D&D 2E Looking back at the Monstrous Compendia: the MC appendices, Monstrous Manual, and more!

Orius

Legend
I guess this one's not bad if one is looking for Far Eastern themed monsters. I can't say for certain, because there's a lot of folklore and mythology here that I'm not familiar with so I have no idea how authentic or accurate this stuff is. OTOH, the traditional Western monsters occasionally get butchered in D&D so maybe it doesn't matter too much, and I shouldn't worry about it. In any case, this is one I looked into because it should be adaptable to more general campaigns.

I don't think the references to the Celestial Bureaucracy are that big a deal. The actual crunch mechanics matter more IMO, and the Celestial Bureaucracy is fluff mostly in the Habitat and Ecology sections. One could just use the monsters connected to the Celestial Bureaucracy as divine servants. But then it also doesn't matter to me because any Far Eastern themed elements I'd put in my game would be strongly influenced by Chinese culture in the first place, and thus I would be using a homebrewed take on the Celestial Bureaucracy anyway (not the D&D takes from Gods, Demigods, and Heroes, Deities and Demigods and Legends and Lore but my own work).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And now we come to the first monster book that's full of original monsters, developed for a campaign setting that debuted in AD&D 2nd Edition instead of being a 1E update. That's right, we come now to MC7 Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix, or at I like to call it, the book of monsters...

IIIIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Now, I promise I'm not trying to turn these MC retrospectives into excuses to wax nostalgic about their respective campaign settings, but given how many of them are campaign-world specific that oftentimes can't be helped. Particularly so when it's related to the ever-present issue of trying to balance that specificity with making the monsters usable in most other campaigns (either homebrew or official).

Spelljammer, however, is different in that regard (albeit not unique), because much like the planes of existence, it's sort of a "meta-setting," making up part of the background that virtually all campaign worlds will have. Sure, you might not ever have your PCs ever venture into space...but who can say that your next session won't be one where the party gets it in their heads to fly (or teleport) to the moon, and suddenly you're scrambling to figure out what's there. At least with MC7, you'll have something to draw upon.

Of course, whether or not that something will be worthwhile is very much a different issue.

All of which is to say that the monsters in this book are weird. Not necessarily bad, mind you, but strange. Depending on what you think of space adventures, this is either this MCs greatest feature or its fatal flaw. Personally, I get a kick out of this; there are too many monsters that try to fill the same relative niche (we're barely over a half-dozen monster books in, and I've already lost count of how many goblinoids we've seen), so it's nice that this book really tries to mix things up...at least mostly; try as it might to fool me, the space mimic is pretty much just a normal mimic with a tiny bit of magical ability and a somewhat phantasmagoric stellar makeover.

Most of these other creatures, however, are essentially minor adventures unto themselves. I mean, take a look at SJR8 Space Lairs; most of what's there just slaps an introduction and resolution onto a random encounter with some of these creatures, along with a mini-map (okay, that's an uncharitable way to describe SJR8, but it's not that much of an exaggeration).

And really, that's sort of how it should be. The way I see it, this monster book is basically adhering to the "Star Trek" style of weird monster encounters, where the adventures are episodic in nature, often themed around running into some strange new creature that you've never encountered before, and never will again. I mean, how many gorns did we see after the first time Kirk fought one (gold star to the first Trekkie (Trekker?) who can answer that!). Same thing here, just with an albari, or a blazozoid, or a misi, etc.

What's funny about this is that it almost seems like a deliberate rejection of the idea of "traction" that's been talked about previously in this thread. The vast majority of these monsters aren't very memorable, but I could kinda sorta see myself being talked into maybe thinking that was possibly the point. I mean, there's virtually nothing here that you could build much of a campaign on (though Teldin Moore of the Cloakmaster Cycle of spelljammer novels would note that the reigar can, at the very least, kick off a campaign), but by that same token if all you need is an evening's weirdness, just open this MC to a random page and odds are you're good to go. Sure, you'll need to do a little more than "you see a strange monster; roll for initiative!", but again, if you play up the investigative/diplomatic aspects of what most of these things bring to the (game)table, you can absolutely get a session out of the majority of these monsters.

Of course, there are a few breakouts. For instance, my honor as a gamer won't let me fail to mention how the giant space hamster (quite possibly the only "normal animal, but bigger" monster that anyone actually liked) originated here. Yeah, sure, we all know Boo these days, but he's just one of the many, MANY variant types of GSHs listed here! When the carnivorous flying giant space hamster goes for the eyes, cyclopes everywhere whimper in terror!

Slightly less ridiculous were the major expansions that the beholders got here. While these don't represent the full range of eye tyrant-related monsters that you'll find in I, Tyrant, these were where the ideas of beholders having their own "castes" (for lack of a better term) which collectively made them a major threat to the space-lanes got started.

And of course, here we find the monster entries for the hadozee (whereas the PC rules were in CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook). Nuff said.

I should also point out that several of the monsters here seem to wear their inspirations rather openly. Now, that's not too unusual, given that space travel/exploration has "traditionally" been the province of science fiction, which is fantasy's slightly-more-respected cousin (the use of sarcasm quotes around "traditionally" is to indicate how they were, until relatively recently, the same genre), and so there are many inspirations at work, ranging from the classical to the esoteric. Hence, if you know what to look for, the templates which derived these creatures looms large. The clockwork horrors, for example, are von Neumann probes. The murderoid is (basically) that thing that tried to eat the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars. The lakshu are from the anime Legend of Heavenly Sphere Shurato, as @AuldDragon so helpfully informed us.

Of course, in a few cases, the obvious inspirations are wrong, even if they're no less hilarious for it. Just looking at the chattur, for instance, makes me want to make a crack about the High Evolutionary. I suppose "Guardians of the Crystal Sphere" doesn't have quite the same ring, though, does it?

But really, this MC is fairly tame in that regard. We'll get quite a few more "serial numbers filed off" monsters in the next Spelljammer monster book. But that will have to wait, because beyond even wildspace, comes the planes of existence...

Please note my use of affiliate links in this product.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
being new and interesting characters for your PCs to kill and loot meet and interact with.
AS FAR AS MONSTER MANUALS ARE CONCERNED, 2E CAN'T BE BEAT!

I remember getting the FR Heroes Lore book around this time of year 96 or so. Very odd story. A friend of mine hired me to help tear off a roof on a house of a friend of ours. Guy I was gaming with drove by (as we all ran in the same circles), dropped off the Heroes Lore book because he had just come from Media Play as I was DMing at that time. Workdays over about twilight and I walk a few blocks to another friend's house, drink some beers and did some Lysergic acid diethylamide, So for the next 14 hours I'm dosed and carting around and trying not to forget this book. Fast forward a week and we're running through Sword of the Dales, I'm DMing. and the PCs are in trouble, about to buy the farm. Shravins Tomb iirc. I had maybe 5 seconds to figure this out, do the PCs die or not? I recalled one specific but random line from the Heros Lore Book in Dove Falconhands' entry and it fit perfect. She just showed up, whipped ass and left. Never talked to the PCs, but I gave them the aire that she was on a more important mission didn't care about them but they just crossed paths...got lucky.

Voadam

Legend
The clockwork horrors, for example, are von Neumann probes.
That works. "If one thinks of the crystal spheres as single cells in the body of the cosmos, then one must certainly think of clockwork horrors as viruses that have come to destroy that body." I thought they were very interesting monsters but had no idea what their inspiration was. They seem built for a specific story where they are the big threat. I had heard someone suggest they were Doctor Who Daleks but that match never fully clicked for me with the spider form and the strip mining.

Orius

Legend
Okay, Spelljammer is where we start getting to the hit or miss stuff.

Alzrius really does cover the main issue with this one. There's a lot of stuff that just doesn't work outside Spelljammer, because a good number of these monsters are designed to be encountered in space. This isn't something a typical D&D campaign is going to need. And a good number of these things are adventures unto themselves, and some of those might be the sort of thing that really can only get used once.

The most usable stuff got reprinted outside Spelljammer too. The various beholder kin mostly made it to to MM and the clockwork horrors went on to the 4th MC Annual and then to 3e's MMII (don't know if they made it past 3e). So this stuff had a little traction.

But Spelljammer's biggest winner of traction and arguably one of 2e's biggest traction winners overall was in the campaign setting box -- the neogi. Now those guys really have traction, and it's not hard to see why. They have an eel head and neck on a spider body, but Tony DiTerlizzii's illo in the MM makes the eel parts look really snaky. And anything that looks like a cross between a snake and a spider is guaranteed to trigger phobias. They were designed to be one of the big villains in the setting, and when people who are willing to tolerate mind flayers want to kill you on sight, you know you've hit the big time of evil. They enslave umber hulks on a very regular basis, so that gives them a connection to an existing monster. And of course, they got included in the MM which gave them much more exposure and they were adaptable to more normal D&D campaigns. The neogi were just one of the best damn things that came out of Spelljammer.

And yes, there's the giant space hamsters. We can't forget them. Spelljammer was gloriously gonzo, and is a setting that can do some serious mood whiplash. This is the setting where you can go from bumping into a gnomish sidewheeler with all those hamsters or encountering a platoon of giff, only to run into a bunch of neogi mindspiders, get trapped on the Spelljammer, find yourself enmeshed in the nasty plotting on the Rock of Bral, get killed or worse by the reigar simply for the art, end up in the middle of a six-way mutual beholder genocide, not to mention the scro, the mind flayers, the clockwork horrors, the witchlight marauders (spoilers for next time!), etc.

But all in all, MC7 is really an optional MC. Most of its stuff is probably useful in the context of a Spelljammer campaign, but far less so outside it.

Milieu

Explorer
I mean, how many gorns did we see after the first time Kirk fought one (gold star to the first Trekkie (Trekker?) who can answer that!).
It depends on what you mean by "after", because they mostly appear in prequels, and also "see", because in some cases we see their ships but not the creatures, or only their skeletons, or action figures of them.
  • One Gorn appeared in the background in The Animated Series.
  • A Gorn appears in one episode of Enterprise, set in the Mirror Universe (and before TOS).
  • In the 3rd season of Discovery, which was to that point prequel to TOS, they time travel to the 31st century and find some Gorn skeletons, but no live Gorn.
  • Strange New Worlds (another prequel) has made a whole big thing about one of the main characters being a survivor of Gorn attacks as a child, and they've shown up several times: in several cases, we only see their ships, but there is one episode that is a very blatant rip-off of Aliens, in which we see the chest-burster and face-hugger forms of juvenile Gorn. (There's even a Newt-like character!)
  • Lower Decks is the only one besides The Animated Series I can be unequivocal about, because it's set a little after TNG, and shows living Gorn on camera. In one episode, a character crashes (literally) a Gorn wedding. There's another other episode in which some Gorn appear in the background on a starbase, and also one character has a Gorn model/action figure that appears in the background a few times.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It depends on what you mean by "after", because they mostly appear in prequels, and also "see", because in some cases we see their ships but not the creatures, or only their skeletons, or action figures of them.
  • One Gorn appeared in the background in The Animated Series.
  • A Gorn appears in one episode of Enterprise, set in the Mirror Universe (and before TOS).
  • In the 3rd season of Discovery, which was to that point prequel to TOS, they time travel to the 31st century and find some Gorn skeletons, but no live Gorn.
  • Strange New Worlds (another prequel) has made a whole big thing about one of the main characters being a survivor of Gorn attacks as a child, and they've shown up several times: in several cases, we only see their ships, but there is one episode that is a very blatant rip-off of Aliens, in which we see the chest-burster and face-hugger forms of juvenile Gorn. (There's even a Newt-like character!)
  • Lower Decks is the only one besides The Animated Series I can be unequivocal about, because it's set a little after TNG, and shows living Gorn on camera. In one episode, a character crashes (literally) a Gorn wedding. There's another other episode in which some Gorn appear in the background on a starbase, and also one character has a Gorn model/action figure that appears in the background a few times.
As promised, gold star to you!

Richards

Legend
They also made a crossover appearance in an episode of The Big Bang Theory, albeit in a dream sequence.

1690645798778.png

Johnathan

Faolyn

(she/her)
But all in all, MC7 is really an optional MC. Most of its stuff is probably useful in the context of a Spelljammer campaign, but far less so outside it.
A fair number of Spelljammer monsters can be used in more traditional settings, I think.

Aartuks, sillixes, and wiggles make for "new" replacements for the various "always evil kill on sight" humanoids like orcs, hobgoblins, bullywugs, etc. And they're alien enough that one could forgive them for not having understandable culture like most humanoids should.

Astereaters and gravitars are certainly no weirder (or bigger) than beholders and could easily be beholder-kin. They would just need to be renamed.

Gromman and hadozee are just ape-folk. Use as directed.

Jammer leeches and mortisses can be found on regular boats.

Lutem make for a potentially more interesting (or at least, less traditional) doppelganger.

Renamed murderoids could be murderous floating islands.

Plasmoids could be dungeon creatures, since they're basically sentient oozes. And wrybacks are great little dungeon monsters.

While 5e made reigar into celestials, IIRC, I've always felt they were fey--unseelie fey. Their minions only require a touch of reskinning: the lakshu could be constructs or highly specialized fey, and the shakti and esthestics could be humans and other mortal races magically twisted into vehicles.

Rastipedes make for an interesting intelligent, non-hive-based sapient insectoid, if you want something other than thri-kreen.

Rock hoppers can be another Small humanoid who happens to dwell in areas that have a lot of rock pillars, whether it's a Monument Valley-type of area or something like the Tianzi Mountain. (These types of rock formations are not used nearly enough in D&D settings).

Allura are an interesting alternative to the 'cubis.

Bloodsacs are a potentially interesting red herring, since blood drain typically makes people think of stirges or vampires.

Buzzjewels make for a nice Feywild animal, or a vermin that haunts dwarf mines.

With a few more Hit Dice, a contemplator could be used as a fallen titan or demigod, sitting alone on a mountaintop somewhere.

Firebirds are firebirds--phoenixes are rarely used in D&D, for some reason.

Fireliches are just a really weird undead.

The colonial grell's culture could be used as the main grell culture, if it's not already (it's been ages since I've read the 5e grell's entry).

Lhee are faerie dogs. Stick 'em in the Feywild and you're done.

Monitors, originally space cops, are pretty clearly celestials who will come to investigate mortal wrongdoings, rather than just waiting for fiends to take over.

Silatics are intelligent oozes that consume precious metals, making them a foil for any dungeon delver.

Skullbirds are ugly birds of ill omen. Have them nest in sargassums or ruins or other places where disasters have struck.

Astrosphinxes could make for an interesting fiend in a place like Acheron or Pandemonium, or could be a corrupted androsphinx on the Prime.

Stargazers are interesting monstrous predators for rocky areas.

Yitsan belong on tiny islands or other areas that are far away from any form of civilization, just so that the adventurers will be properly isolated when they scoop up their eggs.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Voadam is basically right here. MC3 largely continues the conversion of stuff from 1e, mostly the MM and MMII, with some FF thrown in.
True that. Which is a bit of a shame, really, for there were lots of weird and wonderful monsters by Ed Greenwood available at the time - the magebane, xantravar, scythetail, and quezzer from Dragon 140; the lock lurker, lybbarde, metalmaster, and serplar from Dragon 139; the xaver from Dragon 94; the dyll from Dragon 55; the lyhtlyx from Dragon 43; and, first but not least, the curst from The Dragon 30, to name but a few. Would've made MC3 a lot more interesting imho.

Remove ads