Looking for a good system to use for my world

Lanliss

Explorer
On the surface it looks like D&D but it's not. Modify D&D is hazardous and requires work. The AGE system is a toolbox. Pick and choose. Just ignore the level upgrades that don't work for you and use Gritty Mode.

• Focuses (skills) stack with abilities. You can't invest in the same Focus two levels in a row.
  • Talents (professional training) have three levels (novice, expert, master).
  • A specialization is gained at level 4. It also has three levels.

The Companion book offers a levelling up method that opens up the whole system to you. Just pick and choose how you want the PCs to progress. Each time they would gain an upgrade (vertical) give them a lateral (horizontal) choice instead.

Note that Social encounters and Exploration encounters are very well defined in this game. There are chase rules, hazard rules (fire in a building). There is a section on Reputation, honorific, contacts, membership in groups (gangs). Relationship bonds are also well defined. The Companion book has a ten page section on how to incorporate and use Organizations in your campaign.

If you want to know more download the free QSR of Modern AGE. It includes a mission and pre-gen characters. It will give you a good over view of the system:

One more question, as far as adding options in the future. I'm guessing that Fantasy AGE has a big focus on magic in the world, do the two work together easily, or would it take considerable modding to plug fantasy stuff into Modern AGE? I intend to have a fair bit of variety in spells that can be found, since it will be coming from a variety of sources, and want as many options as I can get.

atanakar

Hero
One more question, as far as adding options in the future. I'm guessing that Fantasy AGE has a big focus on magic in the world, do the two work together easily, or would it take considerable modding to plug fantasy stuff into Modern AGE? I intend to have a fair bit of variety in spells that can be found, since it will be coming from a variety of sources, and want as many options as I can get.

They work together easily. Fantasy AGE spells are in the two Modern AGE books. Modern AGE as an optional setting called Threefold. A multi-verse with alternate Earths and other worlds connected by portals. You have tech worlds, magic worlds and infernal worlds. I use that as my basis for my current Modern AGE campaign.

[Edit] The only Fantasy AGE book you might want to buy is the Bestiary to supplement your roster of creatures and foes. Modern AGE has Enemies & Allies in pdf but the physical copies are stuck in transit thanks to the C19 virus...

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’d go for a toolbox system- HERO, GURPS, etc.- because they‘re malleable. They’re going to support all kinds of different character concepts and mechanics from jump, and if you have a flash of inspiration to add something previously unknown to the mix, you’d be able to.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I’d go for a toolbox system- HERO, GURPS, etc.- because they‘re malleable. They’re going to support all kinds of different character concepts and mechanics from jump, and if you have a flash of inspiration to add something previously unknown to the mix, you’d be able to.
The downside is that toolbox systems tend to be pretty crunchy, and that's true of both HERO and GURPS, as much as both are excellent toolboxes. Some tables will be fine with that and others won't. In the OPs shoes I'd take a look at both, but they may or may not be a good fit.

Edit - Ironsworn isn't the game I meant. Once I figure out what the heck I'm talking about I'll tell you what I meant to say. :unsure:

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Ah-ha. The game I was thinking of, the one that feels kinda like Blades but with more traditional free-play focus rather than the Blades Planning-Score-Downtime cycle is the 2d20 Dishonored RPG from Modiphius. I just started reading it but it looks pretty sweet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The downside is that toolbox systems tend to be pretty crunchy, and that's true of both HERO and GURPS, as much as both are excellent toolboxes. Some tables will be fine with that and others won't. In the OPs shoes I'd take a look at both, but they may or may not be a good fit.

Edit - Ironsworn isn't the game I meant. Once I figure out what the heck I'm talking about I'll tell you what I meant to say. :unsure:
True, although 99% of the crunch in HERO is in character creation and advancement. In play, you almost never need touch the books.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
True, although 99% of the crunch in HERO is in character creation and advancement. In play, you almost never need touch the books.
That's very true. I think my first Champions character took my something like four or five hours to write up, at least. Power gaming needs attention and time if it's to be done correctly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not just power gaming! HERO can deliver that, but also all kinds of subtlety and nuance, depending on the goals the player sets out to achieve in designing their characters.

Best campaign I ever ran was in HERO: a Supers game set in the world of Space:1889, but with other elements added and amplified. It was so good because it wasn’t just me that got into it- I had 100% player buy-in. The “brick” dressed like an old-time circus strongman, complete with leopard skin togs and a big club. The sonic energy manipulator was a diva in every sense of the word. The gunslinger was a real gunslinger. Etc.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I wasn't suggesting that HERO only does power gaming, far from it. I made my first Champions character when I was maybe 16 though, and I optimized the everliving crap out of it. To the best of my recollection it was a Ghost Rider clone with a flaming chainsaw that did enormous critical damage or some such. I blush thinking about it. :geek:

That campaign sounds really cool btw.

Remove ads