Look upon my works, ye mighty... (my players stay out, please)

Coldwyn

First Post
Room with a view

Well, now he´s having this nice palace, there needs to be a view. Therefore said ruler needs to rebuild the city and he´s not having any practical solutions in mind.

ruemere

Adventurer
Usually people whose power exceeds limits of their imagination are held in check by a caste of dedicated caretakers (army generals, priesthood). Such leaders usually, in addition to their whims, follow goals presented by trusted advisors belonging to caretaker castes (wars, tombs, conquests).

To find possible development, try to think who advises the emperor, and then proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Ruemere

Rechan

Adventurer
I might be wrong here, but I think PCat is just looking for some setting color. His campaign (as far as I can tell) doesnt' involve the Emperor's activities at all, this is just a nice little bit of background flavor going on in the world.

Unless it's not. :D

fba827

Adventurer
large and detailed statues of himself (perhaps allllll over the capital city to be really ridiculous)

some odd mandate like "all palace rooms must be made entirely of [insert rare precious metal like adamantine or something]" - walls, floor, ceilings, etc.

for one that is more religiously inspiried (i.e. he belives himself to be a child of the gods or what not) than massive statues with detail for each of the 'important' gods. (important to him and his lineage/choosing of him as ruler anyway)

all water for use must be santcified as holy prior to use (including drinking and bathing) thus massive resources go in to the church to keep up such a supply. or, for a smaller scale (more realtistic scale), just all water used in the palace must be sanctified.

all people in the capital city are required to wear a certain uniform at all times (or perhaps different uniforms for citizens, palace workers, officials, and miltary). thus there would be a lot of resources put in to the making, cleaning/upkeep of such uniforms - all the wizards would be busy with prestigidation to clean anytime the blacksmith got soot on his clothes and such...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Your mad king needs a nice place to live:

NeuschwansteinCastle1.jpg

Only bigger. Much bigger. With lots of permanent unseen servants and at least one choir of slaves who've been surgically altered so that each can sing only a single perfect note.

He has magic users working for him; right?

The Imperial Fireworks. Some sort of bronze and stone monstrosity that looks like a pipe organ mated with half of the sculptures in the art museum. Every night just after dark, it fills the sky with a shower of light and sound, a fireworks show. On the night of the emperor's birthday (and maybe other special nights), it showers the sky all night long (keeping everyone in the city awake, of course). No matter what, the thing cannot be turned off.

If the emperor is a lunatic, have it be real fire where occassional sparks fall back and start fires in the city. If the wizards are smarter, then it's just illusionary light and sound.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

I'd add that it IS a pipe organ. The emperor himself plays it. It's the size of a cathedral and is housed in something akin to the parthenon. Every night, he plays the national song (which he wrote...and isn't all that catchy) on the organ, which is punctuated by the fireworks as part of the song itself....)

diaglo

Adventurer
a zoo a la The Cage from Star Trek. the emperor can look in on all his wonderful beasts.

a new set of clothes. he has allergies to every known material or at least thinks he does. thus is nekkid. he is always attempting to buy new clothes. no one outside his circle of close confidantes knows his fear/allergy problem. could replace this with a howard hughes like complex.

the perfect shoe. think imelda marcos.

the trophy room. he hunts everything. he is in search of the last unicorn or last creature X to complete his collection. could be stamps, butterflies, or coins too. the room is setup so things are pristine. humidity controlled and all.

the garden of eden or cue gardens if you like. he has brought a plant from every known place to his palace.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The Hanging Gardens: Done Right.

Earth Motes, the highest one is at the snow line and has a Tundra climate. Within it there is a cave with a portal to the Elemental Chaos/Elemental Plane of water and it pours out continous water which forms 4 streams that cascade over the edge on to 4 more earth motes with temperate woodland climates and from there cascade to semi-tropical and on again to tropical climates.
Each earthmote is large enough to be a hunting preserve and the streams terminate back in to a single desert earthmote and the water passes out another permanent portal.
There are small pleasure palaces (Hunting Lodges) on each one and they are linked by permenant protals.
The Emperor occasionally amsuses himself by executing people that tee him off by having him/her tossed off the topmost one with a promise that if he/she hits the plunge pool on the neithermost mote and survives he/she can go free.

Remove ads