games, if one player takes the other player's piece, the taken piece is killed by the attacking piece.

To ensure the cooperation of all the "pieces", they wear magical/psionic slave collars the force them to do the player's bidding.

Even better would be pieces that aren't forced, but are convinced to willingly die in the game via promises (your soul will go to paradise), threats (do it or your whole family will be here for the next game), or just a quick per-game trip through the Emperor's Torturarium where torturers from all across the Empire come to show the Emperor how slowly and inventively people can be killed. As a bit of additional incentive those that survive the game without breaking the "rules" are given a hundred gold and released "by the Emperor's mercy".

How great would it for the PCs to see some murder they had captured and turned over to the authorities ten sessions ago show up on the board, whether he's a piece for the other side the PCs might have to fight, a piece on their own side, or even to see him be a lucky survivor and be set free with the Emperor's pardon?

Alternatively to the "auto-kill" rule, the pieces may be allowed to fight it out: White Pawn B2(shackled slave) takes Black Queen C3(enraged manticore). Each square is surrounded by a force cube so the "pieces" can't interfere with each other until the players move them. If one piece is ordered to take another one, their forcefields are dropped and they fight it out until one of them is dead, at which point they have to move to the appropriate square and the forcefield is raised again.

The latter variant would be a cool one if the players stumble into it and are forced to battle it out one-on-one with the other pieces. You could even give them short rests while they are in their forcefields so they are somewhat fresh for each fight.

Dunno if it's worth incorporating, but the idea struck me as neat.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
[MENTION=151]WizarDru[/MENTION], here's what i'll be handing out to the PCs tonight:

Notes from the Handbook to the Imperial Gardens:

When the young Emperor Pelsidion laid eyes upon the Five Fold Field of the Tormenghast, he fell in love with it. The Tormenghast people, far less so. It was decided that this perfect vista, so exemplary in its preserved state, should be added to the gardens, that the Emperor might gaze upon it at his whim. The Tormen War was brief and unfortunate. Those not killed for daring to resist the emperor's decree found themselves indoctrinated as slaves or concubines. And so it came to pass that great magics were wielded so that choicest section of the Five Fold Field should be transported and transformed, its beauty conveniently viewed at the Emperor's merest whim. It was, to everyone's great embarrassment, soon discovered why, in fact, the land looked so beautiful. The Tormenghast considered the Five Fold Field their holy site of burial, wherein they had tended to its appearance for hundreds of years. Within three days of installing the Five Fold Field as floating gardens above the city, worm-ridden spirits would randomly arise to rip the flesh off of a guard or rend the soul of a wizard. It was generally decided that the Five Fold Field was best seen from behind magical protection, with only provisions for the imperial barges to pass freely through the waterfall installation. This was not explained to the Emperor until the sixth boat-guiding eunuch was slain, though truthfully the Emperor paid little attention to the screams of the first five. In a classic example of Imperial ingenuity, the Emperor then turned leisurely boat rides through the floating garden into a bloodsport used to punish noble traitors, respected subordinates and for his own amusement. The practice has fallen out of favor in recent generations, but the Five Fold Field is still tended and the phrase "pulling the barge" remains a synonym for "being executed for treason."

The monster? Sons of Kyuss that rip themselves out of the ground. Ought to be fun!

Heathen72

Explorer
I am going to try for a couple of things that aren't so MASSIVE. That is not to knock the marvellous BIG ideas in this thread (which I love) but rather suggest that, like Ming the Merciless tiring of blowing up planets, the Emperor might eventually get bored with all the Colossal architecture and look for something a bit different'. I am also trying for things that impact on the folk's everyday lives. So:

1. No matter where it is spoken, how loudly or quietly, whenever the name or title of the Emperor is mentioned it is accompanied by some magical aspect of adoration or respect. Maybe it is as simple as a magical fanfare that automatically occurs. Maybe it simply sounds like each speaker of His name is James Earl Jones. Or perhaps a small red carpet rolls uncomfortably over the tongue and from the mouth as one speaks His August Name so as not to sully It, which has to be removed afterwards. Whatever the choice, I think it is important that P'Cat mention it or the players evoke it every time it is spoken, even if it pisses them off, and for them to know that calling the Emperor "he who shall not be named" is verboten. Oh, annoyingly, a similar effect occurs when the Emperor or his title is used in print. As you can see.
2 Everyday garden variety Kings and Queens have mere coins minted in their image. In the Emperor's realm, every mirror reflects His image to everyone. So, If one is in a bar, everyone - including oneself - appears in the mirror to have the Emperor's head.
3 The Emperor like's to be the last person to bed at night. So a horn is blown when he is about to get into His pyjamas so that everyone knows they need to get into bed - NOW!. The penalty if you are seen breaking the curfew is a week of sleep deprivation, though kid's may be exempt. Or not. Alternatively, the Emperor might want to be the last person out of bed and the penalty applies for people found still in bed after He awakes. Unfortunately, the Emperor keeps odd hours.

These things don't need to be a permanent part of the landscape. Indeed, as PirateCat's players are already in the City and have seen these things not happen, they may instead be examples of monthly whims that the citizens of the city cope with.

Alternatively, it's worth noting that everyone in the land would be trying to curry the Emperor's favour, and - like the followers of the Sun King - they would indulge in all sorts of bizarre behaviour to get it. Any of the above ideas might instead be something the nobles voluntarily undertake at Court to impress the Emperor and improve their status. So, the current fad might be every noble having his mouth enchanted so that something impressive happens when he speaks the Emperor's name. The nobility would all be trying to outdo each other of course, and the effects would grow more and more ludicrous before the Emperor finally tires of it, whereupon doing it would be social suicide... In the same vein (or should I say vain!) instead of the mirror idea, perhaps in the fashion quarter everyone actually has, ala Aphex Twin, actually taken on the Emperor's visage. Or that of his favourite Opera Singer. Or pet corgi.

These things might end up being part of the plot. Perhaps the players might need to come up with something small and simple to impress the Emperor. Or if they are never to look upon Him, perhaps they need to come up with a cool idea for a noble who is not being noticed in court - to earn a favour in return. Or perhaps a member of the party needs to magically transform his appearance because a fashionista the group needs to befriend turns up her nose at anyone who doesn't follow court fashions enough to wear the right face...

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
The monster? Sons of Kyuss that rip themselves out of the ground. Ought to be fun!

[Steepling his fingers]
Excellent. Their suffering will be most....delicious.
[/steepling]

:)

Those monsters, by the way, creep me the hell out. Which is the point, I guess.

Remove ads