• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for comments : a "Re-Design" of classes

Magic Slim

First Post
Hello all,

I had a little too much time on my hands this week-end, so I kinda did a little redesign of the base classes. Some I didn't change, some I changed a lot, and one I "created".

I had lingering ideas for the Sorcerer (now Dragon Mage), Barbarian (totem powers) and Monk (dojo techniques). I integrated some Prestige Class abilities to some classes. Some classes I didn't touch since they seemed fine to me. The classes that I touched became more powerful, no contest there.

I think what drove these modifications were so:
a) It's not that I don't like Prestige Classes, but if the generic class could offer enough variety so that Prestige Classes were less needed, I'd be happy.
b) Variety comes with choice, so instead of flat-out giving some Classes new powers, I tried to give some classes more choices as they went up in level.

I have no idea if this is at all balanced. Like I said, I pretty much made the classes I "tweaked" more powerful.

So if anyone were to be so kind as to give me some comments...

Thanks in advance!

Slim

PS: I left all the classes in there, even those I didn't touch. Besides each classe's name, there is an indication of how much I played with the class. The more "interesting" ones would be Dragon Mage, Barbarian, Monk, Fighter.

Attachments

• New Classes.zip
    78.2 KB · Views: 96

Magic Slim

First Post
If some of you don't want to D/L the document, lemme just post the Dragon Mage (hope the layout is OK in CODE)

Slim

EDIT: irk. The layout was horrible. Sorry about that.

Slim

Last edited:

Scion

First Post
I read through most of it, and generally I like what I see there. Especially the changes to the fighter, they get something every level and nothing is terribly overpowered (you might want to check the thread that is debating whether a fighter has enough skills/skill points, if nothing else he should be given profession).

Giving class beanies that are nice but not incredible does give characters more of a reason to stay straight classed, and give up more when they take prestige classes, always a good thing ;)

I havent read them all thoroughly enough to say if they are overpowered or not though, but the changes mostly seem to be more flavor anyway so I see no problems right off if you are going to use this in a campaign, or just playing.

For the dragon mage though, he gains a 'lot' over the sorcerer, perhaps you should throw a negative or two in there as well to help balance him out. Penalty to dex is possible, hinderance against the opposing energy type ( negative to saves same as bonus to saves, plus an extra 1 damage per die). With the stat bonuses, natural armor, and 3 feats its a bit major compared with the wizards bonuses even with an extra bonus feat (5 total rather than 4) and research (which is cool).

So, for the dragon mage at least, he needs a bit of a hit on the head. Couple of negatives to rebalance him to the wizards level ;) (skill bonus vs combat bonus, hard to say which is really better though)

Magic Slim

First Post
Scion said:
So, for the dragon mage at least, he needs a bit of a hit on the head. Couple of negatives to rebalance him to the wizards level ;) (skill bonus vs combat bonus, hard to say which is really better though)

Thanks for the info, really appreciated.

You're probably right for the Dragon Mage, he does get a LOT compared to the sorcerer, even if the Sorcerer is the 3.5 "chump" class. I'd rather give him a little less that impose penalties, though.

Slim

sinmissing

First Post
These are very nice modifications to the core classes. I like them a lot. This is the only thing that jumps out at me.

Master Channeler: The cleric becomes a master at channeling Positive or Negative energy (depending on her alignement or her god's alignment). The cleric casts all Cure (or Inflict, depending) spells as if they were Maximized (per the feat). The cleric needs not to use a higher slot, neither is the casting time increased. The Cleric also receives a +4 on turning (or rebuking, depending) checks and turning damage checks.

That seems kind of over powered. I need to munch this for a little while, this is just my gut reaction. I would like to see a cleric being able to spontaneously cast their domain spells. "Oh, your a cleric of a fire god? Let me see you cast some fire spells then. You say you can't? You didn't memorize any today? Some fire priest you are!"

Magic Slim

First Post
sinmissing said:
These are very nice modifications to the core classes. I like them a lot. This is the only thing that jumps out at me.

That seems kind of over powered. I need to munch this for a little while, this is just my gut reaction. I would like to see a cleric being able to spontaneously cast their domain spells. "Oh, your a cleric of a fire god? Let me see you cast some fire spells then. You say you can't? You didn't memorize any today? Some fire priest you are!"

Thanks for the input.

The Master Channeler ability is actually a combination of 2 hierophant (from the FRCS) special abilities, Faith Healing and Master of Energy.

A cleric / hierophant would have to be 14th total level to have those abilities, I gave them to the cleric at level 13.

Slim

Darklone

Looks nice, I'll chew on them a while and write something... Just wanted to say right now that I really like that idea of clerics being able to cast their domain spells spontaneously instead of the cure stuff.

Remove ads