• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a new RPG - Recommendations?

Tayne

First Post
Hey gang

I'm a 3.5/Pathfinder player looking for a change of pace. My best friend and I are having more and more trouble organizing play time around busy real life schedules and we were looking to try a new RPG that we could play one-on-one. I know that may seem weird, but we even did that with pathfinder a few times.

What we'd be looking for would hopefully be doable without a game board, and probably kind of 'rules-light.' I put that in quotes because I'm not even sure what a 'rules light' system looks like, to be honest. All I know is one of our current complaints is we no longer have time for hours of combat, and we'd prefer to get through stories a little faster.

It would help if the rules were online somewhere (like the pathfinder SRD) or if we could in some way otherwise preview it before we jump into a purchase.

Quickleaf

Legend
You know it's a shame True20 died out. It generated a lot of interest at the beginning and for good reason: the learning curve was fast for players already familiar with d20/3e system and the game is rules-lighter (not rules light). Combat is dangerous and fast, there are no HP rather a condition track, there are no opportunity attacks, the rules don't assume or require minis, spells are replaces by flexible powers, a single character can multi-class in any of the 3 roles (warrior, adept, expert). And there are QuickStart rules: http://true20.com/files/True20_quickstart.pdf.

That's probably the least dramatic change from your current Pathfinder game.

Greg K

Legend
You know it's a shame True20 died out. It generated a lot of interest at the beginning and for good reason: the learning curve was fast for players already familiar with d20/3e system and the game is rules-lighter (not rules light). Combat is dangerous and fast, there are no HP rather a condition track, there are no opportunity attacks, the rules don't assume or require minis, spells are replaces by flexible powers, a single character can multi-class in any of the 3 roles (warrior, adept, expert). And there are QuickStart rules: http://true20.com/files/True20_quickstart.pdf.

That's probably the least dramatic change from your current Pathfinder game.

True20 is my current choice for d20 class/level. I would be running it if it were not for Savage Worlds.

Greg K

Legend
Try Savage Worlds for free: Test Drive Savage Worlds: The Wild Hunt | Pinnacle Entertainment Group

We really like Savage Worlds. It is fast, furious & fun. There are only 3 of us left in our group, so I think it could work for the 2 of you.

I don't know how this version of the Test Drive is, but a previous version of the Test Drive had, initially, turned me off to Savage Worlds. I am grateful that I looked at the full version of the game which covered Tricks, Tests of Will and some other things not covered in the TD. If I had not looked at the full game, I would have missed out on what became my favorite non-supers rpg.

Mongoose's Legend (based on RuneQuest) is the original 'alternative' system to D&D. It's current version is a truly excellent generic fantasy system, which is pretty intuitive, and it's core rules can be purchased for $1 on drivethrurpg.

nedjer

Adventurer
There are two full, rules-light fantasy systems for download at Thistle Games. One a clone system, the other comparable in some ways to Traveller. Free, so help yourself if you like :)

Tayne

First Post
We are enjoying the look of savage worlds so far. Thanks everyone for the recommendations - I'm sure we'll get to trying the others out when we can.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads