• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Alternate Totem Warriors (Bat, Rat, Spider, etc)

phindar

First Post
I looked around over at diamondthrone.com, and I thought here would be a good place to check as well. I planning on running an underdark game and I thought it'd be neat to have totems specific to the location, specifically Bat, Rat, Spider and so on. I'm going to scratch out some rules for them, but I'm always on the lookout for wise and learned council.

While we're on the subject, I'm also probably going to need subterranean witch variants but I haven't gotten there yet.

phindar

First Post
Bat Totem

Hit Dice: d8

Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Bat Totem Warriors are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, and with Light and Medium Armors, and Shields.

Additional Class Skills: Knowledge (Geography) and Sneak.

Special: Bat Totems receive a +2 inherent bonus to Sneak checks.

Animal Companion: A Tiny 2 HD bat with the following stat modifications: HD 2d8, Attack bite +6 (d4-1), Fort +3, Ref +6, STR 8. At 4 HD it becomes size Small. At 8 HD it becomes Medium and at 12 HD it becomes Large.

Totem Powers: A Bat Totem gains these powers as he levels.

1st level - Sense the Unseen (su): A Bat's senses are preternaturally sharp. He gains the benefits of the feat Sense the Unseen, even if he would not normally meet the prereqs.

4th level - Form of the Bat (su): The Bat Totem Warrior may take the form and stats of his animal companion.

8th level - At Home in the Dark (ex): Blindsense 30'. Silence spells negate this ability.

12th level - Wings of the Bat (su): Once per day as a standard action, the Bat Totem Warrior grows wings that last for 10 minutes per class level. These wings allow him to fly at double his normal speed with average maneuverability.

(Edited for Animal Comp stats.)

Last edited:

phindar

First Post
Spider Totem

I should note that I am only creating a totem warrior creation up to 12th level since the game I'm intending to run is going to cap out around 10th. That's my default setting anyway, if it advances beyond that I can cross that bridge later.

Spider Totem

Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Spider Totem Warriors are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, and with Light and Medium Armors, and Shields.

Additional Class Skills: Disable Device, Sneak and Bluff.

Special: Spider Totems receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class and a +1 inherent bonus to Reflex Saves. Spider Totems also receive a +4 inherent bonus to Craft checks.

Animal Companion: At 3rd level the Spider Totem Warrior gains a Small Monstrous Spider companion. While this companion retains all Vermin Traits, it’s bond with the Totem Warrior gives it an Intelligence score of 3. This increases normally as it advances.

Totem Powers: A Spider Totem gains these powers as he levels.

1st level - Senses of the Spider (su): The reflexes of the Spider Totem are so great as to border on precognition. He cannot be caught flat-footed. This is treated as the feat Intuitive Sense, even if the totem warrior would not otherwise meet the prerequisites for this feat.

4th level - Shape of the Spider (su): The Spider Totem Warrior may take the form and stats of his animal companion once per day for up to 10 minutes per class level.

8th level - Web Spinner (sp): The Spider Totem can cast the spell Eldritch Web once per day as a caster of his class level.

12th level - Pinpoint Prey (su): The Spider Totem gains Tremorsense 30’.

I'm worried that this comes off a little too much like Spider-Man, but if the Wolverine Totem warrior can do it...

phindar

First Post
Not trying to bump the threat count, but I want to keep all these together.

Rat Totem

Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Rat Totem Warriors are proficient with all Simple, Martial and Exotic (Agile) Weapons, and with Light Armor, and Shields.

Additional Class Skills: Sneak, Bluff, and Sleight of Hand.

Special: Rat Totems receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class and a +1 inherent bonus to Reflex Saves.

Animal Companion: Small rat that conforms to the statistics for the Dire Rat. This rat becomes Medium Size at 4 HD and Large Size at 7 HD.

Totem Powers: A Rat Totem gains these powers as he levels.

1st level – Agile Fighter (ex): A Rat Totem warrior gains the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat. Likewise, he can choose to substitute his DEX modifier for his STR modifier for the purpose of Climb and Swim checks.

4th level – Form of the Rat (su): The Rat Totem Warrior may take the form and stats of his animal companion once per day for up to 10 minutes per class level.

8th level – Led By The Nose (sp): The Rat Totem Warrior gains the Scent ability, as per the spell Scent Tracker.

12th level – Fights Dirty (su): With a successful attack a natural weapon or one that has been prepared for it, the Rat Totem Warrior has the ability to infect his opponents with an affliction similar to Filth Fever. Creatures damaged by such an attack must succeed on a Fortitude Save DC 10 + Totem Warrior’s CON bonus + ½ his class level or suffer an immediate d3 DEX and d3 CON damage.

Aldarc

Legend
phindar said:
I looked around over at diamondthrone.com, and I thought here would be a good place to check as well. I planning on running an underdark game and I thought it'd be neat to have totems specific to the location, specifically Bat, Rat, Spider and so on. I'm going to scratch out some rules for them, but I'm always on the lookout for wise and learned council.

While we're on the subject, I'm also probably going to need subterranean witch variants but I haven't gotten there yet.
If you can dig through the rumble on Montecook.com's forum under AE Rules, there was once a HUGE thread of variant Totem Warriors.

phindar

First Post
The forums from montecook.com and diamondthrone.com are one in the same. I had high hopes for finding some of these over there, but apparently they lost a bunch of posts that were never recovered or rewritten-- bat totems among them. Posters over there suggested putting new totem warriors up on the AE Wiki, which I haven't done since my versions are kind of half-assed. They only go up to level 12. In that tradition, I give you the

Cave Witch

Cave Witches are at home in the dark recesses of the earth, and it is from there they draw their power. The endless caverns are their domain, and the earth holds no secrets from them.

Witchery: Cave witches receive have Darkvision 60’. Witches who already have Darkvision have its range increased by +30’.

Additional Class Skills: Climb (Str) and Listen (Wis).

Manifestations:

Blade - Stone Blade: The Cave Witch can call into being a short sword, long sword or great sword made of stone. The witch is proficient with the blade, which operates in all ways like a normal sword except that it does +1 damage per five witch levels. The sword does both the normal damage type for the weapon (piercing or slashing) as well as bludgeoning.

Fire - Lava Blast: As a standard action the Cave Witch launches a blast of liquid hot magma at a target within 50 feet. It inflicts 2d6 points of fire damage plus 1d6 per 2 class levels, although a Reflex Save (DC 10 + half of witch's level + WIS bonus) reduces this damage by half. The Cave Witch can use this ability a number of times per day equal to his WIS bonus. Witches without a WIS bonus can use this ability once per week.

Song – Song of Stone: The Cave Witch can sing a song that gives his skin the solidity of stone. He gains Damage Resistance 1/-- +1 per 5 witch levels. This DR stacks with all others. Singing a song of stone is a full round action that provokes and attack of opportunity, but it lasts until dispelled. It does not remain while the witch is asleep or unconscious.

Spirit - Enduring Spirit: When the Cave Witch is standing on or otherwise in contact with a surface of natural, unworked stone he receives a +1 circumstance bonus to attacks, damage, saves and checks. This ability increases by +1 per ten witch levels.

Storm - Earthquake: The concept of a storm is alien to the Cave Witch; when the caves show their displeasure, it is the stone itself that rages. As a standard action once per day, the Cave Witch causes the earth to quake, forcing everyone within a 30’ radius to succeed on a Reflex Save DC 10 + ½ his class level + WIS modifier or fall prone. This ability can be used to cause cave-ins in areas that are particularly susceptible to them.

Word - Stone Speech: By speaking a single word, the Cave Witch can attune her hearing to ignore any natural stone around her. The Witch may make unimpeded Listen checks and if the Witch so chooses, she may speak and have her voice heard through the stone. Anything other than natural stone that would block sound (running water, lava, worked stone, etc) does so normally. Empty passages, or anything that does not block sound, does not block this ability. The Cave Witch may use this ability a number of times per day equal to her WIS bonus, for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm not wild about Enduring Spirit. The prevailing wisdom is that a situational +1 to combat isn't sexy enough. But I'm drawing kind of a blank on a better manifestation.

Remove ads