• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for an old, possibly apocryphal book

khyron1144

First Post
I remember a 2e era April issue of Dragon (#228?) that had a sort of parody of the First Quest column called Last Quest about embarrasing ways for PCs to bite it.

It suggested a garlic bread golem was one. A book of bad fantasy monsters from the 80s is alluded to as the source of the garlic bread golem.

Anybody ever own this book?

Anybody have a title?

T. Foster

First Post
Judges Guild's Field Guide to Encounters perhaps? I never owned this but from what I understand it was chock-full of bizarre/lame monsters along those lines.

khyron1144

First Post
ephemeron said:
Behold the power of Google. A search for "garlic bread golem" led me to this ENWorld thread from last summer, in which tzor identifies the source as "All the World's Monsters". Googling "All the World's Monsters" brought up this DriveThruRPG page -- yep, three volumes are available in PDF for $4.98 each.

I bow to your superior google fu.

That second link has not been working for me.

Nobleknight hasn't heard of All The World's Monsters as far as I can tell. I prefer print to PDF, but actually have never bought anything online, I just ocasionally check Nobleknight and The Hit Pointe to see if something has existed once upon a time.

Last edited:

T. Foster

First Post
Heh, I shouldn't have even needed Google because I actually have all three volumes of ATWM (just bought the pdfs a couple-three weeks ago). In my defense, though, there are a LOT of monsters in those books, and I haven't had anywhere near enough time to digest them all yet...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
T. Foster said:
Heh, I shouldn't have even needed Google because I actually have all three volumes of ATWM (just bought the pdfs a couple-three weeks ago). In my defense, though, there are a LOT of monsters in those books, and I haven't had anywhere near enough time to digest them all yet...

I understand, recent studies suggest, that digesting the garlic bread golem will be a heart healthy way to TPK your PCs. :)

kenobi65

First Post
Mark CMG said:
I understand, recent studies suggest, that digesting the garlic bread golem will be a heart healthy way to TPK your PCs. :)

Alas, the latest research (just heard this news story in the last week or so) indicates no positive benefits to heart health (i.e., reduced cholesterol, etc.) from garlic consumption.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
kenobi65 said:
Alas, the latest research (just heard this news story in the last week or so) indicates no positive benefits to heart health (i.e., reduced cholesterol, etc.) from garlic consumption.
Yes, but D&D's a fantasy game.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
kenobi65 said:

Only in golem form, apparently. :)

Voadam

Legend
khyron1144 said:
I bow to your superior google fu.

That second link has not been working for me.

Nobleknight hasn't heard of All The World's Monsters as far as I can tell. I prefer print to PDF, but actually have never bought anything online, I just ocasionally check Nobleknight and The Hit Pointe to see if something has existed once upon a time.

ENWorld turns the dtrpg.com site links into ones for the enworld pdf store.

on dtrpg it is under the publisher Chaosium, in their all the worlds monsters category.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads