• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Feat...

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Psimancer:

Is your friend talking about a feat that allows you to treat armor as one step lower when dealing with arcane magic penalties?

I.e - Take a feat, and the heavy armor arcane spellcasting penalty reduces from 30% down to whatever the next armor is, etc.?

Or is it reall just a "treat armor as if it were mythril or something, even though it's not."

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Ahha. I have found two types of feats, one that most definitely sounds like what your friend is talking about, and the others from the same book.

Mongoose Ultimate Feats d20:

Arcane Armor Proficiency (I won't type the whole description, not worth it):
By opting to cast a spell by concentrating for full-round-action, you can reduce the arcane spellcasting penalty by 20%, up to a minimum of 5%.

(Note: the Heavy Arcane Armor Proficiency Feat reduces by 30%)

Pre-reqs: Must be proficient in armor type you wish to be arcane proficient in. You must have the Arcane Light to get Arcane Medium, and both of those to get Arcane Heavy. Each feat only works for its specific type, and the effects from those feats obviously will not stack.

--That's the extra one. Here's the one that definitely sounds like the one your friend wants--

Armor Focus [General]
You move around in a certain type of armor without effort.

Prerequisites: Proficient with armor, base attack bonus +1 or higher.

Benefit: When wearing a specified type of armor, it inflicts one less skill penalty and the maximum Dexterity bonus is raised by one. This cannot change the skill penalty into a bonus.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. The effect does not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of armor.

Psimancer

First Post
Thanks for your help guys, but no, that’s not it.

In essence, this feat should allow a Barbarian to wear Heavy armour and still benefit from Fast Movement.

Sejs; I have seen that one, and it is the closest (print) published so far… unfortunately it is a little too campaign specific...

Taloras; I checked Swashbuckling Adventures last night, and nope, not in there either… and I must say, that is one crunchy tome... :p

The additional sources I have checked: Swashbuckling Adventures, Mongoose Ultimate Feats, AEG Feats, Netbook of Feats, Most WotC books, Conan & Lone Wolf RPGs (Mongoose). The funny thing is, the more I think about it, the more I think that I too may have come across it in my travels... my next ports of call are Fantasy Flight Games and Malhavoc...

I have found the perfect feat on-line at The Hyborian Age, but we have a fairly strict ‘no on-line’ policy in my game; we will accept print published and (most) pdfs for consideration, so if I can just find it somewhere…

BTW, this is the on-line feat:

Expert Armor Use [Special]

You know how to wear your armor for maximum efficiency.

Prerequisite: Fighter, any Armor Proficiency.

Benefit: When wearing medium or heavy armor, for purposes of movement you may treat the armor as if it were one category lighter (ie. banded armor is treated as Medium armor and a breastplate is treated as if it were Light armor). This only affects movement. Armor penalties, arcane spell failure and weight are all unaffected.

DanMcS

Explorer
Psimancer said:
I have found the perfect feat on-line at The Hyborian Age, but we have a fairly strict ‘no on-line’ policy in my game; we will accept print published and (most) pdfs for consideration, so if I can just find it somewhere…

OT: Why? Putting the feat in a PDF doesn't make it any better or worse, and printing it doesn't change the content one bit. All that means is that somebody was capable of using Acrobat to lay it out and save-as->PDF.

Psimancer

First Post
DanMcS said:
OT: Why? Putting the feat in a PDF doesn't make it any better or worse, and printing it doesn't change the content one bit. All that means is that somebody was capable of using Acrobat to lay it out and save-as->PDF.
Hence the use of the word ‘most’.

Put simply, you need to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

We have a group composed of multiple DMs running multiple games and have a joint agreement on what is and isn’t acceptable.

Anyway, the player in question said that this was not the source that he quoted, so it still leaves the question of what he actually read unanswered.

Taloras

First Post
When I get back to my computer, ill look thru my pdfs for something like this, and Friday ill look thru my friends books. I know ive seen it somewhere...

Psimancer

First Post
Thanks man, I appreciate it...

The more I look for it, the more I think I have seen it too - in the distant past. But I have sooo many books, both print and pdf, that they all blur together...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads