Looking for advice from parents: Gaming with baby

sniffles

First Post
I would just like to put in an opinion on behalf of gamers who are not parents: Don't assume that your friends will be okay with kids during the game. Using myself as an example of what I'm talking about, I am personally not at all comfortable with children. I'd rather have spiders crawling on me than have to spend time with a child of any age. I tell my friends this up front, and fortunately for me most of them are also childless by choice. But you may not even be aware that you have friends who feel similarly to me. It's kind of a social taboo to dislike kids, so they may be uncomfortable speaking up.
:)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Thank goodness she left the table!

I've met others - thankfully not while gaming! - who don't.

My wife doesn't leave the gaming table while breast feeding. There's nothing gross about it. A kiddie blanket over the shoulder or a scarf gives the baby and mother the privacy they need.

Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Thank goodness she left the table!

I've met others - thankfully not while gaming! - who don't.
I've been around plenty of mothers who were breastfeeding--there's no reason it should be distracting, especially if she uses a good blanket/cover or something and is actually concerned about "not showing."

As for The Sigil's post--it's absolutely true that kids' personalities play a big part into it. We also try not to judge a parent by an unruly kid--at least too much. HOWEVER, even an unruly kid should have bounds that he knows better than to cross. And most of the time I know an unruly kid, he's also got unruly brothers and sisters. Four for four, for instance (the kids of some friends of ours) is probably *not* an issue of kids' personalities and probably is one of parenting style.

Remove ads