Looking At The Abstract Of Game Design

Game design is a bit like being a shark in that it has to keep moving, or it will die. Of course there are always exceptions, because some sharks have adapted to be able to keep breathing without having to move. This can have its advantages, but sooner or later you've reached a point where you stop moving. Then you become dead in the water. This week's essay was sparked by my watching a...

Game design is a bit like being a shark in that it has to keep moving, or it will die. Of course there are always exceptions, because some sharks have adapted to be able to keep breathing without having to move. This can have its advantages, but sooner or later you've reached a point where you stop moving. Then you become dead in the water.

This week's essay was sparked by my watching a couple of episodes of the new Netflix documentary series Abstract: The Art of Design. It dropped last week, but it popped up on my feed there a couple of nights ago. Each episode revolves around a designer in a different field: an illustrator, a shoe designer, a stage designer, an architect, an automotive designer, a graphic designer, a photographer and an interior designer. On the surface these all seem to be very different from each other, but as you zoom in, you start to see the commonalities. Tinker Hatfield, for example, was an Olympic pole vaulter hopeful whose future in that was ended by an injury. He fell back into his studies as an illustrator and architecture student, and used this training to work with his track coach at the University of Oregon to help him design athletic shoes. After an audition with Nike he started working for them, and ended up revitalizing and saving the Air Jordan brand.

Whether as a GM, or as a game designer, the ideas of design, whether in photography, graphic design or architecture, influence how I think to a great degree. In fact, the next book in my "to-read" pile is a book that I picked up on my recent trip to Las Vegas for my birthday, Obsolescence by Daniel Abramson. It is a history of architecture that looks at the idea of creating buildings and spaces that aren't intended to last for hundreds of years, but become obsolete within a short span of years (architecturally speaking, of course). You can see this principal at work in some buildings from the 1960s and 70s. Malls in particular.

The book interested me because it seemed to sync up with some ideas that I read about a while ago, the research sparked by Desolation Jones, a Warren Ellis-created comic published by DC Comics. On the surface it was a spy comic that presages the Burn Notice television program, but with that crossroads of vision and brutality that you really only see when Ellis is firing on all cylinders. Of course, the story is just a carrier for Ellis' ideas, in this case a discussion of the architectural concept of supermodernity. Supermodernity and Abramson's Obsolescence tie together because one of the principle ideas of supermodernity is the idea that there are spaces (mostly public spaces like airports) that are designed for a transient experience, rather than a permanent one. The idea that spaces can be made simply to pass through, rather than to take root in.

As you can imagine, this idea was one that a lot of people had a hard time coming to grips with. Most architects and designers felt that even transient spaces should have a sense of permanence to them, because permanence is calming to people. This shows how mindsets can be shifted.

So, you're probably thinking to yourself right now "I've just read about 500 words on a site about role-playing games, and I haven't read anything about games or game design yet." In a way, that is what I have been talking about all along, and it ties in to the opening of this essay about sharks. Yes, you've stumbled into another "Chris thinks about gaming" piece that the internet loves so much.

If it isn't obvious from my writings about gaming, its industry and the "culture" around, I'm not one for status quos just for the sake of keeping the same thing around.

To bring things back to the start of the circle, it is probably fairly obvious from my writings that I am not one for maintaining the status quo just for its own sake. This is where the "sharks much swim or die" metaphor that I started this column with comes into play. We need to start looking for the game designers who want games that have different influences than an ancient list of mostly out of print books in the back of a Dungeons & Dragons book that Gary may, or may not, have read. One of the things that the interviews with the designers in Abstract points out is that successful design does not say in one place, and this principle applies to the design of tabletop role-playing games as well.

It is more than just the influences that inform the settings, worlds and characters, too. It is just as important to keep looking at how games are made, and how they are played, in order to get, not necessarily better games, but games that have different perspectives and outlooks. This might even inadvertently lead to a more diverse set of games being produced.

I follow a lot of different people on my various social media feeds. I have a lot of different interests, from gaming to comics to music to a lot of things, and my feeds feature that. I follow a lot of people who make the things that I like, and that I want to know more about. Joe Illidge, who was an editor at Milestone Media and a Batman editor at DC Comics, recently shared some art from a Brazilian artist who was doing homages to famous Marvel Comics covers by artist Jack Kirby.
The art highlighted figures from African religion, which have also figured into Voodoo and Santeria beliefs, and they were incredible. When I saw them pop up in my Facebook feed my first thought was "How cool is this?" but that thought was quickly followed by "When can I get a role-playing game that is based around this concept?" This is the core of what I am getting at with this column. Role-playing games really need to look outside of the shrinking circle of inspirations and influences that have been done over and again during the last 30+ years.

For game design to stay fresh and relevant there needs to be designers who are willing and able to look beyond these already existing influences, and figure out how to make the things that excite them into concepts that might work in gaming. They won't always work, Tinker Hatfield nearly torpedoed the Nike and Air Jordan brands with a misstep on one of the shoes that he designed for them. Yes, sometimes you can be too daring, and take things too far. The problem is that unless you push those boundaries out, you will never know if you've gone too far, or not far enough.

AriochQ

Adventurer
RPG concepts rely on some amount of shared cultural knowledge. Western culture has a great degree of shared fantasy knowledge, making it easy to popularize a game in that area. Other areas, such as Sci-Fi, wild west, or horror, also have a pretty good shared knowledge base. When you start to get to the more esoteric game concepts, you draw from a smaller market.

It does tend to be a Catch-22 in that to popularize a new concept there needs to be material produced and consumed by the culture, but production of new material is restricted by the limited audience. The development of steampunk is a good example of this. There was a hint of steampunk in the early writing authors like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, but it wasn't really a genre at that point. GDW's Space 1889, published in 1988, was the first real attempt to turn the concepts into a game but met with a lukewarm reception. I would posit because we did not have a sufficient cultural base in 1988.

Around that time Gibson and Sterling started to popularize the developing genre in literature and by the early 2000's Hollywood had latched on with The League or Extraordinary Gentlemen, Wild Wild West, and various other movies and TV shows. From that point on, you see steampunk elements in multiple mediums as the shared cultural knowledge had hit critical mass and it now appealed to a broader audience, making games using the steampunk concept economically viable.

So what does this have to do with game design? While a game drawing from Aztec mythology and pre-Columbian culture may be new, different, and exciting, the market is fairly limited since there is very little shared cultural knowledge. Everyone knows what you mean when you say 'longsword', very few know when you say 'macuahuitl'. Unless your game design is a labor of love, creativity is limited by economic/business forces relating to shared cultural knowledge.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
This is a great article. Reflects my feeling about design in RPGs also. There's a tremendous amount of pushback on it, too - there are going to be people who say that if the game doesn't include X or Y legacy idea (whether it's elves, or d20s, or hit points, or a monster manual) then it's no good. I embrace the challenge of confronting those persistent legacy ideas and encouraging new design and new approaches.

I think that we need to differentiate between the specific "Legacy" idea. There are those ideas that are mere tradition, those ideas that work well in any design, and those that have been tried and failed. I am not saying every idea has been tried, far from it, but quite a few have been tried and do not appeal to the audience in a broad way. Three wheeled carts are great, but four wheeled carts generally are more stable.

I guess what I am saying is that to have a coherent game design, you really should know more about why you are making the game than it is just Redshifting away from older games and nostalgia. The simple act of abandoning "older" designs does not ensure a coherent enough idea to justify a new deign. It certainly can be part of a greater idea, for sure, but alone does not seem to equal quality.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Of course. I think randomly doing things in game design just because they're not the way they're done up to that point shows no more sense than keeping everything just because that's how it's always done.

Anon Adderlan

Explorer
Familiarity is almost always a better bet than innovation once you're established and concerned with the bottom line. As a consequence I've seen major movies, electronic games, and software platforms actually become less innovative (and useful), and the stuff based on 'western' concepts become increasingly shallow and derivative.

I'm also seeing a lot of censoring going on when games from other cultures get licensed and regionalized. So how can we even begin to get those diverse voices when they're silenced the minute they become too divergent or challenging?

On the other hand I'm not seeing any of this when it comes to tabletop RPGs. And how can a game be obsolete if it continues to be played for the same reasons, and evokes the same responses, as it first did?

Unless we're saying (something about) the experience itself becomes obsolete.

RPG concepts rely on some amount of shared cultural knowledge.

It may very well be they depend on that more than any other media, in which case we should be looking for the next big cultural wave to ride.

But that won't be coming from inside the tabletop game design community because their needs have already been met. And the rapid extinction of offline culture makes it really difficult to explore the problem space there. So we get #StarWars, #StarTrek, #LordOfTheRings, and #Zombies over and over again, all of which are arguably more popular now than they ever were.

And while everyone in the community pushes for #Diversity when it comes to game designers, they still haven't made a compelling case for engineers, programmers, scientists, economists, managers, philosophers, advertisers, actors, architects, or other disciplines to become involved and participate. That's when #Diversity will really start to shine, so I'm glad to see shows like #Abstract being considered.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads