D&D 2E Looking for a 2e adventure to run for 5e

Zoetrope

Explorer
There was a book put out in the style of Book of Lairs but only had undead. I think they were set in the FR. It might be 1E. I ran a number of them over the years and enjoyed them.

That would be 'Lords of Darkness' (the 1e version, not the 3e which is entirely different) which has a series of short adventures featuring undead in rising difficulty level - from skeletons/ghouls to liches! Pretty easy to adapt and drop in to a 5e campaign.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
Another vote for the Mere of Dead Men series.

FR hasn't exactly been blessed with much in the way of good adventures, sadly, but I did enjoy N5 - Under Ilefarn back in the day. It's a 1e module though, so not sure if that disqualifies it for you.

casterblaster

First Post
I have no access to Dungeon or Dragon mags. Is there an archive somewhere I could get the adventure from? My interest is peaked for this adventure. Also has anyone ran Below the twisted tower that was included in the FR grey box set? I never got a chance to run in the 2e days. From what I have read of it it seems pretty deadly.

aramis erak

Legend
I have no access to Dungeon or Dragon mags. Is there an archive somewhere I could get the adventure from? My interest is peaked for this adventure. Also has anyone ran Below the twisted tower that was included in the FR grey box set? I never got a chance to run in the 2e days. From what I have read of it it seems pretty deadly.

Not legally, unless you can entice someone with sufficient cash for the CDs of Dragon 1-250.
Note that that archive wasn't actually legal, either, but it was Wizards' crime, not a 3rd party's crime.

Oh, and there are pirate archives of the whole run...

Nivenus

First Post
Another vote for the Mere of Dead Men series.

FR hasn't exactly been blessed with much in the way of good adventures, sadly, but I did enjoy N5 - Under Ilefarn back in the day. It's a 1e module though, so not sure if that disqualifies it for you.

All the good adventures have been CRPGs :p (which FR certainly has its fair share of).

Which actually does beg the question of how well a pen-and-paper conversion of an electronic module might work. Oddly, I don't think I've ever seen anyone try it (possibly because most CRPGs are built around the premise of a single protagonist and are generally a bit more linear than their pen-and-paper equivalents).

casterblaster

First Post
I have always wanted to turn BG1 & 2 into a pen & paper adventure, just never have time anymore to write out adventures. I also wondered why no one has yet. I was excited when Murder in Baldurs Gate came out and grabbed it up. It was a very fun read too.

Blue Phoenix RPG

Publisher/Designer
OK so if you're talking Forgotten Realms, the best adventure ever IMHO is The Desert of Desolation series written by Hickman and Weiss, the peeps who did the Dragonlance series and the original Ravenloft module. I'm debating about translating it into 5th edition...

Agamon

Adventurer
A good 2e adventure? I'm still waiting for one to be delivered to me by flying pig. :)

There are a number of good 1e adventures that have already been mentioned. I've found a few 3e adventures in Dungeon mag that have given me some ideas for my Silver Marches game. And the end game will be likely be loosely based on City of the Spider Queen.

Ackbladder

Explorer
IMO, 2E was kind of a low point for adventures. Some good 1st edition adventures are the aforementioned Under Illefarn, and I really like Ravager of Time as well (although I haven't run or played it).

If you're willing to consider 3E material, I'd recommend Forge of Fury and Red Hand of Doom. I'm glueing those together to form a post LMoP campaign, although I have heavily modified my starting area to make it amenable to a RHoD invasion scenario. Forge will basically be repopulated and redone to be in the L5-8 range, and RHoD will be totally redone keeping only the basic ideas and plot lines. ie instead of the Ghost Lord, the invaders will have stolen Agatha's pseudo-phylactery and holding it in Leilon in order to force her to co-operate by supplying ghost treants for the northern offensive.

After I'd decided on those (based only on my appreciation of them as standalone adventures), I noticed all were written or co-written by Rich Baker. So I now consider him my favorite adventure author of all time.

Remove ads