Looking for a good Sci-fi setting

My group has been together (most of it) since 2002. We switch settings about every 12-13 months. We're due for a sci-fi setting soon, as usually we go fantasy, post-apoc, scfi-fi, back to fantasy, with a couple Old West campaign in the mix. We're currently half-way through a fantasy campaign, Degenesius is locked and loaded next, and beyond that, sci-fi.

We've done Fading Suns (twice), Firefly/Serenity, FTL Now, and a sort of bastardized Traveler thing that got wildly out of control and in retrospect reflected badly on all involved.

What my guys would go for is a finite space map, detail that is less intense than WH 40k but still fully developed, and if possible dark and decaying (we're big fans of dark and decaying). Coriolis is not an option. Transhuman is likely not going to be utilized much if it is included, as there is a dearth of interest.

The group's sci-fi tastes are heavily influenced by the TV series (not the movie) Firefly, modestly by Star Wars, and if not carefully regulated, quickly becomes Unethical Bastards in Space. But basically, the small struggling ship crew with money problems and a temperamental ship is the sort of thing they like. Exploration is viewed as boring at best, especially as they know I'm not going to let them encounter any primitive cultures ever again.

So, to recap: a sci-fi setting with a finite starmap, no magic, good setting detail, loose or broken government control, and not Fading Suns, WH 40k, FTL Now, Firefly, Traveler, Star Wars, Star Trek, or Coriolis. The system isn't an issue.

Last edited:

I highly recommend Star Without Number. There's a free version with 90% of the rules if you want to check it out (I think the only things it leaves out are the rules for AIs and mechs). The system is designed for sandbox play. There's also a free online tool, Sectors Without Number, that you can use to generate star maps and worlds.

Thanks, but as I said, I'm looking for a limited star map. SWN is too sprawling for our tastes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases