Looking for a good Sci-fi setting

Fanaelialae

Legend
Yes that's the one, I believe the RPG is a fairly new release
Yeah, it was done as a Kickstarter, but is now generally available. I got my copy a few months back. Pretty good system. Lots of background info for the setting (a fair amount of which you would be familiar with if you've read the books, but practically indispensable for someone more familiar with the show).

The Churn rules (optional system for generating rising action) feel a tad underdeveloped (or at least felt like they could have used a few more examples), but they aren't bad IMO.

I don't know if you're interested in the anime/manga direction, but there is the series Five Star Stories. It's a series that takes place over centuries, involving the unification/conquest of a small star cluster by the future Emperor. The governments are feudal in nature, the previous civilization having fallen victim to the "great collapse" syndrome a few thousand years ago The bigger battles taking place between gigantic mechs called Mortarheads, piloted by who are essentially knights.

It's a huge story with lots of background info. If you don't care the for the anime tropes of mechs and such, it can still be used for inspiration or altered to use with standard war machines than mechs. I used it as an inspiration, with a number of changes, for a space opera campaign of my own a long time ago.

There was another series that a GM of min based a Spacemaster campaign around. I wish I could remember the name, but it's been too long. I recall there were 3 or 4 planets (I think) of about the level of tech humans have in the Aliens universe, all independently ruled. The one thing I really remember is that people could have their physical ages frozen at a certain point, usually early 30's, so they could live for much longer. I wish I could remember more. If I do I'll edit it in.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If you wan't a setting that is more contained, want more science in your science fiction, yet enjoy elegant mechanics that support cinematic adventures, check out The Expanse RPG. Personally, I think that The Expanse is best suited for mini campaigns, rather than something you'll want to run for years, but YMMV.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I see The Expanse has already been mentioned and may be a good fit, but I just wanted to mention Mothership as an option. It’s sci-fi horror very much in line with Alien, so I think the tone fits what you’re looking for.

The core rules are free. The setting within is only loosely implied, but there are a couple of supplements that help flesh out the setting a bit more. One is a series of adventure sites and the other is a city-sized space station. They’re both really great and offer a lot of inspiration. They’re also designed with utility in mind, so they’re very helpful for a GM to run.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Well how about the expanse? It sounds like it would fit your fluff requirement's

Yes. This one. I'm a huge Star Trek and Star Wars fan. But I'd jump to run/play this one with a group in a second. It reads really, really well.

You do NOT have to follow the plot of the show. And would probably work best if you didn't and just had the show moving along in the background.

I don't have my book in front of me. But I seem to recall that it's set after Book One, which is about the end of the first season (?), middle of the second (?). Definitely well before the end of the third. Definitely. No ring.

Yes. This one. I'm a huge Star Trek and Star Wars fan. But I'd jump to run/play this one with a group in a second. It reads really, really well.

You do NOT have to follow the plot of the show. And would probably work best if you didn't and just had the show moving along in the background.

I don't have my book in front of me. But I seem to recall that it's set after Book One, which is about the end of the first season (?), middle of the second (?). Definitely well before the end of the third. Definitely. No ring.

Yeah, definitely no ring in my campaign. But the political conflicts are excellent.

Remove ads