• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for alternative spellcasting systems...

Guilt Puppy

First Post
...either ones which already exist, or suggestions for creating a new one.

My problems with the existing spell-casting system:

- The whole spell-level system doesn't scale too effectively, and it's too full of quantum leaps... It limits the value you can place upon a spell (if it's a first level spell, it costs you as much as any other first-level spell... trag). I'd like to be able to have, for instance, powerful spells that a lower-level character could cast, but require a greater investment...

- The complete restriction of spell-casting to spell-casting classes doesn't fit the way I look at magic IMC's... Granted, they should have the most spell-casting ability, but it would be nice to be able to pick up some magical ability as a feat. (Again, this is just a personal campaign thing: I like my worlds to be high-magic, and for magic to be no more or less exotic than, say, a spiked chain.)

- Having a number of spells/day doesn't fit into the time scale of my campaign, which varies between days of dense combat to weeks of light combat. There's no hesitation to throw out a crapload of spells when you're not in the middle of combat.

- Multi-classing into spell-casting classes currently just doesn't work... The current spell system is balanced under the assumption that a character will take only that class... First level spells are useful for the first few levels, but at higher levels, you have proportionally less to show for taking a spell-casting class than other classes.

Now, let me clarify that I don't think these are out-right problems with the D&D magic system... I'm not saying it's broken, I'm just saying it doesn't quite fit the sort of fantasy that I'd like to run under D&D (and yes, it's the optimum system: for one, I have all the materials, for another, I have little problem with the game mechanics.)

Currently, I'm thinking a Magic Point system modelled after the hit point system could work effectively. You know, 1dX+Wis per level (dependent on class), restoring a certain point per night (total hit dice? hit dice plus wisdom?)

Spells would be rewritten: Instead of levels and times per day, they would have a flat cost. Most casting would be spontaneous: However, this would be limited by spells known. Wizards would have the ability to prepare spells from a spellbook, effectively increasing their spell-casting ability, but they would have a limit on the total MP invested in prepared spells based on level. Clerics likewise would have a prayerbook, same effect. Sorcerors would have a greater number of spells known to them, and a slightly better spell list.

Now, regarding "spell lists"... I'm thinking of treating every single spell as a feat, and giving each one prereqs to limit the level it can be taken at. "Spell lists" would simply be the spells you could take as bonus feats for your Wizard/Sorceror/Cleric/Whatever level. Prepared spells would still force you to know the prereqs, but they'd also give you more versatility.

Also, I want the spells themselves to be more generalized... For instance, there would be one Cure spell, and its power would vary dependent on the MP expended (4 MP per d8, plus 1 per extra point, for example, with certain limits attached).

Further, this opens up the option of "crafting" spells on the fly... Say what you want to do, DM specifies a price for it... Since you don't actually know the spell, it forces a spellcraft roll of some sort. If you fail, the cost is expended, but the spell does not occur. Same principle could be applied to existing spells that aren't known.

Now, one problem with this is, non-casters don't have anything to do with their MP's unless they take feats. However, you can make certain unique class features MP-dependent: Paladin's Lay on Hands, for instance, or even the barbarian's rage... although this raises some BIG problems with characters taking classes with a higher magic die simply to power their own class abilities.

Now, I figure other systems like this have probably been written... If you could point me to some, I'd be grateful lots. However, critique of the above is also highly appreciated (I'm fully aware of how much it starts to mess with a lot of other game mechanics, but since I don't want to use published monsters much any more, there's some relief). Finally, totally new ideas which resolve the four problems I have with the system as-is are also superb.

Crothian

First Post
Well, Chaos Magic by Mongoose has a very interesting take on magic. Magic by AEG has a few options in it, even though the book is mostly new arcane core classes.

Happiest_Sadist

First Post
If you want to use chaos magic, be prepared to do a lot of work to balance it. The whole system is based upon d20 checks and subdual damage with devistating faliures. Although I like the concept, the spells you can build are very unbalanced and ill defined. I wouldn't reconend that.

CerberusAOD

First Post
-Scale the spell DC based on class or character level (or a save) rather than the level of the spell.
-Check out the WoT book...nice to have quite a few spells designed to be cast at different levels.
-SWd20 is kinda neat...use HP to cast and mostly feat- and skill-based.
-Allow higher level spells to use more spell slots of lower level(s) (until they reach a level where they have the slots for it). I don't know how this does at higher levels, but for level 1-4 it works amazingly well.

You could also look at converting HERO type magic to create the base spells you are looking for. Use Aid for buffing, or healing, and so on. Institute a spell casting check, and have the DC and spell point costs for the spells be modified by the cost of the spell itself + or - any modifiers gained from the spell modifiers... It would probably be a little complicated to write up but I think in the end it would make for a very interesting spell system. It something I have been thinking about tinkering with for a while. Just a little to lazy to do it.

Afrodyte

Explorer
something i'm toying with

I posted this on the Wizards board about what I would like to do to make spellcasting more internally consistent with my ideas about magic, and I think it addresses a few of your major concerns. You can find it
here

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads