Looking for an underground dungeon adventure ....

BWP

Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an adventure (doesn't have to be generic D&D3.5, although the closer it is the better) that can fit within the following guidelines:

* A journey deep underground. Ideally, something with the same sort of underground travel concept as the old AD&D D1-D3 adventures. (I don't want to use those adventures, however.)

* Big 'n' meaty. I want the PCs to spend a longish time there (but not the entire campaign!). The PCs are currently around L8. I don't mind if I have to adjust the opponents, but obviously the less work I have to do the better. :)

* No evil temples, please. Former temples of now-dead gods would be OK, but no "active" worship, if it can be helped. (Some "evil god worship" would be OK if it was a background thing, and not a major plot point.)

* I'm begging ya, no drow. Yuan-ti, or something like them, would be kind of cool, though.

Thanks in advance for all ideas proffered!

DarrenGMiller

First Post
How about Necromancer Games' Grey Citadel. It has a considerable portion of it underground and is meaty. There is a well developed city base as well.

Not sure you will find anything that meets all of your criteria. You want something like D1-3 (which featured Drow and evil god worship), but not them, in 3.5 preferably, but like 1E (as D1-3 were) and with no Drow (which D1-3 had). I was going to recommend the Istivin: City of Shadows campaign arc, which I recently finished. It is A LOT like D1-3 and even has some of the same NPC's or their descendents, but has Drow and evil god worship.

DM

smootrk

First Post
There is always Rappan Athuk.

Also, I have thought of using D1-3 but using Githyanki instead of Drow, inserting a lot of material from Dragon/Dungeon Magazine that detailed the Gith... with a final foray into the Astral Plane to deal with the Lich Queen (instead of the finale Lolth's Demonweb).

Most of the module(s) can be 'as is' just switching the drow city for a Gith outpost.

Jim Hague

First Post
Obligatory plug here - The World's Largest Dungeon, available at a hefty discount in most stores and online. And it's entirely underground. And modular. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Some suggestions that (somewhat) meet your criteria:

- Lost City of Barakus (Necromancer Games) - too low level for your group, though (1-5)
- Rappan Athuk (Necromancer Games)
- Kingdom of the Ghouls (Dungeon #70; 2e)
- Vault of Larin Karr (Necromancer Games)
- Night Below (2e box, if converted it's for 3e levels 2-14+)
- The Ship of Night (Dungeon #20; 2e)
- Dragon Mountain (2e box, more big dungeon like Undermountain than D1-3)
- Thunder Under Needlespire (Dungeon #24; 2e)
- Iron Orb of the Duergar (Dungeon #46; 2e) - probably too high of level

These all have fairly extensive underground ways that require fairly long travel, and are very easily expandable).

BWP

Explorer
wolf70 said:
Not sure you will find anything that meets all of your criteria.

Yeah, I know. I'm just looking for ideas to work with. I don't really expect to find something suitable "out of the box", just looking for something that would be a "close enough" match.

I don't want drow because they're completely inappropriate for my campaign world, and I don't really want a city of bad guys because that's not what I'm aiming for. I guess I'm looking for something like a tomb, except it isn't (a dead guy's tomb, that is; something where a BBEG is asleep or otherwise dormant, and the lesser bad guys are guarding it/working to awaken it).

The closest match that I know of would have the underground travel portion of D1-D3, which I may just graft on (in some form) to the "underground tomb, that isn't" portion, if I can find a suitable contender from the suggestions I receive. I guess I need to take a closer look at Rappan Athuk and the other Necromancer Games suggestions. World's Largest Dungeon would not be at all appropriate, I'm afraid (not to mention out of my price range). Unfortunately I can't check out the older Dungeon suggestions too readily, either (have to work on acquiring more back issues, I guess).

Thanks to all for all suggestions so far!

Remove ads