D&D 5E Looking for adventure for new DM

koga305

First Post
Hey folks,

I'm posting on behalf of a friend and member of my D&D group, who has offered to run a couple of games for a few of the people who DM regularly and could use a break. (The world needs more players like her!)

We're looking for a 5E adventure, or a short series of adventures, that:

- Isn't one of the hardbacks; the regular DMs have all ran some of them.
- Isn't a conversion or something that would take a ton of prep to run well
- Is fun, to run and to play!

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions - DM's Guild, Adventurers League, or anything really. Thanks in advance!

pukunui

Legend
My suspicion is that at least one of the DM players will have run LMoP.
If that's the case, any of the starter adventures for the various AL seasons would do just fine. They're all pretty decent, and they all consist of 5 short mini-adventures designed to help you get your feet wet.

koga305

First Post
Sounds like you want the Lost Mine of Phandelver from the 5e Starter Set. It's designed with new DMs in mind.
That's definitely a great recommendation, but as mentioned below most of us have a lot of experience with that adventure.

If that's the case, any of the starter adventures for the various AL seasons would do just fine. They're all pretty decent, and they all consist of 5 short mini-adventures designed to help you get your feet wet.

Makes sense. Is there a set that you would particularly recommend? We have played through the Tyranny of Dragons and Elemental Evil ones, but haven't touched the others.

My suspicion is that at least one of the DM players will have run LMoP.

This looks like an awesome adventure and something a little different for the DMs hopefully: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3c3vqe/army_of_the_damned_my_free_dd_adventure_set_in/

That looks cool! Some of us are Magic fans but the volunteer DM is not. Innistrad could work, though - one group has been playing through Curse of Strahd so if she wanted to run an adventure in that same mold but not in Barovia.

Keep the suggestions coming - it's great to have some options to choose from!

pukunui

Legend
Makes sense. Is there a set that you would particularly recommend? We have played through the Tyranny of Dragons and Elemental Evil ones, but haven't touched the others.
I've run a few of the Rage of Demons season, including the opening adventure. They're fun. I particularly like one of the later ones, Herald of the Moon.

I haven't played any of the Curse of Strahd AL adventures, but they're meant to be run as a continuous series, unlike the previous seasons, so there is that.

I'm not familiar enough with the current season to be able to recommend it or not.

Quickleaf

Legend
That looks cool! Some of us are Magic fans but the volunteer DM is not. Innistrad could work, though - one group has been playing through Curse of Strahd so if she wanted to run an adventure in that same mold but not in Barovia.

Keep the suggestions coming - it's great to have some options to choose from!
[MENTION=6801558]robus[/MENTION] that Innistrad adventure looks really interesting!

Well...if you want to run a Ravenloft/Barovia adventure, I wrote one she might enjoy: The Beast of Graenseskov. For 1st-4th level. Very much in the horror mystery genre.

I've also heard good things about Monica Valentinelli's In Volo's Wake, might have to pick that one up. She had a really great interview a while back that makes me think she has a solid design aesthetic and experience.

More broadly, I highly recommend Merric's list of 5e adventure by level.

Horwath

Legend
Lost mines of Phandelver intermixed with Stormkings thunder for start.

Then if you are still standing throw them into underdark from Out of the Abyss.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Another option would be cave of the missing from DMs Guild.

Not as much "hand holding" as the starting AL adventures, but well written and easy to run for a new DM. I've DMd part of Harried in Hillsfar (the first Out of the Abyss AL module) and found it fairly easy to use.

Remove ads